2008-12-20 07:42:17

by Daniel Wu

Subject: iwlagn and Intel 5300 card mimo3 poor performance?

Hi,

We are running into some unexpected results in performance tests of an
Intel 5300 abgn against a Linksys wrt310n. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Using the debugfs and writing a fixed rate hex into the
rate_scale_table, we tested the throughput (with iperf UDP mode)
between the Intel 5300 card to another wired laptop through the
wrt310n.

As far as we can tell, legacy cck, ofdm and siso performance are fine.
We're running into problems when trying to set up triple streams and
three antennas (mimo3).

We're using these hex rates for mimo3:
0x1C110
0x1C111
0x1C112
0x1C113
0x1C114
0x1C115
0x1C116
0x1C117
For each of the rates, we're getting approximately 160Kbps which is far too low.
These rates also seem to cause a "Invalid HT rate index 236" in dmesg.

At first we thought the 5300 may not be able to do 3 streams at once,
but that's not true, since the device can receive from the AP at much
higher rates (~64.5Mbps)

Also, in iwl-commands.h, there might be a typo on line 258, instead of
bits "3-0", it should be at least bits "6-0"

2008-12-20 13:16:08

by Tomas Winkler

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 9:42 AM, Daniel Wu <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are running into some unexpected results in performance tests of an
> Intel 5300 abgn against a Linksys wrt310n. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Using the debugfs and writing a fixed rate hex into the
> rate_scale_table, we tested the throughput (with iperf UDP mode)
> between the Intel 5300 card to another wired laptop through the
> wrt310n.
>
> As far as we can tell, legacy cck, ofdm and siso performance are fine.
> We're running into problems when trying to set up triple streams and
> three antennas (mimo3).
>
> We're using these hex rates for mimo3:
> 0x1C110
> 0x1C111
> 0x1C112
> 0x1C113
> 0x1C114
> 0x1C115
> 0x1C116
> 0x1C117
> For each of the rates, we're getting approximately 160Kbps which is far too low.
> These rates also seem to cause a "Invalid HT rate index 236" in dmesg.

iwl-agn-rs.c doesn't support actively MIMO3 yet, the algorithm need
to be enhanced in one more dimension.

> At first we thought the 5300 may not be able to do 3 streams at once,
> but that's not true, since the device can receive from the AP at much
> higher rates (~64.5Mbps)

RX is relatively passive element so this should work.

> Also, in iwl-commands.h, there might be a typo on line 258, instead of
> bits "3-0", it should be at least bits "6-0"

Right, You can post directly a patch that fixes this.
Tomas