2010-10-10 10:19:38

by Francesco Gringoli

Subject: Release of Maranello firmware source code for Broadcom cards

Hello there,

we released the source code of the Maranello firmware and all the
necessary kernel patches. It was tested on Broadcom 4318/4306 pci
cards on PC architecture. Find all the necessary files browsing from

http://www.ing.unibs.it/openfwwf

or go directly here

http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/maranello

Maranello is an enhancement of the 802.11 DCF standard: it implements
a Partial Packet Recovery technique to retransmit only the corrupt
parts of failed packets. This reduces the airtime and contributes to
enhance the throughput. It was written starting from OpenFWWF5.2 by
adding a number of new features.

Kind regards,
-Francesco Gringoli

Informativa sulla privacy: http://help.ing.unibs.it/privacy.php

2010-10-10 17:35:35

by Rafał Miłecki

W dniu 10 października 2010 18:53 użytkownik
<[email protected]> napisał:
> On Oct 10, 2010, at 4:47 PM, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
>
>> 2010/10/10  <[email protected]>:
>>> Hello there,
>>>
>>> we released the source code of the Maranello firmware and all the
>>> necessary kernel patches. It was tested on Broadcom 4318/4306 pci
>>> cards on PC architecture. Find all the necessary files browsing from
>>>
>>> http://www.ing.unibs.it/openfwwf
>>>
>>> or go directly here
>>>
>>> http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/maranello
>>>

>>> Maranello is an enhancement of the 802.11 DCF standard: it implements
>>> a Partial Packet Recovery technique to retransmit only the corrupt
>>> parts of failed packets. This reduces the airtime and contributes to
>>> enhance the throughput. It was written starting from OpenFWWF5.2 by
>>> adding a number of new features.
>>>
>> Did you just add recovery feature to OpenFWWF 5.2 or did you improve
>> basic OpenFWWF as well?
>>
>> My 4318 with OpenFWWF 5.2 stops transmitting after few MB. Can
>> Maranello contain any fix for this? I'll able to test this later next
>> week.
>
> No, I don't think so. OpenFWWF5.2 does not handle correctly fifo overflow conditions. We have a testing firmware that handles them (and that works perfectly on WRT54GL): I hope we can release it soon.

Wow, that's great! If you need more testing, I'm willing to do some.
If you need full root access to machine with 4318 running
wireless-testing, just mail me privately.

Really hope you will manage to release that soon :)

--
Rafał

2010-10-10 12:35:01

by Michael Büsch

On Sun, 2010-10-10 at 12:19 +0200, [email protected]
wrote:
> Maranello is an enhancement of the 802.11 DCF standard: it implements
> a Partial Packet Recovery technique to retransmit only the corrupt
> parts of failed packets. This reduces the airtime and contributes to
> enhance the throughput. It was written starting from OpenFWWF5.2 by
> adding a number of new features.

Hey, that looks really cool. :)
So does this firmware work in AP and STA mode? I guess so, because it
seems you need support for the nonstandard enhancement on both STA
and AP.

--
Greetings Michael.

2010-10-10 14:47:49

by Rafał Miłecki

2010/10/10 <[email protected]>:
> Hello there,
>
> we released the source code of the Maranello firmware and all the
> necessary kernel patches. It was tested on Broadcom 4318/4306 pci
> cards on PC architecture. Find all the necessary files browsing from
>
> http://www.ing.unibs.it/openfwwf
>
> or go directly here
>
> http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/maranello
>

> Maranello is an enhancement of the 802.11 DCF standard: it implements
> a Partial Packet Recovery technique to retransmit only the corrupt
> parts of failed packets. This reduces the airtime and contributes to
> enhance the throughput. It was written starting from OpenFWWF5.2 by
> adding a number of new features.

Hey, thanks for info!

Did you just add recovery feature to OpenFWWF 5.2 or did you improve
basic OpenFWWF as well?

My 4318 with OpenFWWF 5.2 stops transmitting after few MB. Can
Maranello contain any fix for this? I'll able to test this later next
week.

--
Rafał

2010-10-10 17:11:17

by Michael Büsch

On Sun, 2010-10-10 at 18:49 +0200, [email protected]
wrote:

> yes, the firmware works in AP mode, it is the basic AP mode implemented
> by OpenFWWF. And yes, both AP and STA implement partial packet recovery.
> We tested both directions and in our testbed (and most importantly with
> the hardware we have... unfortunately not all 4318/06 are equal :-( )
> it was stable and we never experienced crashes.

So it is possible to disable the Maranello feature in that firmware
(via SHM parameter or possibly also compiletime switch) to run it in
standard mode?
I think that would get the firmware base a lot more testing coverage.

--
Greetings Michael.

2010-10-10 16:53:20

by Francesco Gringoli

On Oct 10, 2010, at 4:47 PM, Rafał Miłecki wrote:

> 2010/10/10 <[email protected]>:
>> Hello there,
>>
>> we released the source code of the Maranello firmware and all the
>> necessary kernel patches. It was tested on Broadcom 4318/4306 pci
>> cards on PC architecture. Find all the necessary files browsing from
>>
>> http://www.ing.unibs.it/openfwwf
>>
>> or go directly here
>>
>> http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/maranello
>>

>> Maranello is an enhancement of the 802.11 DCF standard: it implements
>> a Partial Packet Recovery technique to retransmit only the corrupt
>> parts of failed packets. This reduces the airtime and contributes to
>> enhance the throughput. It was written starting from OpenFWWF5.2 by
>> adding a number of new features.
>
> Hey, thanks for info!
>
> Did you just add recovery feature to OpenFWWF 5.2 or did you improve
> basic OpenFWWF as well?
>
> My 4318 with OpenFWWF 5.2 stops transmitting after few MB. Can
> Maranello contain any fix for this? I'll able to test this later next
> week.
No, I don't think so. OpenFWWF5.2 does not handle correctly fifo overflow conditions. We have a testing firmware that handles them (and that works perfectly on WRT54GL): I hope we can release it soon.

Kind regards,
-Francesco Gringoli

Informativa sulla privacy: http://help.ing.unibs.it/privacy.php

2010-10-10 16:49:25

by Francesco Gringoli

On Oct 10, 2010, at 2:34 PM, Michael B?sch wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-10-10 at 12:19 +0200, [email protected]
> wrote:
>> Maranello is an enhancement of the 802.11 DCF standard: it implements
>> a Partial Packet Recovery technique to retransmit only the corrupt
>> parts of failed packets. This reduces the airtime and contributes to
>> enhance the throughput. It was written starting from OpenFWWF5.2 by
>> adding a number of new features.
>
> Hey, that looks really cool. :)
> So does this firmware work in AP and STA mode? I guess so, because it
> seems you need support for the nonstandard enhancement on both STA
> and AP.
Hello Michael,

yes, the firmware works in AP mode, it is the basic AP mode implemented by OpenFWWF. And yes, both AP and STA implement partial packet recovery. We tested both directions and in our testbed (and most importantly with the hardware we have... unfortunately not all 4318/06 are equal :-( ) it was stable and we never experienced crashes.

The most interesting point are the capabilities of this really simple boards: we were really surprised of how many things they can do (and I believe guys at Broadcom never imagined).

Kind regards,
-Francesco Gringoli

> --
> Greetings Michael.

Informativa sulla privacy: http://help.ing.unibs.it/privacy.php

2010-12-13 20:29:06

by Bo Han

Hi Thomas,

As Francesco said in the previous email, the source code of Maranello,
including both firmware and kernel patches, is now available at

http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/maranello/

Feel free to give it a try and let us know if you have any problems.

Thanks,
-Bo

On Mon, December 13, 2010 2:44 pm, h2o-post wrote:
> Hi Francesco,
>
> We are running a mesh network with 45 nodes all by Linksys wrt54g routers
> in our village to get somehow internet connectivity.
> As I saw your maranello paper I am curious to test your Broadcom firmware
> in our productive net.
> Is the firmware already available that supports this kind of crc frame
> checking ?
>
> Regards Thomas

by h2o-post