2012-06-19 14:58:41

by Hin-Tak Leung

Subject: rtl8187 on compat-wireless Re: regression?

Two things: (1) you must cc one of the relevant mailing lists, or this is treated as private consultancy and you get charged correspondingly, (2) use a better/specific subject on e-mails than a non-describe one like "regression". I (and others) get a lot of e-mails, some from "for reference" mailing list subscriptions which just get filed and not read for months or years.

These are done for you this once. - I don't know this "PaulFertser" is, but you better explain those rules to him, for future reference.

The 3rd thing is, as a rule, kernel-related e-mails should be always plain text, no html, no styling and no what not (Linus' rule, not mine). And the final and most important one: why is your kernel "Tainted"? In general, we don't look at bug reports for 'Tainted' kernels.

The 6th thing is, why are you using a compat-wireless which is over a month old? compat-wireless is what it is, bleeding edge snpashot code, you may need to try a different snapshot.
[ 6.481568] Compat-wireless backport release: compat-wireless-2012-05-04
[ 6.481570] Backport based on linux-next.git next-20120510

--- On Tue, 19/6/12, Shane Klinedinst <[email protected]> wrote:

From: Shane Klinedinst <[email protected]>
Subject: regression?
To: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Date: Tuesday, 19 June, 2012, 12:12

Hello, I cannot get my wireless interface to work with compat-wireless nomatter what I do here is my dmesg file any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated http://pastebin.com/yq8FZd5y PaulFertser said it looks like a regression and I should mail the driver maintainer. I am not good at this type of thing but if you need any more information just tell me what to do. Thanks.

Best wishes,Shane Klinedinst

2012-06-19 22:01:13

by Hin-Tak Leung

Subject: Re: rtl8187 on compat-wireless Re: regression?

--- On Tue, 19/6/12, Hin-Tak Leung <[email protected]> wrote:

<snipped>
> The 6th thing is, why are you using a compat-wireless which
> is over a month old? compat-wireless is what it is, bleeding
> edge snpashot code, you may need to try a different
> snapshot.
> [? ? 6.481568] Compat-wireless backport release:
> compat-wireless-2012-05-04
> [? ? 6.481570] Backport based on linux-next.git
> next-20120510

Just to confirm that it working perfectly well here (my dmesg) - not sure why next-05-10 was the most recent one, Luis might like to comment.

[125591.037794] Compat-wireless backport release: compat-wireless-2012-05-04
[125591.037807] Backport based on linux-next.git next-20120510

against 3.4.2-4.fc17.x86_64 . I see the original poster had 3.2.x, and a tainted kernel, no less; so that's an "anything goes" scenario.

Not entirely sure why there was a duplicate symbol (supposedly for 3.5 compatibility):
[125123.258683] compat: exports duplicate symbol simple_open (owned by kernel)

I just commented out that part of compat/compat-3.5.c which export that symbol. I suspect fedora kernels are just a little closer to 3.5 than compat-wireless expects, but I am not too bothered about it. John and Luis might like to comment on this; also about the -p and -pc tar balls.

Anyway, the exact same compat-wireless version works here.