2022-04-12 23:18:04

by Philip Prindeville

Subject: What's required for WiFi 6 Certified Location service?

Hi all,

Not my wheelhouse... and I've not read through the WiFi 6 Certified Location service specification, but does anyone have an idea of what would be required to support this in out-of-the-box Linux?

Per this news release:

https://www.wi-fi.org/news-events/newsroom/wi-fi-certified-location-brings-wi-fi-indoor-positioning-capabilities

> Wi-Fi Location™, based on the Fine Timing Measurement (FTM) protocol from IEEE 802.11-2016, delivers meter-level accuracy for indoor device location data.

Looking in include/linux/ieee80211.h I see:

include/linux/ieee80211.h: WLAN_PUB_ACTION_FTM_REQUEST = 32,
include/linux/ieee80211.h: WLAN_PUB_ACTION_FTM = 33,

But these don't appear anywhere else in the tree.

It also states:

> Each AP in a Wi-Fi Location network is configured with its exact location, including geospatial coordinates (latitude, longitude, and altitude), and civic address. This allows more precise location determination than with other solutions, even in multilevel structures.

But doesn't specify how that location is exchanged with the client.

Is anyone in the Linux kernel community working on an FTM implementation?

Thanks

2022-04-12 23:18:04

by Jeff Johnson

On 4/12/2022 12:40 PM, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> Is anyone in the Linux kernel community working on an FTM implementation?

Start by looking at the usage of struct cfg80211_pmsr_request_peer and
you'll find an in-tree Intel implementation.

Also I expect that every Android vendor has an out-of-tree implementation.

2022-04-15 08:46:40

by Philip Prindeville

> On Apr 12, 2022, at 2:03 PM, Jeff Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> On 4/12/2022 12:40 PM, Philip Prindeville wrote:
>> Is anyone in the Linux kernel community working on an FTM implementation?
>
> Start by looking at the usage of struct cfg80211_pmsr_request_peer and you'll find an in-tree Intel implementation.
>
> Also I expect that every Android vendor has an out-of-tree implementation.

Interesting.

I guess a lot of commercial SoHo routers won't have support until the Ath9k, etc. families have support added. Not clear if/when that will happen.

-Philip