2012-01-29 20:46:55

by Hin-Tak Leung

Subject: rtl8187 behavior change/breakage with 3.2.1-3.fc16.x86_64<->3.2.2-1.fc16.x86_64

This may be a fedora-specific problem - I noticed that just after booting into the new fedora kernel (3.2.2-1.fc16.x86_64), I am getting a strange message from the kernel:

rtl8187: Invalid hwaddr! Using randomly generated MAC address

And it is setting my rtl8187 to an alien mac address instead of the usual one I have. The previous (3.2.1-3.fc16.x86_64) works correctly, and as far as I go back through my /var/log/message, had never had this problem ever.

The relevant changelog in the fedora package is this, so this might be a compat-wireless 3.3-rc1-2 problem? I checked rhbz 784345 which looked unrelated, although it is realtek (another driver).

--------------

* Wed Jan 25 2012 Josh Boyer <[email protected]> - 3.2.2-1
- Linux 3.2.2
- Add patch to invalidate parent cache when fsync is called on a partition
(rhbz 783211)
- Test fix for realtek_async_autopm oops from Stanislaw Gruszka (rhbz 784345)

* Wed Jan 25 2012 John W. Linville <[email protected]>
- modpost: add option to allow external modules to avoid taint
- Make integrated compat-wireless take advantage of the above

* Wed Jan 25 2012 Josh Boyer <[email protected]>
- Backport patch to fix oops in rds (rhbz 718790)

* Tue Jan 24 2012 John W. Linville <[email protected]>
- Update compat-wireless snapshot to version 3.3-rc1-2

* Tue Jan 24 2012 Josh Boyer <[email protected]>
- Re-enable the ARCMSR module (rhbz 784287)
- Add back a set of patches that were erroneously dropped during the rebase
- Re-enable the LIRC_STAGING drivers (rhbz 784398)
--------------------------------

2012-01-30 18:46:25

by John W. Linville

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 11:51:32AM +0000, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> --- On Sun, 29/1/12, Larry Finger <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > This may be a fedora-specific problem - I noticed that
> > just after booting into the new fedora kernel
> > (3.2.2-1.fc16.x86_64), I am getting a strange message from
> > the kernel:
> > >
> > > rtl8187: Invalid hwaddr! Using randomly generated MAC
> > address
>

> > I just checked, and rtl8187 works fine with my RTL8187L
> > using 3.3-rc1 from
> > wireless-testing. I don't know where the problem occurs.
>
> Thanks for looking. It is mostly likely a fedora-specific problem then. Unless John has any idea, I'll eventually unpacking the fedora kernel source if the problem persists for another kernel.
>
> Cheers,
> Hin-Tak
>
> P.S. Herton's e-mail seems to have changed.

When I integrated compat-wireless into the Fedora kernels, I
left it using the in-kernel eeprom_93cx6 driver. Apparently some
incompatiblity has krept-in, and several wireless drives stopped
working. I have changed the fedora kernels to use the version of
eeprom_93cx6 now, so the next build should work alright.

Sorry!

John
--
John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you
[email protected] might be all we have. Be ready.

2012-01-29 21:41:38

by Larry Finger

On 01/29/2012 02:40 PM, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> This may be a fedora-specific problem - I noticed that just after booting into the new fedora kernel (3.2.2-1.fc16.x86_64), I am getting a strange message from the kernel:
>
> rtl8187: Invalid hwaddr! Using randomly generated MAC address
>
> And it is setting my rtl8187 to an alien mac address instead of the usual one I have. The previous (3.2.1-3.fc16.x86_64) works correctly, and as far as I go back through my /var/log/message, had never had this problem ever.
>
> The relevant changelog in the fedora package is this, so this might be a compat-wireless 3.3-rc1-2 problem? I checked rhbz 784345 which looked unrelated, although it is realtek (another driver).
>
> --------------
>
> * Wed Jan 25 2012 Josh Boyer<[email protected]> - 3.2.2-1
> - Linux 3.2.2
> - Add patch to invalidate parent cache when fsync is called on a partition
> (rhbz 783211)
> - Test fix for realtek_async_autopm oops from Stanislaw Gruszka (rhbz 784345)

The wireless device in 784345 uses iwlwifi. The Realtek device is a wired interface.

> * Wed Jan 25 2012 John W. Linville<[email protected]>
> - modpost: add option to allow external modules to avoid taint
> - Make integrated compat-wireless take advantage of the above
>
> * Wed Jan 25 2012 Josh Boyer<[email protected]>
> - Backport patch to fix oops in rds (rhbz 718790)
>
> * Tue Jan 24 2012 John W. Linville<[email protected]>
> - Update compat-wireless snapshot to version 3.3-rc1-2
>
> * Tue Jan 24 2012 Josh Boyer<[email protected]>
> - Re-enable the ARCMSR module (rhbz 784287)
> - Add back a set of patches that were erroneously dropped during the rebase
> - Re-enable the LIRC_STAGING drivers (rhbz 784398)
> --------------------------------

I just checked, and rtl8187 works fine with my RTL8187L using 3.3-rc1 from
wireless-testing. I don't know where the problem occurs.

Larry

2012-01-30 23:40:05

by Larry Finger

On 01/30/2012 12:39 PM, John W. Linville wrote:

>>> just after booting into the new fedora kernel
>>> (3.2.2-1.fc16.x86_64), I am getting a strange message from
>>> the kernel:

>>> address
>>

>>> I just checked, and rtl8187 works fine with my RTL8187L
>>> using 3.3-rc1 from
>>> wireless-testing. I don't know where the problem occurs.
>>
>> Thanks for looking. It is mostly likely a fedora-specific problem then. Unless John has any idea, I'll eventually unpacking the fedora kernel source if the problem persists for another kernel.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Hin-Tak
>>
>> P.S. Herton's e-mail seems to have changed.
>
> When I integrated compat-wireless into the Fedora kernels, I
> left it using the in-kernel eeprom_93cx6 driver. Apparently some
> incompatiblity has krept-in, and several wireless drives stopped
> working. I have changed the fedora kernels to use the version of
> eeprom_93cx6 now, so the next build should work alright.

John,

Thanks for chasing down this problem.

Larry

2012-01-31 10:45:12

by Hin-Tak Leung

--- On Mon, 30/1/12, John W. Linville <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 11:51:32AM
> +0000, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> > --- On Sun, 29/1/12, Larry Finger <[email protected]>

> noticed that
> > > just after booting into the new fedora kernel
> > > (3.2.2-1.fc16.x86_64), I am getting a strange
> message from
> > > the kernel:

> generated MAC
> > > address
> >

> > > I just checked, and rtl8187 works fine with my
> RTL8187L
> > > using 3.3-rc1 from
> > > wireless-testing. I don't know where the problem
> occurs.
> >
> > Thanks for looking. It is mostly likely a
> fedora-specific problem then. Unless John has any idea, I'll
> eventually unpacking the fedora kernel source if the problem
> persists for another kernel.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Hin-Tak
> >
> > P.S. Herton's e-mail seems to have changed.
>
> When I integrated compat-wireless into the Fedora kernels,
> left it using the in-kernel eeprom_93cx6 driver.?
> Apparently some
> incompatiblity has krept-in, and several wireless drives
> stopped
> working.? I have changed the fedora kernels to use the
> version of
> eeprom_93cx6 now, so the next build should work alright.

Thanks for checking! I'll await the next fedora update. No prob - these things happen from time to time: living life on the bleeding-edge!

Hin-Tak

2012-01-30 11:51:36

by Hin-Tak Leung