2009-04-07 23:08:22

by Reinette Chatre

Subject: Re: iwlagn preventing hibernation with TuxOnIce

Hi Mathias,

(please cc mailing list on your response)

On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 14:09 -0700, Mathias Bur=C3=A9n wrote:
> [...]
> matter if iwlagn is loaded or not. This is only during hibernation,
> resume works fine (although I have to hibernate with wlan0 down first
> of course in order to resume from anything).
>=20
> I tried to hibernate from gnome just now, and it seemingly stops at
> the same step as before (writing kernel and process data). I can see
> the SSD work (probably writes the image) for a while, then all goes
> silent. However, TuxOnIce responds to the keyboard because if I press
> escape it changes the text to "aborting hibernation", but nothing
> happens, just sits there with the text.
>=20
> This time I didn't get a panic (that I could see), but the computer
> shut itself off after about a minute (normal hibernation takes about =
4
> seconds), and just before the poweroff I saw this: received netlink
> error: invalid argument. I have no idea if it's related.
> =20
>=20
> =20
> > when it's 'writing kernel and process information', after
> > a while I get a backtrace (?) about something with sda (my
> SSD). I was
> > first using iwlagn from 2.6.29 but I just installed
> > compat-wireless-2009-04-06 and it made no difference.
> >
> > Hardware being used:
> > Dell Inspiron 1520
> >
> > iwlagn: Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link AGN driver for Linux,
> 1.3.27ks
> > iwlagn: Copyright(c) 2003-2009 Intel Corporation
> > iwlagn 0000:0c:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IR=
> 17
> > iwlagn 0000:0c:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
> > iwlagn 0000:0c:00.0: Detected Intel Wireless WiFi Link
> 4965AGN REV=3D0x4
> > iwlagn 0000:0c:00.0: Tunable channels: 13 802.11bg, 19
> 802.11a channels
> > iwlagn 0000:0c:00.0: irq 29 for MSI/MSI-X
> > phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'iwl-agn-rs'
> > iwlagn 0000:0c:00.0: firmware: requesting
> iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode
> > iwlagn 0000:0c:00.0: loaded firmware version 228.57.2.23
> > Registered led device: iwl-phy0::radio
> > Registered led device: iwl-phy0::assoc
> > Registered led device: iwl-phy0::RX
> > Registered led device: iwl-phy0::TX
> >
> > Vanilla 2.6.29.1 kernel with TuxOnIce patch, fs for / is
> ext4, using
> > the deadline scheduler. Kernel configuration at [1]. dmesg
> at [2].
> =20
> =20
> The dmesg does not contain any panic or errors related to
> iwlagn that I
> can see.
> =20
>=20
> I thought about that, how can I provide a logfile for a system crash?
> Nothing gets written in any logs what I can see. I don't have another
> machine to debug with unfortunately. (was thinking logging to serial

You can try serial console (if you have one) or netconsole. You can als=
try to get syslog to log things for you with a request that it syncs
after every write (you surely do not want this enabled always).
Something like this in your syslog.conf:
kern.* /var/log/kern.log

Reinette