2017-10-17 14:17:48

by Larry Finger

Subject: Re: Help with bug "Black screen freeze on suspend to ram (rtl8188ee)"

On 10/17/2017 09:03 AM, Lauro Costa wrote:
> Dear maintainer,
>
> I have opened a bug report on bugzilla [1] regarding this issue I find when I
> attempt to suspend to ram, unfortunately no one has replied to me yet.
>
> I assumed this issue is related to the driver rtl8188ee since the black screen
> doesn't happen when I rmmod the wifi driver, but I'm not sure what I have is
> enough to assume this.
>
> Do you know if this driver rtl8188ee is supposed to support suspend to ram?
>
> This system log message:
>
> |(NULL device *): firmware: direct-loading firmware rtlwifi/rtl8188efw.bin|
>
> is something I haven't seen before, I don't understand why it says (NULL device
> *). Could it mean there is something else wrong and the rtl driver crashes as a
> result of that?
>
> I'm not sure how to further investigate this issue, so any advice you could give
> here or in the bug report would be much appreciated.

Sorry that I missed that bug report. Unfortunately, without the traceback from
the occurrence of the bug, it will be very difficult to find the problem.

If you add a script to unload the module when the machine hibernates or
suspends, and reloads it on startup, you should be able to avoid the lockups.

I will try to duplicate the problem here.

Larry