2011-11-07 15:15:30

by Cedric VONCKEN

Subject: ifconfig down and mac80211 issue

Hi,

I am currently trying to use rstp protocol (using rstpd ) over
wireless interfaces (ath9k) and I've noticed some strange hostapd
behaviour.

Everything seems to work great with wired Ethernet devices.

this is what I do :
- I have configured an AP (with hostapd), and it works perfectly
(beacons were sent)
- ifconfig wlanx down
- ifconfig wlanx up

after the ifconfig up, the wlanx does not send any beacons although
clients are perfectly able to associate with (WPA-SUPPLICANT does an
active scan).

Have you ever encounter such issue ?

Thanks in advance,

--
VONCKEN Cédric
ACKSYS R&D dept

2011-11-07 15:40:54

by Johannes Berg

Subject: Re: ifconfig down and mac80211 issue

On Mon, 2011-11-07 at 15:54 +0100, voncken wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently trying to use rstp protocol (using rstpd ) over
> wireless interfaces (ath9k) and I've noticed some strange hostapd
> behaviour.
>
> Everything seems to work great with wired Ethernet devices.
>
> this is what I do :
> - I have configured an AP (with hostapd), and it works perfectly
> (beacons were sent)
> - ifconfig wlanx down
> - ifconfig wlanx up
>
> after the ifconfig up, the wlanx does not send any beacons although
> clients are perfectly able to associate with (WPA-SUPPLICANT does an
> active scan).

You can't do that. If you set down everything is unconfigured. If you
need to take it down/up then you need to do that before you start
hostapd.

johannes