2013-05-22 18:24:27

by Mohit

Subject: Ralink RT3290 proprietary drivers causing kernel panic

Hello,

I am on openSUSE 12.3 with kernel 3.7.10-1.4-desktop, i
wanted to try out the proprietary drivers for Ralink RT3290 so i
downloaded the drivers from
http://www.mediatek.com/_en/07_downloads/01_windows.php?sn=501 and
compiled the drivers as mentioned on my thread here :
https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/wireless/486975-rt3290-wireless-proprietary-drivers-not-working.html#post2557514.
Everything compiled fine, openSUSE was able to scan and connect to
access points after installation, but when i access the internet a
kernel panic occurs after ~5sec (time varies based on the data usage).
So i humbly request you to please provide the solution for the same, you
can reach me through email or reply to my thread (probably faster as i
don't check my email everyday).

Thank You!

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************
"This e-Mail may contain proprietary and confidential information and is
sent for the intended recipient(s) only. If, by an addressing or
transmission error, this mail has been misdirected to you, you are
requested to delete this mail immediately.You are also hereby notified that
any use, any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure,
modification, distribution and/or publication of this e-mail
message,contents or its attachment(s) other than by its intended
recipient(s) is strictly prohibited.Any opinions expressed in this email
are those of the individual and not necessarily of the organization.Before
opening attachment(s), please scan for viruses."
**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

2013-05-22 19:55:51

by Gertjan van Wingerde

Hi Mohit,

Sent from my iPad

On 22 mei 2013, at 20:24, Mohit <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am on openSUSE 12.3 with kernel 3.7.10-1.4-desktop, i wanted to try out the proprietary drivers for Ralink RT3290 so i downloaded the drivers from http://www.mediatek.com/_en/07_downloads/01_windows.php?sn=501 and compiled the drivers as mentioned on my thread here : https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/wireless/486975-rt3290-wireless-proprietary-drivers-not-working.html#post2557514. Everything compiled fine, openSUSE was able to scan and connect to access points after installation, but when i access the internet a kernel panic occurs after ~5sec (time varies based on the data usage). So i humbly request you to please provide the solution for the same, you can reach me through email or reply to my thread (probably faster as i don't check my email everyday).

You'll have to contact Mediatek about the drivers that you downloaded from their web site.
None of us on this mailing list have created this driver, nor are we supporting it.

Note that the standard kernel does contain support for the RT3290 chipset in its rt2x00 driver since kernel version 3.6 or 3.7, so you might give that a try.

---
Gertjan

2013-05-23 12:21:22

by Mohit

On Thursday 23 May 2013 01:25 AM, Gertjan van Wingerde wrote:
> Hi Mohit,
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 22 mei 2013, at 20:24, Mohit <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am on openSUSE 12.3 with kernel 3.7.10-1.4-desktop, i wanted to try out the proprietary drivers for Ralink RT3290 so i downloaded the drivers from http://www.mediatek.com/_en/07_downloads/01_windows.php?sn=501 and compiled the drivers as mentioned on my thread here : https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/wireless/486975-rt3290-wireless-proprietary-drivers-not-working.html#post2557514. Everything compiled fine, openSUSE was able to scan and connect to access points after installation, but when i access the internet a kernel panic occurs after ~5sec (time varies based on the data usage). So i humbly request you to please provide the solution for the same, you can reach me through email or reply to my thread (probably faster as i don't check my email everyday).
>>
> You'll have to contact Mediatek about the drivers that you downloaded from their web site.
> None of us on this mailing list have created this driver, nor are we supporting it.
>
> Note that the standard kernel does contain support for the RT3290 chipset in its rt2x00 driver since kernel version 3.6 or 3.7, so you might give that a try.
>
> ---
> Gertjan
The drivers work in kernel 3.2 but stop working from either kernel ver.
3.3, 3.4 or 3.5.

The drivers included in the kernel work, but they are a buggy, have low
range, connection drops etc.
I switched from Linux mint 13 kernel 3.2, installed the proprietary
driver and it is way better than rt2800pci drivers interms of signal
strength, latency, speed etc. I think the proprietary drivers use
rt2860pci driver instead of a dedicated rt3290sta driver.

Can the drivers included in the kernel be tweaked to match the
proprietary driver?

Can the future kernels support the drivers?

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************
"This e-Mail may contain proprietary and confidential information and is
sent for the intended recipient(s) only. If, by an addressing or
transmission error, this mail has been misdirected to you, you are
requested to delete this mail immediately.You are also hereby notified that
any use, any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure,
modification, distribution and/or publication of this e-mail
message,contents or its attachment(s) other than by its intended
recipient(s) is strictly prohibited.Any opinions expressed in this email
are those of the individual and not necessarily of the organization.Before
opening attachment(s), please scan for viruses."
**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

2013-05-23 16:33:53

by Andreas Hartmann

Mohit wrote:
[...]
> The drivers work in kernel 3.2 but stop working from either kernel ver.
> 3.3, 3.4 or 3.5.

>From my experience, it seems more to be a compiler / binutils problem:

See
http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?group=gmane.linux.drivers.rt2x00.user&article=1765

> The drivers included in the kernel work, but they are a buggy, have low
> range, connection drops etc.

Exactly my experience here, especially the USB ones (but seems to be
heavily hardware dependent). And they produce enormous cpu load as soon
as throughput rises.

That's why I'm only using the vendor driver (for STA), too (besides the
point that rt2800usb doesn't support a Linksys AE3000 at all e.g.
(http://wikidevi.com/wiki/Linksys_AE3000), which is a really fine device!)

> I switched from Linux mint 13 kernel 3.2, installed the proprietary
> driver and it is way better than rt2800pci drivers interms of signal
> strength, latency, speed etc. I think the proprietary drivers use
> rt2860pci driver instead of a dedicated rt3290sta driver.
>
> Can the drivers included in the kernel be tweaked to match the
> proprietary driver?

It would be cool on the one hand, if Mediatek would integrate their own
drivers themselves to mac80211, but on the other hand, I fear, this is
mostly impossible because mac80211 (which was heavily built for and from
Atheros and Intel and therefore "optimized" for there own needs) doesn't
match the requirements of the Ralink hardware.

That's why I'm happy they don't integrate their drivers in the existing
mac80211 because I fear a likewise bad quality.

I think the maintainer of rt2800 do all they can given the opportunities
they have so far. Unfortunately, they have very little opportunities
from my point of view.

Kind regards,
Andreas

2013-05-22 20:22:16

by Jakub Kicinski

On Wed, 22 May 2013 23:54:04 +0530, Mohit wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am on openSUSE 12.3 with kernel 3.7.10-1.4-desktop, i
> wanted to try out the proprietary drivers for Ralink RT3290 so i
> downloaded the drivers from
> http://www.mediatek.com/_en/07_downloads/01_windows.php?sn=501 and
> compiled the drivers as mentioned on my thread here :
> https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/wireless/486975-rt3290-wireless-proprietary-drivers-not-working.html#post2557514.
> Everything compiled fine, openSUSE was able to scan and connect to
> access points after installation, but when i access the internet a
> kernel panic occurs after ~5sec (time varies based on the data usage).
> So i humbly request you to please provide the solution for the same, you
> can reach me through email or reply to my thread (probably faster as i
> don't check my email everyday).

I think vendor drivers crash on 64bit kernel because they
have faulty skb offsets handling. It's usually enough to fix
GCC warnings to make them work.

Having said that - I agree with Gertjan, you should really try
rt2800 from your kernel (or preferably from compat-wireless)
and if that doesn't work ask the vendor for help.

-- Kuba