2011-05-13 12:44:21

by Johannes Berg

Subject: concurrency advertising -- driver maintainers

Please excuse the long CC list. I want to make you aware that I plan to
remove the WIPHY_FLAG_ENFORCE_COMBINATIONS flag again soon, so that all
drivers that don't advertise valid combinations will not be able to have
multiple virtual interfaces.

The affected drivers, as far as I can tell, are:
* ath5k
* ath9k
* carl9170
* hwsim (I'll look at this)
* iwlagn (I'm handling that of course)
* mwl8k
* rt2x00 (see RFC patch)

I'm happy to help out with the restrictions code, please let me know.

I'd like to remove the flag again before it ever goes upstream, but I
understand the timing is bad, unless we hold my patch out of 2.6.40.

For completeness, I checked all drivers, and the following drivers don't
support more than a single virtual interface anyway:
* adm8211
* at76c50x-usb -- but it is broken because it has no checks
* b43
* b43legacy
* iwlegacy
* libertas_tf
* p54
* rtl8180
* rtl8187
* rtlwifi
* wl1251
* wl12xx
* zd1211
(Staging drivers:)
* brcm80211 is broken, allows multiple but can't handle it
* winbond is also broken the same way

johannes

2011-05-13 14:33:40

by Johannes Berg

Subject: Re: concurrency advertising -- driver maintainers

On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 20:02 +0530, Sujith wrote:
> Johannes Berg wrote:
> > On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 14:44 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> >
> > > The affected drivers, as far as I can tell, are:
> >
> > I forgot ath9k_htc, which needs to advertise something afaict (two
> > interfaces seem to be supported)
>
> The limitation of two is artificial, more can actually be supported.
> The firmware has to be updated, though.

Ok, but no matter what the limitation is or whether it can be changed it
should be advertised with the new advertising feature I submitted,
that's what I wanted you to do :)

johannes

2011-05-13 15:17:07

by Johannes Berg

On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 16:44 +0200, Gertjan van Wingerde wrote:

> I seem to have missed the patch that introduces this advertisement of
> valid combinations
> in mac80211. Do you have a pointer towards this patch and/or some of
> the documentation
> for it?
>
> That would make it a lot easier to see if your RFC patch for rt2x00
> actually makes sense ;-)

:-)

I submitted it a little bit earlier, here:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/69917

johannes

2011-05-13 13:42:45

by Johannes Berg

On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 14:44 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:

> The affected drivers, as far as I can tell, are:

I forgot ath9k_htc, which needs to advertise something afaict (two
interfaces seem to be supported)

johannes

2011-05-13 14:30:32

by Sujith

Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 14:44 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
>
> > The affected drivers, as far as I can tell, are:
>
> I forgot ath9k_htc, which needs to advertise something afaict (two
> interfaces seem to be supported)

The limitation of two is artificial, more can actually be supported.
The firmware has to be updated, though.

Sujith

2011-05-13 14:41:52

by Sujith

Johannes Berg wrote:
> Ok, but no matter what the limitation is or whether it can be changed it
> should be advertised with the new advertising feature I submitted,
> that's what I wanted you to do :)

Yep, I got that. :)

Sujith

2011-05-13 14:44:57

by Gertjan van Wingerde

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Johannes Berg
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Please excuse the long CC list. I want to make you aware that I plan to
> remove the WIPHY_FLAG_ENFORCE_COMBINATIONS flag again soon, so that all
> drivers that don't advertise valid combinations will not be able to have
> multiple virtual interfaces.
>
> The affected drivers, as far as I can tell, are:
> ?* ath5k
> ?* ath9k
> ?* carl9170
> ?* hwsim (I'll look at this)
> ?* iwlagn (I'm handling that of course)
> ?* mwl8k
> ?* rt2x00 (see RFC patch)
>
> I'm happy to help out with the restrictions code, please let me know.
>
> I'd like to remove the flag again before it ever goes upstream, but I
> understand the timing is bad, unless we hold my patch out of 2.6.40.
>
> For completeness, I checked all drivers, and the following drivers don't
> support more than a single virtual interface anyway:
> ?* adm8211
> ?* at76c50x-usb -- but it is broken because it has no checks
> ?* b43
> ?* b43legacy
> ?* iwlegacy
> ?* libertas_tf
> ?* p54
> ?* rtl8180
> ?* rtl8187
> ?* rtlwifi
> ?* wl1251
> ?* wl12xx
> ?* zd1211
> (Staging drivers:)
> ?* brcm80211 is broken, allows multiple but can't handle it
> ?* winbond is also broken the same way

I seem to have missed the patch that introduces this advertisement of
valid combinations
in mac80211. Do you have a pointer towards this patch and/or some of
the documentation
for it?

That would make it a lot easier to see if your RFC patch for rt2x00
actually makes sense ;-)

---
Gertjan