2008-08-01 23:46:00

by Pavel Roskin

Subject: Resignation from orinoco and at76_usb

Hello!

I would like to resign as maintainer of orinoco and at76_usb drivers. I
was genuinely interested in getting most of the hardware supported by
those drivers, but as it stands now, I simple cannot find time for
either of them. I believe it is harmful for both projects to have an
unresponsive maintainer who does not have time to review patches and
answer questions about the project. Perhaps it's better not to have any
maintainer, so that an interested person could step in.

Please let me know what steps I should take. I believe it should be a
patch removing my name from the MAINTAINERS file. Anything else?

Pavel Roskin

2008-08-04 12:13:37

by Kalle Valo

Subject: Re: Resignation from orinoco and at76_usb

Pavel Roskin <[email protected]> writes:

> On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 11:41 +0300, Kalle Valo wrote:
>> Pavel Roskin <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>> > I would like to resign as maintainer of orinoco and at76_usb drivers. I
>> > was genuinely interested in getting most of the hardware supported by
>> > those drivers, but as it stands now, I simple cannot find time for
>> > either of them. I believe it is harmful for both projects to have an
>> > unresponsive maintainer who does not have time to review patches and
>> > answer questions about the project. Perhaps it's better not to have any
>> > maintainer, so that an interested person could step in.
>>
>> I would be very interested to maintain at76_usb. I broke it, so I
>> should (and will) fix it as well. But due to real life issues, I can
>> start actively working on it only at the end of September. I hope
>> that's not a problem.
>
> That's great. Thank you!

No, thank you for maintaining at76_usb and cleaning it up to be ready
for inclusion.

> I think the best approach would be that once you have some patches
> ready, you would add a patch that replaces my name with yours in the
> MAINTAINERS file.

Sounds good to me. Most probably I can do this only late September or
so, I hope that's ok?

--
Kalle Valo

2008-08-04 11:49:36

by Pavel Roskin

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 11:41 +0300, Kalle Valo wrote:
> Pavel Roskin <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > I would like to resign as maintainer of orinoco and at76_usb drivers. I
> > was genuinely interested in getting most of the hardware supported by
> > those drivers, but as it stands now, I simple cannot find time for
> > either of them. I believe it is harmful for both projects to have an
> > unresponsive maintainer who does not have time to review patches and
> > answer questions about the project. Perhaps it's better not to have any
> > maintainer, so that an interested person could step in.
>
> I would be very interested to maintain at76_usb. I broke it, so I
> should (and will) fix it as well. But due to real life issues, I can
> start actively working on it only at the end of September. I hope
> that's not a problem.

That's great. Thank you! I think the best approach would be that once
you have some patches ready, you would add a patch that replaces my name
with yours in the MAINTAINERS file.

Pavel Roskin

2008-08-02 09:52:39

by Dave Kilroy

Pavel Roskin wrote:
> Quoting Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]>:
>
>> do you have any pending patches that are not in wireless-testing? I at
>> least remember that I have seen some Orinoco WPA stuff going on. It
>> would be good to get at least these things sorted out before you resign
>> from both drivers.
>
> I asked the authors of those patches to post everything here.

Since there hasn't been any testing feedback, I'll be reposting the Orinoco WPA patches with a few modifications to ensure they don't negatively impact the cards that I'm unable to test.

Regards,

Dave.

2008-08-02 02:11:32

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Pavel,

> I would like to resign as maintainer of orinoco and at76_usb
> drivers. I
> was genuinely interested in getting most of the hardware supported by
> those drivers, but as it stands now, I simple cannot find time for
> either of them. I believe it is harmful for both projects to have an
> unresponsive maintainer who does not have time to review patches and
> answer questions about the project. Perhaps it's better not to have
> any
> maintainer, so that an interested person could step in.
>
> Please let me know what steps I should take. I believe it should be a
> patch removing my name from the MAINTAINERS file. Anything else?

do you have any pending patches that are not in wireless-testing? I at
least remember that I have seen some Orinoco WPA stuff going on. It
would be good to get at least these things sorted out before you
resign from both drivers.

Regards

Marcel

2008-08-13 11:54:25

by Milan Plžík

Sorry for replying to more than week dead thread, I just overlooked
it... .

On Po, 2008-08-04 at 11:41 +0300, Kalle Valo wrote:
> Pavel Roskin <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > I would like to resign as maintainer of orinoco and at76_usb drivers. I
> > was genuinely interested in getting most of the hardware supported by
> > those drivers, but as it stands now, I simple cannot find time for
> > either of them. I believe it is harmful for both projects to have an
> > unresponsive maintainer who does not have time to review patches and
> > answer questions about the project. Perhaps it's better not to have any
> > maintainer, so that an interested person could step in.
>
> I would be very interested to maintain at76_usb. I broke it, so I
> should (and will) fix it as well. But due to real life issues, I can
> start actively working on it only at the end of September. I hope
> that's not a problem.

I can help here and there at least with testing, as I have access to
some devices equipped with at76-based hardware, although I won't have
time to be maintainer.

Milan

P.S.: Good luck, Kalle :)

2008-08-04 12:20:10

by Pavel Roskin

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 15:03 +0300, Kalle Valo wrote:

> Sounds good to me. Most probably I can do this only late September or
> so, I hope that's ok?

Yes, that's fine.

Pavel Roskin

2008-08-14 07:20:17

by Kalle Valo

Milan Plzik <[email protected]> writes:

> I can help here and there at least with testing, as I have access to
> some devices equipped with at76-based hardware, although I won't have
> time to be maintainer.

Excellent, all help is appreciated.

> P.S.: Good luck, Kalle :)

Thanks :)

--
Kalle Valo

2008-08-02 05:03:18

by Pavel Roskin

Quoting Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]>:

> do you have any pending patches that are not in wireless-testing? I at
> least remember that I have seen some Orinoco WPA stuff going on. It
> would be good to get at least these things sorted out before you resign
> from both drivers.

I asked the authors of those patches to post everything here. I see
that some at76_usb stuff got applied recently, but the driver appears
to be very unstable.

Pavel Roskin

2008-08-04 08:41:38