2015-05-23 10:28:24

by Nick Dimov

Subject: packet loss, disconnects and possible bug in iwlwifi

Hello,
I recently bought the Intel 7260 AC wifi card (below is the PCI info)
and the card works perfectly in windows with the latest intel driver but
in linux I get deauthenticating and disconnects (reason -3) every minute
or so. When these disconnects happen I get packet loss. In the attached
file iwlwifi_dmesg.txt you can see the log that is produced each time a
disconnect happens. I also tried connecting on 2.4Ghz but I get the same
packet loss. I also put the last firmware from
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git
but it did not help.

There is also another problem: In windows i can see it connecting on
860mbps, but on linux it never goes higher than 600mbps (i check this
with iwconfig) and it stays somewhere on 500mbps.

Can you please help me solve this?
Thank you.

uname -a
Linux nick-laptop 3.19.0-18-generic #18-Ubuntu SMP Tue May 19 18:31:35
UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

lspci info:
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev bb)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
Memory at f7200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 3
Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [40] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number d8-fc-93-ff-ff-e4-70-d7
Capabilities: [14c] Latency Tolerance Reporting
Capabilities: [154] Vendor Specific Information: ID=cafe Rev=1
Len=014 <?>
Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi

Attachments:
iwlwifi_info.txt (19.21 kB)
iwlwifi_dmesg.txt (4.00 kB)

by Dan Williams

On Wed, 2015-05-27 at 02:44 +0300, Nick Dimov wrote:
> Hello,
> thank you for your response. I attach the full syslog since the last
> boot which contains some disconnects. I enabled debug mode for
> wpa_supplicant with -dd option (let me know if you need anything else).
>
> I also tried connecting directly, i.e. without NetworkManager but
> manually with wpa_supplicant and I still get disconnects, howvever
> wpa_supplicant gives different logs with different drivers. Please, see
> the file wifi.log (you can see there the driver i used in
> wpa_supplicant, that log doesn't have the debug activated but let me
> know if you need that too)

Also, make sure you stop NetworkManager when you're doing the manual
connection. With systemd, you need to 'systemctl mask NetworkManager'
and then 'systemctl stop NetworkManager' to prevent it from being D-Bus
activated too.

The reason I say this is because in your logs there are
locally-generated disconnections, and that happens when NetworkManager
is still running and hasn't been told to stop handling WiFi, and then
somebody runs another wpa_supplicant alongside.

Dan

> Thank you again,
> Nick.
>
> On 25.05.2015 14:33, Emmanuel Grumbach wrote:
> > On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 1:28 PM, Nick Dimov <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >> I recently bought the Intel 7260 AC wifi card (below is the PCI info)
> >> and the card works perfectly in windows with the latest intel driver but
> >> in linux I get deauthenticating and disconnects (reason -3) every minute
> >> or so. When these disconnects happen I get packet loss. In the attached
> >> file iwlwifi_dmesg.txt you can see the log that is produced each time a
> >> disconnect happens. I also tried connecting on 2.4Ghz but I get the same
> >> packet loss. I also put the last firmware from
> >> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git
> >> but it did not help.
> > Please increase the debug level of the supplicant. And attach the full syslog.
> >
> >> There is also another problem: In windows i can see it connecting on
> >> 860mbps, but on linux it never goes higher than 600mbps (i check this
> >> with iwconfig) and it stays somewhere on 500mbps.
> >>
> >> Can you please help me solve this?
> >> Thank you.
> >>
> >> uname -a
> >> Linux nick-laptop 3.19.0-18-generic #18-Ubuntu SMP Tue May 19 18:31:35
> >> UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> >>
> >> lspci info:
> >> 03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev bb)
> >> Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
> >> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 29
> >> Memory at f7200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
> >> Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 3
> >> Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
> >> Capabilities: [40] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
> >> Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
> >> Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number d8-fc-93-ff-ff-e4-70-d7
> >> Capabilities: [14c] Latency Tolerance Reporting
> >> Capabilities: [154] Vendor Specific Information: ID=cafe Rev=1
> >> Len=014 <?>
> >> Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi

2015-05-27 18:34:05

by Emmanuel Grumbach

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 6:55 PM, Dan Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-05-27 at 02:44 +0300, Nick Dimov wrote:
>> Hello,
>> thank you for your response. I attach the full syslog since the last
>> boot which contains some disconnects. I enabled debug mode for
>> wpa_supplicant with -dd option (let me know if you need anything else).
>>
>> I also tried connecting directly, i.e. without NetworkManager but
>> manually with wpa_supplicant and I still get disconnects, howvever
>> wpa_supplicant gives different logs with different drivers. Please, see
>> the file wifi.log (you can see there the driver i used in
>> wpa_supplicant, that log doesn't have the debug activated but let me
>> know if you need that too)
>
> So if NM isn't involved in your later runs (and it's not, looking at the
> logs), then I'm not sure what the issue could be except something in the
> driver.
>
> mai 27 02:31:54 nick-G55VW wpa_supplicant[1565]: nl80211: Event message
> available
> mai 27 02:31:54 nick-G55VW wpa_supplicant[1565]: nl80211: Drv Event 20
> (NL80211_CMD_DEL_STATION) received for wlan5
> mai 27 02:31:54 nick-G55VW wpa_supplicant[1565]: nl80211: Delete station
> d8:50:e6:da:1d:b4
> mai 27 02:31:54 nick-G55VW kernel: wlan5: deauthenticating from
> d8:50:e6:da:1d:b4 by local choice (Reason: 3=DEAUTH_LEAVING)
>
> I don't see anything interesting around those lines, so I guess its up
> to Emmanuel now... the tracing he requests would be good to get.

I suspect a regulatory problem. This is why I asked what was the
channel used on 2.4GHz. On 5.2GHz we have seen bugs happening because
of the regulatory database being ancient on Ubuntu. 2.4GHz should rule
these problems out, unless we are talking about channel 12 and up or
something like that.

2015-05-27 19:24:15

by Nick Dimov

Hello,
does it help that the disconnects happen at precise intervals, please
check this:

mai 27 22:18:52 nick-G55VW wpa_supplicant[4506]: wlan5:
CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to d8:50:e6:da:1d:b4 completed [id=0
id_str=]
mai 27 22:19:56 nick-G55VW wpa_supplicant[4506]: wlan5:
CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to d8:50:e6:da:1d:b4 completed [id=0
id_str=]
mai 27 22:20:59 nick-G55VW wpa_supplicant[4506]: wlan5:
CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to d8:50:e6:da:1d:b4 completed [id=0
id_str=]
mai 27 22:22:03 nick-G55VW wpa_supplicant[4506]: wlan5:
CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to d8:50:e6:da:1d:b4 completed [id=0
id_str=]

You can see the interval is the same and is always 63-64 seconds.

On 27.05.2015 21:34, Emmanuel Grumbach wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 6:55 PM, Dan Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2015-05-27 at 02:44 +0300, Nick Dimov wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> thank you for your response. I attach the full syslog since the last
>>> boot which contains some disconnects. I enabled debug mode for
>>> wpa_supplicant with -dd option (let me know if you need anything else).
>>>
>>> I also tried connecting directly, i.e. without NetworkManager but
>>> manually with wpa_supplicant and I still get disconnects, howvever
>>> wpa_supplicant gives different logs with different drivers. Please, see
>>> the file wifi.log (you can see there the driver i used in
>>> wpa_supplicant, that log doesn't have the debug activated but let me
>>> know if you need that too)
>> So if NM isn't involved in your later runs (and it's not, looking at the
>> logs), then I'm not sure what the issue could be except something in the
>> driver.
>>
>> mai 27 02:31:54 nick-G55VW wpa_supplicant[1565]: nl80211: Event message
>> available
>> mai 27 02:31:54 nick-G55VW wpa_supplicant[1565]: nl80211: Drv Event 20
>> (NL80211_CMD_DEL_STATION) received for wlan5
>> mai 27 02:31:54 nick-G55VW wpa_supplicant[1565]: nl80211: Delete station
>> d8:50:e6:da:1d:b4
>> mai 27 02:31:54 nick-G55VW kernel: wlan5: deauthenticating from
>> d8:50:e6:da:1d:b4 by local choice (Reason: 3=DEAUTH_LEAVING)
>>
>> I don't see anything interesting around those lines, so I guess its up
>> to Emmanuel now... the tracing he requests would be good to get.
>>
> I suspect a regulatory problem. This is why I asked what was the
> channel used on 2.4GHz. On 5.2GHz we have seen bugs happening because
> of the regulatory database being ancient on Ubuntu. 2.4GHz should rule
> these problems out, unless we are talking about channel 12 and up or
> something like that.

2015-05-27 11:33:58

by Emmanuel Grumbach

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 3:41 AM, Nick Dimov <[email protected]> wrote:
> hello,
> I will record a tracing but now my kernel doesn't have
> CONFIG_IWLWIFI_TRACING (default ubuntu kernel) so I will have to
> activate the setting and recompile it. As for wpa_supplicant - I checked
> several times and there is indeed a single process running, also its PID
> doesn't change during disconnects. Btw, I also tested with 4.0 kernel
> from the next release of ubuntu and the result is the same. Also the
> laptop is next to the router and there are no other networks on 5Ghz
> here (however the problem happens on 2.4Ghz too)

On what channel is the AP on 2.4GHz?

> Thank you,
> Nick.
>
> On 27.05.2015 03:27, Emmanuel Grumbach wrote:
>> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 2:44 AM, Nick Dimov <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> thank you for your response. I attach the full syslog since the last
>>> boot which contains some disconnects. I enabled debug mode for
>>> wpa_supplicant with -dd option (let me know if you need anything else).
>>>
>>> I also tried connecting directly, i.e. without NetworkManager but
>>> manually with wpa_supplicant and I still get disconnects, howvever
>>> wpa_supplicant gives different logs with different drivers. Please, see
>>> the file wifi.log (you can see there the driver i used in
>>> wpa_supplicant, that log doesn't have the debug activated but let me
>>> know if you need that too)
>> Please record tracing
>> (https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi/debugging#tracing)
>> and the syslog from the *same run*. Someone is disconnecting you and I
>> can't see who and why. Are you sure you have only one instance of the
>> supplicant running?
>>
>>> Thank you again,
>>> Nick.

2015-05-27 19:19:16

by Nick Dimov

Hello,
It looks the problem on 2.4Ghz is different - I get packet loss
sometimes but there are no disconnects, no wpa_supplicant entries in
syslog at all. Now it runs great and is connected at 300mbps. I can not
reproduce the packet loss on 2.4Ghz anymore.
Does this help? How to update the regulatory database?

On 27.05.2015 21:34, Emmanuel Grumbach wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 6:55 PM, Dan Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2015-05-27 at 02:44 +0300, Nick Dimov wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> thank you for your response. I attach the full syslog since the last
>>> boot which contains some disconnects. I enabled debug mode for
>>> wpa_supplicant with -dd option (let me know if you need anything else).
>>>
>>> I also tried connecting directly, i.e. without NetworkManager but
>>> manually with wpa_supplicant and I still get disconnects, howvever
>>> wpa_supplicant gives different logs with different drivers. Please, see
>>> the file wifi.log (you can see there the driver i used in
>>> wpa_supplicant, that log doesn't have the debug activated but let me
>>> know if you need that too)
>> So if NM isn't involved in your later runs (and it's not, looking at the
>> logs), then I'm not sure what the issue could be except something in the
>> driver.
>>
>> mai 27 02:31:54 nick-G55VW wpa_supplicant[1565]: nl80211: Event message
>> available
>> mai 27 02:31:54 nick-G55VW wpa_supplicant[1565]: nl80211: Drv Event 20
>> (NL80211_CMD_DEL_STATION) received for wlan5
>> mai 27 02:31:54 nick-G55VW wpa_supplicant[1565]: nl80211: Delete station
>> d8:50:e6:da:1d:b4
>> mai 27 02:31:54 nick-G55VW kernel: wlan5: deauthenticating from
>> d8:50:e6:da:1d:b4 by local choice (Reason: 3=DEAUTH_LEAVING)
>>
>> I don't see anything interesting around those lines, so I guess its up
>> to Emmanuel now... the tracing he requests would be good to get.
>>
> I suspect a regulatory problem. This is why I asked what was the
> channel used on 2.4GHz. On 5.2GHz we have seen bugs happening because
> of the regulatory database being ancient on Ubuntu. 2.4GHz should rule
> these problems out, unless we are talking about channel 12 and up or
> something like that.

2015-05-27 21:02:44

by Dan Williams

On Wed, 2015-05-27 at 22:46 +0300, Nick Dimov wrote:
> Hello everyone.
> I updated the regulatory database from here
> https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/network/wireless-regdb/ (just copied
> the regulatory.bin and the public key) and the problem is gone! Thank to
> all of you and especially to Emmanuel Grumbach for suggesting this.
>
> Now another question - how to make it connect at 866mbps or at least
> something close to it? Any ideas?

iwlwifi does dynamic rate scaling, so you'll almost never see 866mbps.
When traffic is idle it drops back to 1mbit rates and then when traffic
starts, scales up from there. Also, I'm pretty sure you'll never get
866mbps in the 2.4GHz band due to lack of bandwidth there, you'll have
to go 5GHz for that.

Use "iw dev <ifname> link" to see the current rate.

Dan

> Thanks you,
> Nick.
>
> On 27.05.2015 21:34, Emmanuel Grumbach wrote:

> >> So if NM isn't involved in your later runs (and it's not, looking at the
> >> logs), then I'm not sure what the issue could be except something in the
> >> driver.
> >>
> >> mai 27 02:31:54 nick-G55VW wpa_supplicant[1565]: nl80211: Event message
> >> available
> >> mai 27 02:31:54 nick-G55VW wpa_supplicant[1565]: nl80211: Drv Event 20
> >> (NL80211_CMD_DEL_STATION) received for wlan5
> >> mai 27 02:31:54 nick-G55VW wpa_supplicant[1565]: nl80211: Delete station
> >> d8:50:e6:da:1d:b4
> >> mai 27 02:31:54 nick-G55VW kernel: wlan5: deauthenticating from
> >> d8:50:e6:da:1d:b4 by local choice (Reason: 3=DEAUTH_LEAVING)
> >>
> >> I don't see anything interesting around those lines, so I guess its up
> >> to Emmanuel now... the tracing he requests would be good to get.
> >>
> > I suspect a regulatory problem. This is why I asked what was the
> > channel used on 2.4GHz. On 5.2GHz we have seen bugs happening because
> > of the regulatory database being ancient on Ubuntu. 2.4GHz should rule
> > these problems out, unless we are talking about channel 12 and up or
> > something like that.

by Emmanuel Grumbach

On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 1:28 PM, Nick Dimov <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
> I recently bought the Intel 7260 AC wifi card (below is the PCI info)
> and the card works perfectly in windows with the latest intel driver but
> in linux I get deauthenticating and disconnects (reason -3) every minute
> or so. When these disconnects happen I get packet loss. In the attached
> file iwlwifi_dmesg.txt you can see the log that is produced each time a
> disconnect happens. I also tried connecting on 2.4Ghz but I get the same
> packet loss. I also put the last firmware from
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git
> but it did not help.

Please increase the debug level of the supplicant. And attach the full syslog.

> There is also another problem: In windows i can see it connecting on
> 860mbps, but on linux it never goes higher than 600mbps (i check this
> with iwconfig) and it stays somewhere on 500mbps.
>
> Can you please help me solve this?
> Thank you.
>
> uname -a
> Linux nick-laptop 3.19.0-18-generic #18-Ubuntu SMP Tue May 19 18:31:35
> UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> lspci info:
> 03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev bb)
> Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 29
> Memory at f7200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
> Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 3
> Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
> Capabilities: [40] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
> Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
> Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number d8-fc-93-ff-ff-e4-70-d7
> Capabilities: [14c] Latency Tolerance Reporting
> Capabilities: [154] Vendor Specific Information: ID=cafe Rev=1
> Len=014 <?>
> Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi

2015-05-27 19:02:18

by Nick Dimov

Hello,
the channel for 2.4Ghz is:
Channel: 6
Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
Quality=65/70 Signal level=-45 dBm

Also I can't find how to activate CONFIG_IWLWIFI_TRACING in kernel (it's
missing in my kernel's config). I'm using the 3.19 kernel. The trace-cmd
seems to run, how can I check if it produces the trace you need?

Please, let me know!
Thanks.

On 27.05.2015 21:34, Emmanuel Grumbach wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 6:55 PM, Dan Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2015-05-27 at 02:44 +0300, Nick Dimov wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> thank you for your response. I attach the full syslog since the last
>>> boot which contains some disconnects. I enabled debug mode for
>>> wpa_supplicant with -dd option (let me know if you need anything else).
>>>
>>> I also tried connecting directly, i.e. without NetworkManager but
>>> manually with wpa_supplicant and I still get disconnects, howvever
>>> wpa_supplicant gives different logs with different drivers. Please, see
>>> the file wifi.log (you can see there the driver i used in
>>> wpa_supplicant, that log doesn't have the debug activated but let me
>>> know if you need that too)
>> So if NM isn't involved in your later runs (and it's not, looking at the
>> logs), then I'm not sure what the issue could be except something in the
>> driver.
>>
>> mai 27 02:31:54 nick-G55VW wpa_supplicant[1565]: nl80211: Event message
>> available
>> mai 27 02:31:54 nick-G55VW wpa_supplicant[1565]: nl80211: Drv Event 20
>> (NL80211_CMD_DEL_STATION) received for wlan5
>> mai 27 02:31:54 nick-G55VW wpa_supplicant[1565]: nl80211: Delete station
>> d8:50:e6:da:1d:b4
>> mai 27 02:31:54 nick-G55VW kernel: wlan5: deauthenticating from
>> d8:50:e6:da:1d:b4 by local choice (Reason: 3=DEAUTH_LEAVING)
>>
>> I don't see anything interesting around those lines, so I guess its up
>> to Emmanuel now... the tracing he requests would be good to get.
>>
> I suspect a regulatory problem. This is why I asked what was the
> channel used on 2.4GHz. On 5.2GHz we have seen bugs happening because
> of the regulatory database being ancient on Ubuntu. 2.4GHz should rule
> these problems out, unless we are talking about channel 12 and up or
> something like that.

2015-05-27 14:08:51

by Dan Williams

On Wed, 2015-05-27 at 08:54 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-05-27 at 02:44 +0300, Nick Dimov wrote:
> > Hello,
> > thank you for your response. I attach the full syslog since the last
> > boot which contains some disconnects. I enabled debug mode for
> > wpa_supplicant with -dd option (let me know if you need anything else).
> >
> > I also tried connecting directly, i.e. without NetworkManager but
> > manually with wpa_supplicant and I still get disconnects, howvever
> > wpa_supplicant gives different logs with different drivers. Please, see
> > the file wifi.log (you can see there the driver i used in
> > wpa_supplicant, that log doesn't have the debug activated but let me
> > know if you need that too)
>
> Also, make sure you stop NetworkManager when you're doing the manual
> connection. With systemd, you need to 'systemctl mask NetworkManager'
> and then 'systemctl stop NetworkManager' to prevent it from being D-Bus
> activated too.

Or, "nmcli net off" to put NM to sleep temporarily, without messing
around with systemd.

Dan

> The reason I say this is because in your logs there are
> locally-generated disconnections, and that happens when NetworkManager
> is still running and hasn't been told to stop handling WiFi, and then
> somebody runs another wpa_supplicant alongside.
>
> Dan
>
> > Thank you again,
> > Nick.

> > > Please increase the debug level of the supplicant. And attach the full syslog.

by Nick Dimov

hello,
I will record a tracing but now my kernel doesn't have
CONFIG_IWLWIFI_TRACING (default ubuntu kernel) so I will have to
activate the setting and recompile it. As for wpa_supplicant - I checked
several times and there is indeed a single process running, also its PID
doesn't change during disconnects. Btw, I also tested with 4.0 kernel
from the next release of ubuntu and the result is the same. Also the
laptop is next to the router and there are no other networks on 5Ghz
here (however the problem happens on 2.4Ghz too)

Thank you,
Nick.

On 27.05.2015 03:27, Emmanuel Grumbach wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 2:44 AM, Nick Dimov <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> thank you for your response. I attach the full syslog since the last
>> boot which contains some disconnects. I enabled debug mode for
>> wpa_supplicant with -dd option (let me know if you need anything else).
>>
>> I also tried connecting directly, i.e. without NetworkManager but
>> manually with wpa_supplicant and I still get disconnects, howvever
>> wpa_supplicant gives different logs with different drivers. Please, see
>> the file wifi.log (you can see there the driver i used in
>> wpa_supplicant, that log doesn't have the debug activated but let me
>> know if you need that too)
> Please record tracing
> (https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi/debugging#tracing)
> and the syslog from the *same run*. Someone is disconnecting you and I
> can't see who and why. Are you sure you have only one instance of the
> supplicant running?
>
>> Thank you again,
>> Nick.

>>> Please increase the debug level of the supplicant. And attach the full syslog.

2015-05-27 19:46:09

by Nick Dimov

Hello everyone.
I updated the regulatory database from here
https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/network/wireless-regdb/ (just copied
the regulatory.bin and the public key) and the problem is gone! Thank to
all of you and especially to Emmanuel Grumbach for suggesting this.

Now another question - how to make it connect at 866mbps or at least
something close to it? Any ideas?

Thanks you,
Nick.

On 27.05.2015 21:34, Emmanuel Grumbach wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 6:55 PM, Dan Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2015-05-27 at 02:44 +0300, Nick Dimov wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> thank you for your response. I attach the full syslog since the last
>>> boot which contains some disconnects. I enabled debug mode for
>>> wpa_supplicant with -dd option (let me know if you need anything else).
>>>
>>> I also tried connecting directly, i.e. without NetworkManager but
>>> manually with wpa_supplicant and I still get disconnects, howvever
>>> wpa_supplicant gives different logs with different drivers. Please, see
>>> the file wifi.log (you can see there the driver i used in
>>> wpa_supplicant, that log doesn't have the debug activated but let me
>>> know if you need that too)
>> So if NM isn't involved in your later runs (and it's not, looking at the
>> logs), then I'm not sure what the issue could be except something in the
>> driver.
>>
>> mai 27 02:31:54 nick-G55VW wpa_supplicant[1565]: nl80211: Event message
>> available
>> mai 27 02:31:54 nick-G55VW wpa_supplicant[1565]: nl80211: Drv Event 20
>> (NL80211_CMD_DEL_STATION) received for wlan5
>> mai 27 02:31:54 nick-G55VW wpa_supplicant[1565]: nl80211: Delete station
>> d8:50:e6:da:1d:b4
>> mai 27 02:31:54 nick-G55VW kernel: wlan5: deauthenticating from
>> d8:50:e6:da:1d:b4 by local choice (Reason: 3=DEAUTH_LEAVING)
>>
>> I don't see anything interesting around those lines, so I guess its up
>> to Emmanuel now... the tracing he requests would be good to get.
>>
> I suspect a regulatory problem. This is why I asked what was the
> channel used on 2.4GHz. On 5.2GHz we have seen bugs happening because
> of the regulatory database being ancient on Ubuntu. 2.4GHz should rule
> these problems out, unless we are talking about channel 12 and up or
> something like that.

2015-05-27 15:55:34

> [...]

> >> Can you please help me solve this?
> >> Thank you.
> >>
> >> uname -a
> >> Linux nick-laptop 3.19.0-18-generic #18-Ubuntu SMP Tue May 19 18:31:35
> >> UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> >>
> >> lspci info:
> >> 03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev bb)
> >> Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
> >> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 29
> >> Memory at f7200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
> >> Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 3
> >> Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
> >> Capabilities: [40] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
> >> Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
> >> Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number d8-fc-93-ff-ff-e4-70-d7
> >> Capabilities: [14c] Latency Tolerance Reporting
> >> Capabilities: [154] Vendor Specific Information: ID=cafe Rev=1

2015-05-27 14:18:36

by Nick Dimov

Hello,
these logs are produced with NetworkManager (i connected using network
manager). The only log that was produced with wpa_supplicant only is
wifi.log where u can see the wpa_supplicant command arguments. The
NetworkManager was stopped with systemctl stop (however I did not use
systemctl mask, but from what I've checked, there was no network manger
shown in process list). I will try to redo the test with NM masked.

Btw, I tried a Fedora 22 livecd and there were no disconnects at all (it
has new wpa_supplicant 2.3.3, here I have 2.1), however the max
connection speed I saw there was 300mbps. Here on Ubuntu Vivid i see
speeds up to 620mbps (and in Windows 7 I have 866mbps).

On 27.05.2015 17:08, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-05-27 at 08:54 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
>> On Wed, 2015-05-27 at 02:44 +0300, Nick Dimov wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> thank you for your response. I attach the full syslog since the last
>>> boot which contains some disconnects. I enabled debug mode for
>>> wpa_supplicant with -dd option (let me know if you need anything else).
>>>
>>> I also tried connecting directly, i.e. without NetworkManager but
>>> manually with wpa_supplicant and I still get disconnects, howvever
>>> wpa_supplicant gives different logs with different drivers. Please, see
>>> the file wifi.log (you can see there the driver i used in
>>> wpa_supplicant, that log doesn't have the debug activated but let me
>>> know if you need that too)
>> Also, make sure you stop NetworkManager when you're doing the manual
>> connection. With systemd, you need to 'systemctl mask NetworkManager'
>> and then 'systemctl stop NetworkManager' to prevent it from being D-Bus
>> activated too.
> Or, "nmcli net off" to put NM to sleep temporarily, without messing
> around with systemd.
>
> Dan
>
>> The reason I say this is because in your logs there are
>> locally-generated disconnections, and that happens when NetworkManager
>> is still running and hasn't been told to stop handling WiFi, and then
>> somebody runs another wpa_supplicant alongside.
>>
>> Dan
>>
>>> Thank you again,
>>> Nick.

>> --
>> the body of a message to [email protected]

by Nick Dimov

Hello,
Yes,I use 5Ghz and I'm aware of dynamic rate scaling (i monitored it
with iwconfig before). It's just no matter how I load it i never shows
speeds more than 520mbps (very rarely i get 600 but it doesn't last even
1 second). I load it with iperf and the max *real* speed I get is about
240mbps in TCP mode. Under Windows 7, I can see 866mbps when there is load.

Is there a reason why it avoids speeds bigger than 520mbps? Also is it
normal to get only half of the connection speed with iperf?
Regards,
Nick.

On 28.05.2015 00:02, Dan Williams wrote:
> [...]

>> Can you please help me solve this?
>> Thank you.
>>
>> uname -a
>> Linux nick-laptop 3.19.0-18-generic #18-Ubuntu SMP Tue May 19 18:31:35
>> UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
>> lspci info:
>> 03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev bb)
>> Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
>> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 29
>> Memory at f7200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
>> Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 3
>> Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
>> Capabilities: [40] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
>> Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
>> Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number d8-fc-93-ff-ff-e4-70-d7
>> Capabilities: [14c] Latency Tolerance Reporting
>> Capabilities: [154] Vendor Specific Information: ID=cafe Rev=1

wifi.log (2.45 kB)
full_syslog (380.76 kB)

by Emmanuel Grumbach