2013-11-30 12:45:31

by Nikita N.

Subject: 3.13 various backports bugs

Hi dear maintainers of backports :) I have few bugs to report, Ill try
to be as fast as I can.

- Bug #1:
Im running on standard Slitaz4, kernel 2.6.37-slitaz, updating modules,
the following script:
./backports-3.13-rc1-1/scripts/compress_modules.sh
the "if" is not able to detect the present compression, as result the
new modules are not compressed, and get mixed with the old ones
compressed, resulting in lots of errors.
My actual workaround is just to delete the "if" line.
The issue is present systematically in all backports releases, since the
switch from compat-drivers.
The compress_modules script into 3.9 is instead working good.

- Bug #2:
eeprom modules are missing into 3.13.
This issue is present systematically in all backports releases, since
the switch from compat-drivers.
It could be a wireless bug only, or a backports bug only, or both.
Anyway, eeprom module is vital for correct interface detection.
Into 3.9 the eeprom modules are located in
./compat-drivers-3.9-rc4-2-su/drivers/misc/eeprom/

- Bug #3:
New dependance has been added, CRYPTO_CCM, which denies all modules
compilation based on MAC80211.
The dependance is set in ./backports-3.13-rc1-1/net/mac80211/Kconfig
On Slitaz4, such kernel config is not set, hence its needed to edit
manually the kernel .config in order to enable it.
After enabling, modules compilation goes all right.
Hence, or CRYPTO_CCM is useless, or its needed to show a warning to the
user at Kconfig runtime, in order to take the necessary measures.
It took forever (even for me!) to find that bug, which btw was denying
the compilation of my Realtek modules.

- Bug #4:
Repeated back-slashes "//" are present into script-makefile files, you
can see them appear for example running "make alldefconfig & make
install":
[...]
COMPRESS /lib/modules/2.6.37-slitaz//updates/compat/compat.ko
gzip: can't open
'/lib/modules/2.6.37-slitaz//updates/compat/compat.ko.gz': File exists
[...]

- Bug #5:
Cosmetic bug, in file ./backports-3.13-rc1-1/Makefile, the following
line is duplicated:
@echo " allyesconfig - New config where all options are accepted
with yes"

Hope all is clear, now I have to leave you because my baby sh*t the
diapers so much all is getting out and my wife is shouting at me!
aaargh! :D
Thanks for your attention :)

by Nikita N.

Subject: Re: 3.13 various backports bugs

follow answers
On Sat, Nov 30, 2013, at 05:00 AM, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
> > - Bug #2:
> > eeprom modules are missing into 3.13.
> > This issue is present systematically in all backports releases, since
> > the switch from compat-drivers.
> > It could be a wireless bug only, or a backports bug only, or both.
> > Anyway, eeprom module is vital for correct interface detection.
> > Into 3.9 the eeprom modules are located in
> > ./compat-drivers-3.9-rc4-2-su/drivers/misc/eeprom/
>
> This should be included in your kernel you are compiling against
> otherwise you wouldn't be able to build rtl8187.
>
> There was a bug in backports regarding EEPROM_93CX6, could you please
> try backports-20131122-2 and report back if the problem is still there.

just did it, same issue.
also in backports-20131122-2 eeprom modules are missing.
At this point I have the suspect that eeprom libraries builtin Slitaz4
are bugged, and the bug is capable of persistent damage.. probably the
bad frames filter in monitor mode im suffering on my two rtl8187, is
caused by that..?
If that would be confirmed, Slitaz4 community has to be warned asap!
If I can help more, please fell free to ask :)

or over the web

2013-11-30 16:46:33

by Hauke Mehrtens

On 11/30/2013 02:42 PM, Nikita N. wrote:
> follow answers
>
> On Sat, Nov 30, 2013, at 05:00 AM, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
>> On 11/30/2013 01:45 PM, Nikita N. wrote:
>>> Hi dear maintainers of backports :) I have few bugs to report, Ill try
>>> to be as fast as I can.
>>>
>>> - Bug #1:
>>> Im running on standard Slitaz4, kernel 2.6.37-slitaz, updating modules,
>>> the following script:
>>> ./backports-3.13-rc1-1/scripts/compress_modules.sh
>>> the "if" is not able to detect the present compression, as result the
>>> new modules are not compressed, and get mixed with the old ones
>>> compressed, resulting in lots of errors.
>>> My actual workaround is just to delete the "if" line.
>>> The issue is present systematically in all backports releases, since the
>>> switch from compat-drivers.
>>> The compress_modules script into 3.9 is instead working good.
>>
>> What distribution are you using? I want to reproduce the issue.

The output of modinfo -F filename mac80211 in Slitaz4 differs from the
output of the same command when the real and not the busybox modinfo was
used. This is not a bug in backports, but in your distribution.

> sure thing! you can get Slitaz4 here:
> http://mirror.slitaz.org/iso/4.0/slitaz-4.0.iso
>
>>> - Bug #2:
>>> eeprom modules are missing into 3.13.
>>> This issue is present systematically in all backports releases, since
>>> the switch from compat-drivers.
>>> It could be a wireless bug only, or a backports bug only, or both.
>>> Anyway, eeprom module is vital for correct interface detection.
>>> Into 3.9 the eeprom modules are located in
>>> ./compat-drivers-3.9-rc4-2-su/drivers/misc/eeprom/
>>
>> This should be included in your kernel you are compiling against
>> otherwise you wouldn't be able to build rtl8187.
>>
>> There was a bug in backports regarding EEPROM_93CX6, could you please
>> try backports-20131122-2 and report back if the problem is still there.
>
> We are already discussing that with Larry on wireless mailist, Ill
> forward the mails here FYI.

Yes eeprom_93cx6.ko was removed from backports, because the version
shipped by the kernels backports supports works with the wireless
drivers using eeprom_93cx6.ko. This module is activated in all
mainstream linux distribution kernel versions and we do not want to ship
it. When you are compiling your own kernel you should activate that
module in your kernel.

>>> - Bug #3:
>>> New dependance has been added, CRYPTO_CCM, which denies all modules
>>> compilation based on MAC80211.
>>> The dependance is set in ./backports-3.13-rc1-1/net/mac80211/Kconfig
>>> On Slitaz4, such kernel config is not set, hence its needed to edit
>>> manually the kernel .config in order to enable it.
>>> After enabling, modules compilation goes all right.
>>> Hence, or CRYPTO_CCM is useless, or its needed to show a warning to the
>>> user at Kconfig runtime, in order to take the necessary measures.
>>> It took forever (even for me!) to find that bug, which btw was denying
>>> the compilation of my Realtek modules.
>>
>> Yes that dependency was added to mac80211 in the mainline kernel some
>> weeks ago. After you activated CRYPTO_CCM in your kernel config you have
>> to recompile your kernel otherwise you will get problems at least when
>> you use WPA2.
>
> ..damn.. I dont know how many Slitaz4 users will be happy about that..
> :(

Most of the mainstream distributions are activating this as well on all
kernel versions supported by backports, if you are using a custom kernel
you should activate it.

>>> - Bug #4:
>>> Repeated back-slashes "//" are present into script-makefile files, you
>>> can see them appear for example running "make alldefconfig & make
>>> install":
>>> [...]
>>> COMPRESS /lib/modules/2.6.37-slitaz//updates/compat/compat.ko
>>> gzip: can't open
>>> '/lib/modules/2.6.37-slitaz//updates/compat/compat.ko.gz': File exists
>>> [...]
>>
>> Probably a different error is causing this problem, Linux is fine with
>> repeated back-slahes, it just does not look nice.
>
> agree, forgot adding "cosmetic" as below
>

>>> - Bug #5:
>>> Cosmetic bug, in file ./backports-3.13-rc1-1/Makefile, the following
>>> line is duplicated:
>>> @echo " allyesconfig - New config where all options are accepted
>>> with yes"

2013-11-30 13:01:05

by Hauke Mehrtens

> [...]

weeks ago. After you activated CRYPTO_CCM in your kernel config you have
to recompile your kernel otherwise you will get problems at least when
you use WPA2.

> - Bug #4:
> Repeated back-slashes "//" are present into script-makefile files, you
> can see them appear for example running "make alldefconfig & make
> install":
> [...]
> COMPRESS /lib/modules/2.6.37-slitaz//updates/compat/compat.ko
> gzip: can't open
> '/lib/modules/2.6.37-slitaz//updates/compat/compat.ko.gz': File exists
> [...]

Probably a different error is causing this problem, Linux is fine with
repeated back-slahes, it just does not look nice.

> - Bug #5:
> Cosmetic bug, in file ./backports-3.13-rc1-1/Makefile, the following

I will have a look into this.

> Hope all is clear, now I have to leave you because my baby sh*t the
> diapers so much all is getting out and my wife is shouting at me!
> aaargh! :D
> Thanks for your attention :)

2013-11-30 17:41:08

by Nikita N.

On Sat, Nov 30, 2013, at 08:46 AM, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
> On 11/30/2013 02:42 PM, Nikita N. wrote:
> > follow answers

> >> What distribution are you using? I want to reproduce the issue.
> >>

> The output of modinfo -F filename mac80211 in Slitaz4 differs from the
> output of the same command when the real and not the busybox modinfo was
> used. This is not a bug in backports, but in your distribution.

Clear, if you dont wish to adapt also to busybox syntax, I have no
problem with that, will keep on with my workaround, cutting the "if" all
the times.

> > sure thing! you can get Slitaz4 here:
> > http://mirror.slitaz.org/iso/4.0/slitaz-4.0.iso

> >> This should be included in your kernel you are compiling against
> >> otherwise you wouldn't be able to build rtl8187.
> >>
> >> There was a bug in backports regarding EEPROM_93CX6, could you please
> >> try backports-20131122-2 and report back if the problem is still there.
> >
> > We are already discussing that with Larry on wireless mailist, Ill
> > forward the mails here FYI.
>
> Yes eeprom_93cx6.ko was removed from backports, because the version
> shipped by the kernels backports supports works with the wireless
> drivers using eeprom_93cx6.ko. This module is activated in all
> mainstream linux distribution kernel versions and we do not want to ship
> it. When you are compiling your own kernel you should activate that
> module in your kernel.

Clear, if you wish to support only MAINstreams, im ok with that, I will
keep on with my workaround, adding eeprom_93cx6.c all the times.
FYI, Slitaz is the only MINI-distro working in ram at only 50 mbytes,
with a complete repository of applications and development tools.
Second is only Puppy linux, which structure is completely different,
more complex, twice bigger and twice slower..

> >> Yes that dependency was added to mac80211 in the mainline kernel some
> >> weeks ago. After you activated CRYPTO_CCM in your kernel config you have
> >> to recompile your kernel otherwise you will get problems at least when
> >> you use WPA2.
> >
> > ..damn.. I dont know how many Slitaz4 users will be happy about that..
> > :(
>
> Most of the mainstream distributions are activating this as well on all
> kernel versions supported by backports, if you are using a custom kernel
> you should activate it.

Clear, if CRYPTO_CCM cant be removed, I'll keep using standard Slitaz4
(the same you tested today) and submit CRYPTO_CCM as improvement request
for next Slitaz5.
I wont rebuild the kernel just for CRYPTO_CCM, that config is useless
for my needs.

Thanks anyway for your attention :)

wherever you are

2013-11-30 13:42:14