2014-09-09 10:28:57

by Arend van Spriel

Subject: Re: Mesh Support in brcmsmac

+ linux-wireless

On 09/09/14 12:22, chandrika parimoo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have broadcom bcm4313 card and am using brcmsmac driver which does not
> have mesh support currently.
> I wanted to know if there is a workaround for it?

No workaround. I am not familiar with wireless mesh networking. I
suppose there are people on the linux-wireless mailing list who know
what is needed from a mac80211 driver (like brcmsmac) to enable mesh
networking.

Regards,
Arend

> Thanks,
> Chandrika

2014-09-11 13:41:28

by chandrika parimoo

Is there any work already done or is being done to get the mesh
support on brcmsmac driver (I can see that b43 and b43legacy already
has mesh support)?
Since b43 has no support for BCM4313 chipsets so using b43 is not an
option in my case. Also, will making changes to brcmsmac be
sufficient or will there be a requirement for firmware changes to
achieve mesh support?

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 10:20 PM, Thomas Pedersen <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 9, 2014, at 06:26 AM, John W. Linville wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 12:28:54PM +0200, Arend van Spriel wrote:
>> > + linux-wireless

>> > No workaround. I am not familiar with wireless mesh networking. I suppose
>> > there are people on the linux-wireless mailing list who know what is needed
>> > from a mac80211 driver (like brcmsmac) to enable mesh networking.
>>
>> The main things is the beacons, no?
>
> Yeah mainly beacons, but also 4addr frames and FIF_OTHER_BSS filter.
>
> --
> thomas

2014-09-09 16:50:18

by Thomas Pedersen

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014, at 06:26 AM, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 12:28:54PM +0200, Arend van Spriel wrote:
> > + linux-wireless
> >
> > On 09/09/14 12:22, chandrika parimoo wrote:
> > >Hello,
> > >
> > >I have broadcom bcm4313 card and am using brcmsmac driver which does not
> > >have mesh support currently.
> > >I wanted to know if there is a workaround for it?
> >
> > No workaround. I am not familiar with wireless mesh networking. I suppose
> > there are people on the linux-wireless mailing list who know what is needed
> > from a mac80211 driver (like brcmsmac) to enable mesh networking.
>
> The main things is the beacons, no?

Yeah mainly beacons, but also 4addr frames and FIF_OTHER_BSS filter.

--
thomas

2014-09-09 13:30:12

by John W. Linville

On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 12:28:54PM +0200, Arend van Spriel wrote:
> + linux-wireless
>
> On 09/09/14 12:22, chandrika parimoo wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I have broadcom bcm4313 card and am using brcmsmac driver which does not
> >have mesh support currently.
> >I wanted to know if there is a workaround for it?
>
> No workaround. I am not familiar with wireless mesh networking. I suppose
> there are people on the linux-wireless mailing list who know what is needed
> from a mac80211 driver (like brcmsmac) to enable mesh networking.

The main things is the beacons, no?

--
John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you
[email protected] might be all we have. Be ready.