2013-11-25 13:41:45

by Pi

Subject: RTL8188SU monitor mode.

Hello.

Does the r92su or the r8712u drivers support monitor mode and package
injection for the RTL8188SU chipset?
Or it won't happen because of hardware limitations?

Some wifi adapters with very good sensitivity use this chipset.

Regards.

2013-11-25 22:46:43

by Christian Lamparter

Subject: Re: RTL8188SU monitor mode.

On Monday, November 25, 2013 02:41:24 PM Pi wrote:
> Does the r92su or the r8712u drivers support monitor mode
> and package injection for the RTL8188SU chipset?
It depends what you want to do. The original rtl8712 driver (from realtek's
site) has what seems to be a special mode (mp_mode) complete with special
ioctls, etc... which seems like it was designed with something like this in
mind.

However, I can't tell you if it works and what exactly it does and doesn't.
So far, the best answer is: it might work. However it's also possible that
you need a special firmware and/or a early FPGA/preproduction ASIC for this
feature.

Good Luck!

> Or it won't happen because of hardware limitations?
> Some wifi adapters with very good sensitivity use this chipset.
Well, then I have good news: You have a choice!!! Other vendors are
actively supporting their upstream drivers (and support is what you
want, right?!). Even better, these drivers already provide advanced
channel/site survey statistics and other important features like 5/
10MHz channels, coverage class, ... you name it: they got it... Already!

I'm sure - if you look around a bit - you can find a device which
supports what you need "out of the box".

Hint: Visit the wiki at [0].

Regards,

Christian

[0] <http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers>