2008-03-26 17:31:24

by John Goulah

Subject: problem with iwl4965 and kernel 2.6.24.4

I've installed the compat-wireless-2008-03-25 source and I can get the
module to load, but the network card is still not recognized under
ifconfig/iwconfig.

or under lspci:
06:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Unknown device 4229 (rev 61)

dmesg output on loading the module shows a problem registering the device:

iwl4965: Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN driver for Linux, 1.2.26k
iwl4965: Copyright(c) 2003-2008 Intel Corporation
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:06:00.0[A] -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:06:00.0 to 64
iwl4965: Detected Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
iwl4965: Tunable channels: 11 802.11bg, 13 802.11a channels
phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'iwl-4965-rs'
phy0: Failed to initialize wep
iwl4965: Failed to register network device (error -12)
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:06:00.0 disabled
iwl4965: probe of 0000:06:00.0 failed with error -12

As a side issue, I tried to grab the source from the repo but I am not
sure what I have to do to get that into a compilable state:

compat-wireless-2.6$ make
cat: /home/jgoulah/wdir/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-release: No such
file or directory
cat: /home/jgoulah/wdir/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-release: No such
file or directory
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.24.4-custom/build
M=/home/jgoulah/wdir/compat-wireless-2.6 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.24.4'
scripts/Makefile.build:41:
/home/jgoulah/wdir/compat-wireless-2.6/drivers/misc/Makefile: No such
file or directory
make[3]: *** No rule to make target
`/home/jgoulah/wdir/compat-wireless-2.6/drivers/misc/Makefile'. Stop.
make[2]: *** [/home/jgoulah/wdir/compat-wireless-2.6/drivers/misc] Error 2
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/jgoulah/wdir/compat-wireless-2.6] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.24.4'
make: *** [modules] Error 2

Any help is appreciated, if you need more info just let me know.

2008-03-26 18:49:22

by John Goulah

Subject: Re: problem with iwl4965 and kernel 2.6.24.4

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Chatre, Reinette
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 26, 2008 10:31 AM, John Goulah wrote:
>
> > iwl4965: Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN driver for Linux, 1.2.26k
> > iwl4965: Copyright(c) 2003-2008 Intel Corporation
> > ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:06:00.0[A] -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
> > PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:06:00.0 to 64
> > iwl4965: Detected Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
> > iwl4965: Tunable channels: 11 802.11bg, 13 802.11a channels
> > phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'iwl-4965-rs'
> > phy0: Failed to initialize wep
> > iwl4965: Failed to register network device (error -12)
> > ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:06:00.0 disabled
> > iwl4965: probe of 0000:06:00.0 failed with error -12
>
> Everything looks good here ... apart from the initializing wep failure.
> This error causes the interface not to show up. For this to succeed you
> need to ensure that some crypto modules are loaded. If your kernel is
> configured with KMOD then modprobe should take care of this for you. If
> not, then you can try loading the following modules manually before

Thanks! That got me somewhere- dmesg has no errors and iwconfig looks like:

$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth1 no wireless extensions.

sit0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

Warning: Driver for device wlan0 has been compiled with version 22
of Wireless Extension, while this program supports up to version 20.
Some things may be broken...

wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"goulahnet"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=0 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

Is this warning a problem? Does this mean I need to get a newer
iwconfig (I'm on debian etch, Wireless-Tools version 28)

Also, is this driver known to work with wpa_supplicant?

Thank you,
John

2008-03-26 18:20:15

by Reinette Chatre

On Wednesday, March 26, 2008 10:31 AM, John Goulah wrote:

> iwl4965: Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN driver for Linux, 1.2.26k
> iwl4965: Copyright(c) 2003-2008 Intel Corporation
> ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:06:00.0[A] -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
> PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:06:00.0 to 64
> iwl4965: Detected Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
> iwl4965: Tunable channels: 11 802.11bg, 13 802.11a channels
> phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'iwl-4965-rs'
> phy0: Failed to initialize wep
> iwl4965: Failed to register network device (error -12)
> ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:06:00.0 disabled
> iwl4965: probe of 0000:06:00.0 failed with error -12

Everything looks good here ... apart from the initializing wep failure.
This error causes the interface not to show up. For this to succeed you
need to ensure that some crypto modules are loaded. If your kernel is
configured with KMOD then modprobe should take care of this for you. If
not, then you can try loading the following modules manually before

Reinette

2008-03-31 02:35:16

by John Goulah

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Chatre, Reinette
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:41 AM, John Goulah wrote:
>
> >> It appears I am still having some issues here with associating.
> >> Could this be on the driver end of things? It doesn't happen with
> >> another box (other drivers)
> >>
> >> I can disassociate:
> >> $ sudo iwconfig wlan0 ap off
> >> $ iwconfig
> >>
> >> wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"goulahnet"
> >> Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point:
> >> Not-Associated Tx-Power=14 dBm
> >>
> >> Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
> >> Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
> >> Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
> >> Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
> >>

> >> What I was doing before is showing Invalid:
> >>

> >> $ sudo iwconfig wlan0 ap any (same for auto here) $ iwconfig
> >>
> >> wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"goulahnet"
> >> Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Invalid
> >> Tx-Power=14 dBm
> >>
> >> Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
> >> Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
> >> Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
> >> Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
> >>

> >> It does seem a bit random, and I did have it working there for a
> >> while, but it looked like if issue ctrl-C to wpa_supplicant it got
> >> into this state, or a reboot.
> >>
> >> Anything I can try here?
> >>

> > Quick followup, one thing I've found is that I can scan as root and
> > see my access point in the list:
> >
> > Cell 09 - Address: 00:15:E9:FA:E2:DB
> > ESSID:"goulahnet"
> > Mode:Master
> > Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
> > Channel:11 Quality=84/100 Signal level=-50 dBm
> > Noise level=-127 dBm
> > Encryption key:on
> > IE: WPA Version 1
> > Group Cipher : CCMP
> > Pairwise Ciphers (1) : CCMP
> > Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
> > IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
> > Group Cipher : CCMP
> > Pairwise Ciphers (1) : CCMP
> > Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
> > Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
> > 11 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24
> > Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
> > 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
> > Extra:tsf=00000208dd78c752
> >

> > One time, that even got me associated. But after removing the module
> > and trying again to be sure, I'm still showing "Invalid"
> >
> > This seems a bit odd to me- Ideas are appreciated, I'm happy to
> > debug where appropriate -
>
> The driver and wpa_supplicant is able to provide more debugging
> information. Could you please capture debugging from both and submit a
> bug to http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/bugzilla/?
>
> wpa_supplicant debugging is obtained by running it with -ddt option
> driver debugging is obtained by loading driver with debugging enabled
> (modprobe iwl4965 debug=0x43fff)
>
> If possible, please annotate logs to indicate what you did at the time.

I just wanted to follow up before posting a bug. I ran the module in
debug mode, but I don't see (in dmesg) any info in terms of the
initial associating to the AP problem. Running wpa_supplicant did
give some info, but the only problem with that after you are
associatied is on disconnect it makes you lose the AP association
(perhaps this is a separate bug in itself)

One piece of info I did pickup while using wpa_supplicant is:

wlan0: association frame received from 00:15:e9:fa:e2:db, but not in
associate state - ignored

Let me know where to go from here; if you still want the
wpa_supplicant info I can post a bug for that, but the more major
problem seems that I have to explicitly tell iwconfig what my AP mac
address is, it wont associate otherwise even though "iwlist scan"
turns it up just fine, but I'm not having much luck producing useful
info here.

Thanks,
John

2008-03-27 14:41:19

by John Goulah

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:27 PM, John Goulah <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]

Mode:Master
Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
Channel:11
Quality=84/100 Signal level=-50 dBm Noise level=-127 dBm
Encryption key:on
IE: WPA Version 1
Group Cipher : CCMP
Pairwise Ciphers (1) : CCMP
Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
Group Cipher : CCMP
Pairwise Ciphers (1) : CCMP
Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
11 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
Extra:tsf=00000208dd78c752

One time, that even got me associated. But after removing the module
and trying again to be sure, I'm still showing "Invalid"

This seems a bit odd to me- Ideas are appreciated, I'm happy to debug

Thanks!

2008-03-31 22:02:29

by John Goulah

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 4:40 PM, Chatre, Reinette
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sunday, March 30, 2008 7:35 PM, John Goulah wrote:
>
> > Let me know where to go from here; if you still want the
> > wpa_supplicant info I can post a bug for that, but the more major
> > problem seems that I have to explicitly tell iwconfig what my AP mac
> > address is, it wont associate otherwise even though "iwlist scan"
> > turns it up just fine, but I'm not having much luck producing useful
> > info here.
>
> It is not clear how you are associating. Are you using wpa_supplicant or
> iwconfig? Please submit a bug with the details of your setup and steps
> to associate. Please include the wpa_supplicant logs and the driver
> logs.

I have to use both. I have to use iwconfig to pick my essid and
access point, and I use wpa_supplicant to setup the encryption tunnel.
Then I dhclient the IP address. In previous wireless experience,
once I've set the essid , it automatically associates to the access
point (at least I can see that the MAC address is defined when I run
iwconfig). That does not happen with this driver- only "Not
Associated" or "Invalid". Unfortunately debug for these cases isn't
spitting any info. I've been setting my access point mac address
specifically with "iwconfig wlan0 ap <MAC>" -before- running
wpa_supplicant since I thought I had to be associated before running
wpa_supplicant but it sounds like you are saying otherwise, so I'll
try that tonight and then submit my findings in a bug. If something
I've said sounds completely wrong let me know.

Thanks,
John

2008-03-27 16:27:51

by Reinette Chatre

On Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:41 AM, John Goulah wrote:

>> It appears I am still having some issues here with associating.
>> Could this be on the driver end of things? It doesn't happen with
>> another box (other drivers)
>>
>> I can disassociate:
>> $ sudo iwconfig wlan0 ap off
>> $ iwconfig
>>
>> wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"goulahnet"
>> Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point:
>> Not-Associated Tx-Power=14 dBm
>>
>> Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
>> Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
>> Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
>> Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
>>

>> What I was doing before is showing Invalid:
>>

>> $ sudo iwconfig wlan0 ap any (same for auto here) $ iwconfig
>>
>> wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"goulahnet"
>> Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Invalid
>> Tx-Power=14 dBm
>>
>> Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
>> Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
>> Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
>> Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
>>

>> It does seem a bit random, and I did have it working there for a
>> while, but it looked like if issue ctrl-C to wpa_supplicant it got
>> into this state, or a reboot.
>>
>> Anything I can try here?
>>

> Quick followup, one thing I've found is that I can scan as root and
> see my access point in the list:
>
> Cell 09 - Address: 00:15:E9:FA:E2:DB
> ESSID:"goulahnet"
> Mode:Master
> Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
> Channel:11 Quality=84/100 Signal level=-50 dBm
> Noise level=-127 dBm
> Encryption key:on
> IE: WPA Version 1
> Group Cipher : CCMP
> Pairwise Ciphers (1) : CCMP
> Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
> IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
> Group Cipher : CCMP
> Pairwise Ciphers (1) : CCMP
> Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
> Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
> 11 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24
> Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
> 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
> Extra:tsf=00000208dd78c752
>

> One time, that even got me associated. But after removing the module
> and trying again to be sure, I'm still showing "Invalid"
>
> This seems a bit odd to me- Ideas are appreciated, I'm happy to
> debug where appropriate -

The driver and wpa_supplicant is able to provide more debugging
information. Could you please capture debugging from both and submit a
bug to http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/bugzilla/?

wpa_supplicant debugging is obtained by running it with -ddt option
driver debugging is obtained by loading driver with debugging enabled
(modprobe iwl4965 debug=0x43fff)

If possible, please annotate logs to indicate what you did at the time.

Thanks!

Reinette

2008-03-26 22:15:15

by John Goulah

<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 26, 2008 11:49 AM, John Goulah wrote:
>

> > $ iwconfig
> > lo no wireless extensions.
> >
> > eth1 no wireless extensions.
> >
> > sit0 no wireless extensions.
> >
> > wmaster0 no wireless extensions.
> >
> > Warning: Driver for device wlan0 has been compiled with version 22
> > of Wireless Extension, while this program supports up to version 20.
> > Some things may be broken...
> >
> > wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"goulahnet"
> > Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point:
> > Not-Associated Tx-Power=0 dBm
> > Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
> > Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
> > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
> > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
> >

> > Is this warning a problem? Does this mean I need to get a newer
> > iwconfig (I'm on debian etch, Wireless-Tools version 28)
>
> I don't know if it is necessary. In the above iwconfig output it does
> not look as though you are associated though.

For some reason this helped with the association problem:

sudo iwconfig wlan0 ap any

> > Also, is this driver known to work with wpa_supplicant?
>
> yes

great, wpa_supplicant is also working fine now, I did get a few
warnings and I wasn't sure if this was ok to ignore, fixable, or would
need to go to their list with it:

sudo wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -D wext -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: No such file or directory
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: No such file or directory
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: No such file or directory
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: No such file or directory
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 4 value 0x0 - Trying to associate with
00:15:e9:fa:e2:db (SSID='goulahnet' freq=2462 MHz)
Associated with 00:15:e9:fa:e2:db
WPA: Key negotiation completed with 00:15:e9:fa:e2:db [PTK=CCMP GTK=CCMP]
CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to 00:15:e9:fa:e2:db completed
(auth) [id=0 id_str=]

In any case, my wirless card is now working!

Thanks so much,
John

2008-03-27 16:34:06

<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:41 AM, John Goulah wrote:
>
> >> It appears I am still having some issues here with associating.
> >> Could this be on the driver end of things? It doesn't happen with
> >> another box (other drivers)
> >>
> >> I can disassociate:
> >> $ sudo iwconfig wlan0 ap off
> >> $ iwconfig
> >>
> >> wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"goulahnet"
> >> Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point:
> >> Not-Associated Tx-Power=14 dBm
> >>
> >> Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
> >> Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
> >> Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
> >> Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
> >>

> >> What I was doing before is showing Invalid:
> >>

> >> $ sudo iwconfig wlan0 ap any (same for auto here) $ iwconfig
> >>
> >> wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"goulahnet"
> >> Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Invalid
> >> Tx-Power=14 dBm
> >>
> >> Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
> >> Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
> >> Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
> >> Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
> >>

> >> It does seem a bit random, and I did have it working there for a
> >> while, but it looked like if issue ctrl-C to wpa_supplicant it got
> >> into this state, or a reboot.
> >>
> >> Anything I can try here?
> >>

> > Quick followup, one thing I've found is that I can scan as root and
> > see my access point in the list:
> >
> > Cell 09 - Address: 00:15:E9:FA:E2:DB
> > ESSID:"goulahnet"
> > Mode:Master
> > Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
> > Channel:11 Quality=84/100 Signal level=-50 dBm
> > Noise level=-127 dBm
> > Encryption key:on
> > IE: WPA Version 1
> > Group Cipher : CCMP
> > Pairwise Ciphers (1) : CCMP
> > Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
> > IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
> > Group Cipher : CCMP
> > Pairwise Ciphers (1) : CCMP
> > Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
> > Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
> > 11 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24
> > Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
> > 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
> > Extra:tsf=00000208dd78c752
> >

> > One time, that even got me associated. But after removing the module
> > and trying again to be sure, I'm still showing "Invalid"
> >
> > This seems a bit odd to me- Ideas are appreciated, I'm happy to
> > debug where appropriate -
>
> The driver and wpa_supplicant is able to provide more debugging
> information. Could you please capture debugging from both and submit a
> bug to http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/bugzilla/?
>
> wpa_supplicant debugging is obtained by running it with -ddt option
> driver debugging is obtained by loading driver with debugging enabled
> (modprobe iwl4965 debug=0x43fff)
>
> If possible, please annotate logs to indicate what you did at the time.

Sure, I'd be glad to do this. I will note, if I explicitely define my
AP it works fine:
sudo iwconfig wlan0 ap 00:15:E9:FA:E2:DB

I'll get some more debug info tonight,

Thanks!
John

2008-03-27 03:27:37

by John Goulah

<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 26, 2008 11:49 AM, John Goulah wrote:
>

> > $ iwconfig
> > lo no wireless extensions.
> >
> > eth1 no wireless extensions.
> >
> > sit0 no wireless extensions.
> >
> > wmaster0 no wireless extensions.
> >
> > Warning: Driver for device wlan0 has been compiled with version 22
> > of Wireless Extension, while this program supports up to version 20.
> > Some things may be broken...
> >
> > wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"goulahnet"
> > Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point:
> > Not-Associated Tx-Power=0 dBm
> > Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
> > Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
> > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
> > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
> >

> > Is this warning a problem? Does this mean I need to get a newer
> > iwconfig (I'm on debian etch, Wireless-Tools version 28)
>
> I don't know if it is necessary. In the above iwconfig output it does
> not look as though you are associated though.

It appears I am still having some issues here with associating. Could
this be on the driver end of things? It doesn't happen with another
box (other drivers)

I can disassociate:
$ sudo iwconfig wlan0 ap off
$ iwconfig
wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"goulahnet"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=14 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

What I was doing before is showing Invalid:

$ sudo iwconfig wlan0 ap any (same for auto here)
$ iwconfig
wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"goulahnet"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Invalid
Tx-Power=14 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

It does seem a bit random, and I did have it working there for a
while, but it looked like if issue ctrl-C to wpa_supplicant it got
into this state, or a reboot.

Anything I can try here?

Thanks!
John

2008-03-26 21:05:24

by Reinette Chatre

On Wednesday, March 26, 2008 11:49 AM, John Goulah wrote:

> $ iwconfig
> lo no wireless extensions.
>
> eth1 no wireless extensions.
>
> sit0 no wireless extensions.
>
> wmaster0 no wireless extensions.
>
> Warning: Driver for device wlan0 has been compiled with version 22
> of Wireless Extension, while this program supports up to version 20.
> Some things may be broken...
>
> wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"goulahnet"
> Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point:
> Not-Associated Tx-Power=0 dBm
> Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
> Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
> Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
> Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
>

> Is this warning a problem? Does this mean I need to get a newer
> iwconfig (I'm on debian etch, Wireless-Tools version 28)

I don't know if it is necessary. In the above iwconfig output it does
not look as though you are associated though.

> Also, is this driver known to work with wpa_supplicant?

yes

Reinette

2008-03-31 20:42:14

by Reinette Chatre

On Sunday, March 30, 2008 7:35 PM, John Goulah wrote:

> Let me know where to go from here; if you still want the
> wpa_supplicant info I can post a bug for that, but the more major
> problem seems that I have to explicitly tell iwconfig what my AP mac
> address is, it wont associate otherwise even though "iwlist scan"
> turns it up just fine, but I'm not having much luck producing useful
> info here.

It is not clear how you are associating. Are you using wpa_supplicant or
iwconfig? Please submit a bug with the details of your setup and steps
to associate. Please include the wpa_supplicant logs and the driver
logs.

Thanks

Reinette

2008-03-31 23:22:33

by Reinette Chatre

On Monday, March 31, 2008 3:02 PM, John Goulah wrote:

> I have to use both. I have to use iwconfig to pick my essid and
> access point, and I use wpa_supplicant to setup the encryption tunnel.
> Then I dhclient the IP address. In previous wireless experience,
> once I've set the essid , it automatically associates to the access
> point (at least I can see that the MAC address is defined when I run
> iwconfig). That does not happen with this driver- only "Not
> Associated" or "Invalid". Unfortunately debug for these cases isn't
> spitting any info. I've been setting my access point mac address
> specifically with "iwconfig wlan0 ap <MAC>" -before- running
> wpa_supplicant since I thought I had to be associated before running
> wpa_supplicant but it sounds like you are saying otherwise, so I'll
> try that tonight and then submit my findings in a bug. If something
> I've said sounds completely wrong let me know.

It should not be necessary to use both iwconfig and wpa_supplicant.
wpa_supplicant will take care of the association for you.

You will need to bring the interface up (ifconfig wlan0 up) before you
run wpa_supplicant.

If you run into issues, please also send wpa_supplicant's configuration
and debug log.

Thanks

Reinette

2008-04-01 23:51:54

by Vincent C Jones

> It should not be necessary to use both iwconfig and wpa_supplicant.
> wpa_supplicant will take care of the association for you.
>
> You will need to bring the interface up (ifconfig wlan0 up) before you
> run wpa_supplicant.
>
> If you run into issues, please also send wpa_supplicant's configuration
> and debug log.
>
> Thanks
>
> Reinette

Agree, it should not be necessary to use both iwconfig &
wpa_supplicant, but somewhere between the last official release for
Intel 4965 and the latest the 3/27/2008 release, it has become
necessary, at least for some of us. SuSE 10.3, all kernels tried from
2.6.22 through 2.6.25-rc4. Some data points which might give you a clue:

I only have the problem with 802.11a channels. 2.4GHz associations seem
to work flawlessly (at least until someone uses the phone or microwave
oven :-).

The scan function in wpa_supplicant (using wpa_gui) returns channel
zero for 802.11A APs rather than the correct channel (I have one on 44
and one on 149). That is, when it reports seeing the APs at all.

Building from the "stable" 1.2.25 iwlwifi bits on Intel's site,
wpa_supplicant works correctly, both in reporting channels and
associating without help from iwconfig.

Incidentally, should the 802.11n work using 802.11n draft on 5Ghz?

Vince

2008-04-02 19:03:08

by Vincent C Jones

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 11:21 -0700, Chatre, Reinette wrote:
> On , Vincent C Jones wrote:
>
> > Agree, it should not be necessary to use both iwconfig &
> > wpa_supplicant, but somewhere between the last official release for
> > Intel 4965 and the latest the 3/27/2008 release, it has become
> > necessary, at least for some of us. SuSE 10.3, all kernels tried from
> > 2.6.22 through 2.6.25-rc4. Some data points which might give
> > you a clue:
>
> To check we are using the same code ... could you please use the latest
> iwlwifi driver by making use of the compat-wireless project
> (http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download)?
>

> > Incidentally, should the 802.11n work using 802.11n draft on 5Ghz?
>
> yes
>
> Reinette

Downloaded, compiled and tested with today's version
(compat-wireless-2008-04-02) compat-release "2.8-50-g7b9853d".

Same results as before:

iwl4965: Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN driver for Linux, 1.2.26k
iwl4965: Copyright(c) 2003-2008 Intel Corporation
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:03:00.0[A] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:03:00.0 to 64
iwl4965: Detected Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
iwl4965: Tunable channels: 11 802.11bg, 13 802.11a channels
phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'iwl-4965-rs'
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:03:00.0[A] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
wlan0: Initial auth_alg=0
wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:1a:c1:8a:23:40
wlan0: Initial auth_alg=0
wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:1a:c1:8a:23:40
wlan0: RX authentication from 00:1a:c1:8a:23:40 (alg=0 transaction=2
status=0)
wlan0: authenticated
wlan0: associate with AP 00:1a:c1:8a:23:40
wlan0: authentication frame received from 00:1a:c1:8a:23:40, but not in
authenticate state - ignored
wlan0: RX deauthentication from 00:1a:c1:8a:23:40 (reason=6)
wlan0: deauthenticated

execute - iwconfig wlan0 chan 149

wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:1a:c1:8a:23:40
wlan0: RX authentication from 00:1a:c1:8a:23:40 (alg=0 transaction=2
status=0)
wlan0: authenticated
wlan0: associate with AP 00:1a:c1:8a:23:40
wlan0: RX AssocResp from 00:1a:c1:8a:23:40 (capab=0x11 status=0 aid=1)
wlan0: associated

Note that upon further testing, I don't need to specify the AP address,
only the channel to use, and only if the channel is in the 5Ghz band.

Other info:
uname -a
Linux X61 2.6.22.17-0.1-test #2 SMP Tue Apr 1 11:33:27 EDT 2008 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Lenovo 7675CTO X61 ThinkPad T7500 (2.2MHz Core-2 Duo), SuSE 10.3 X86_64

Any other info that would help (or tests to run), just let me know.

Vince

2008-04-02 18:21:32

by Reinette Chatre