2016-06-01 16:12:55

by Dibyajyoti Ghosh

Subject: Where to post Wireless Tools Patches

Hi,

I want to know the mail id list to send a patch on Wireless Tools.
Kindly reply ASAP.

Thanks,
Dibyajyoti

2016-06-01 18:32:12

by Dan Williams

Subject: Re: Where to post Wireless Tools Patches

On Wed, 2016-06-01 at 19:38 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-06-01 at 12:20 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
>

> > Assuming you mean the "wireless-tools" package, this list is OK.
> >  But
> > probably nobody will apply the patches, since wireless-tools and
> > the
> > WEXT API are long-since deprecated
> I don't think anyone even maintains the wireless-tools package any
> more. I don't know who would, anyway, since I haven't heard anything
> from Jean in many years.

I was surprised to run into Jean at the 2015 OVS Fall Conference last
November.  He's spent the last few years shepherding OpenFlow
specifications though formalization and hasn't done any work in
wireless for a long long time.  He also said he's extremely unlikely to
do any wireless stuff now or in the future :)  So yeah, wireless-tools
is unmaintained.

Dan

2016-06-01 17:20:28

by Dan Williams

On Wed, 2016-06-01 at 21:42 +0530, Dibyajyoti Ghosh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to know the mail id list to send a patch on Wireless Tools.
> Kindly reply ASAP.

Assuming you mean the "wireless-tools" package, this list is OK.  But
probably nobody will apply the patches, since wireless-tools and the
WEXT API are long-since deprecated and haven't been updated in probably
6 or 7 years.  The bar to changes is quite high because of this, even
for trivial ones.

Instead, drivers and userspace tools have moved to the nl80211 APIs to
replace WEXT and the 'iw' tool to replace 'iwconfig'.

Dan

2016-06-01 17:38:45

by Johannes Berg

On Wed, 2016-06-01 at 12:20 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:

> Assuming you mean the "wireless-tools" package, this list is OK.  But
> probably nobody will apply the patches, since wireless-tools and the
> WEXT API are long-since deprecated

I don't think anyone even maintains the wireless-tools package any
more. I don't know who would, anyway, since I haven't heard anything
from Jean in many years.

johannes