2009-01-13 07:14:03

by Jason Newton

Subject: 802.11n status (iwlagn)

Hi all,

I've been searching around for a long time now and I find it difficult
to understand what the current status of 802.11n is in linux as a whole
and what it is with respect to iwlagn (4965 chipset specifically). I
want high-speed and reliable wireless :-)

Also, it would seem iwlagn n/ht still isn't working in 2.6.28?

To anyone who can clear all this up for me, I'd be much appreciative.

2009-01-19 12:38:01

by David Shwatrz

Subject: Re: 802.11n status (iwlagn)

Hello,
Two questions regarding this topic:

1)does latest wireless-testing git tree
support 802.11n in 5100AGN-based chips ?

2)Is the TX aggregation problem is also the same and relevant to 5100AGN?

Regards,
DavidS

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 6:39 PM, reinette chatre
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 23:13 -0800, Jason Newton wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've been searching around for a long time now and I find it difficult
>> to understand what the current status of 802.11n is in linux as a whole
>> and what it is with respect to iwlagn (4965 chipset specifically). I
>> want high-speed and reliable wireless :-)
>>
>> Also, it would seem iwlagn n/ht still isn't working in 2.6.28?
>>
>> To anyone who can clear all this up for me, I'd be much appreciative.
>>

> 802.11n does work in 2.6.28 - the speed is not there as changes in the
> kernel caused breakage of TX aggregation. Other functionality of HT was
> not affected. We recently started looking at getting TX aggregation
> working again.
>
> Reinette

by Reinette Chatre

On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 23:13 -0800, Jason Newton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been searching around for a long time now and I find it difficult
> to understand what the current status of 802.11n is in linux as a whole
> and what it is with respect to iwlagn (4965 chipset specifically). I
> want high-speed and reliable wireless :-)
>
> Also, it would seem iwlagn n/ht still isn't working in 2.6.28?
>
> To anyone who can clear all this up for me, I'd be much appreciative.

802.11n does work in 2.6.28 - the speed is not there as changes in the
kernel caused breakage of TX aggregation. Other functionality of HT was
not affected. We recently started looking at getting TX aggregation
working again.

Reinette

2009-01-13 12:01:26

by Jason Newton

> In http://www.linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers, there
> is a table of drivers; some of them do support 802.11n,
> as you can see form the PHY modes column
> (there might be more such drivers, take into account that this table
> might not be always up to date).
>
> Intel iwl4965 is among them; I did not perform any tests with
> 4965-based iwlagn devices with 80211.n though.

So if n (or n-draft) support really is in the 4965 driver already - how
do I access it? It doesn't seem to be happening automatically -
filetransfers/iptraf let me know that much. Very confused about what's
going on here and if I need any iwconfig magic or something like
replacing pfifo with multiq for device qdisc. I haven't a clue.

> - I believe that you are aware that the 80211.n spec is expected
> only at the end of 2009 (December 2009) or later.

Ah, true, but I guess I was also wondering about n draft support since
these devices are available now and have been for quite a while. I can
get 100 mbit/s or so with my 4965 card in windows with intel's drivers
and my asus wl500w router. But only a lousy 54 or so in linux. That
just ain't right.

2009-01-19 13:46:47

by Tomas Winkler

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 2:37 PM, David Shwatrz <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
> Two questions regarding this topic:
>
> 1)does latest wireless-testing git tree
> support 802.11n in 5100AGN-based chips ?
Yes

> 2)Is the TX aggregation problem is also the same and relevant to 5100AGN?
Yes

Tomas

2009-01-13 10:41:40

by Rami Rosen

Hello,
> what the current status of 802.11n is in linux as a whole

In http://www.linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers, there
is a table of drivers; some of them do support 802.11n,
as you can see form the PHY modes column
(there might be more such drivers, take into account that this table
might not be always up to date).

Intel iwl4965 is among them; I did not perform any tests with
4965-based iwlagn devices with 80211.n though.

- I believe that you are aware that the 80211.n spec is expected
only at the end of 2009 (December 2009) or later.

Rgs,
Rami Rosen