2009-02-06 15:46:26

by Milan Plžík

Subject: AP mode support requirements for iwlagn driver

Hello,

what are the exact requirements for AP mode support in iwlagn driver?
Is there any change neccessary in card's firmware, or the only missing
code is in mac80211/iwlagn itself? Also, there was sort-of support for
AP, but it was disabled in later versions -- what were the exact
problems with this implementation?

Best regards,
Milan Plzik

2009-02-10 15:37:53

by Milan Plžík

V Piatok, 6. febru=C3=A1r 2009 o 21:47 +0100, Johannes Berg nap=C3=ADsa=
l(a):
> On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 16:16 +0100, Milan Plzik wrote:
> > Hello,
> >=20
> > what are the exact requirements for AP mode support in iwlagn dri=
ver?
> > Is there any change neccessary in card's firmware, or the only miss=
ing
> > code is in mac80211/iwlagn itself? Also, there was sort-of support =
for
> > AP, but it was disabled in later versions -- what were the exact
> > problems with this implementation?
>=20
> One major issue was getting multicast frames out at the right time, b=
ut
> also look at
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Documentation/mac80211/API

Ok, so from what I understand to get AP mode fully working, firmware
has to adjust TSF -- this seems to be what TX_CMD_FLG_TSF_MSK does;
everything other should be manageable by software.=20

Btw, the URL unfortunately doesn't mention anything about multicast
frames; if there something describing this more in detail?

>=20
> johannes

Milan

2009-02-06 20:47:23

by Johannes Berg

On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 16:16 +0100, Milan Plzik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> what are the exact requirements for AP mode support in iwlagn driver?
> Is there any change neccessary in card's firmware, or the only missing
> code is in mac80211/iwlagn itself? Also, there was sort-of support for
> AP, but it was disabled in later versions -- what were the exact
> problems with this implementation?

One major issue was getting multicast frames out at the right time, but
also look at
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Documentation/mac80211/API

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (836.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2009-02-10 15:41:12

by Johannes Berg

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 23:15 +0100, Milan Plzik wrote:

> Btw, the URL unfortunately doesn't mention anything about multicast
> frames; if there something describing this more in detail?

802.11-2007?