2023-03-20 00:12:35

by Larry Finger

Subject: Re: Kernel 6.2.4 and WiFi with BCM4345

On 3/19/23 14:35, Michael Ayers wrote:

> On 20/03/2023 08:24, Michael Ayers wrote:

>>> The first piece of information would be to tell us what what device you have.
>>> The Pinebrook Pro web site says that you have an 802.11ac (Wifi 5) device,
>>> but not who made it. The output of 'lspci -nn' or 'lsusb' would be useful.
>>>
>>> You should also run the command 'sudo dmesg > dmesg.txt', and post dmesg.txt
>>> at pastebin.com, or some similar site. Report the URL back with the ouput of
>>> the two commands above. Do not attach dmesg.txt to your reply. There are
>>> thousands of readers of this list that do not care, thus they should not be
>>> forced to download such stuff.
>>>
>>> Larry
>>>

>> The wifi device would seem to be a Broadcom 4345 and if I've done this right
>> this: https://pastebin.com/rz2wnuVt should be the link to dmesg.txt.
>>
>> MIke
>

> Sorry that is the wrong dmesg link it should be: https://pastebin.com/SE0DV7XP

Mike,

I just noticed that the linux-wireless list was not in the Cc list - I added it.
I also changed the subject to help catch the attention of the Broadcom
maintainers. I am definitely not one of them.

Your device is a BCM4345, which uses the brcmfmac driver. The dmesg output that
you posted shows the firmware loading, but nothing happens beyond that. This is
the point where I would expect the user-space code such as NetworkManager to
take over. What code do you use to control wifi? Did that change when your
kernel was updated?

Larry

2023-03-20 02:46:32

by Michael Ayers

On 20/03/23 13:12, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 3/19/23 14:35, Michael Ayers wrote:

>>> The wifi device would seem to be a Broadcom 4345 and if I've done
>>> this right this: https://pastebin.com/rz2wnuVt should be the link to
>>> dmesg.txt.
>>>
>>> MIke
>>

>> Sorry that is the wrong dmesg link it should be:
>> https://pastebin.com/SE0DV7XP
>
> Mike,
>
> I just noticed that the linux-wireless list was not in the Cc list - I
> added it. I also changed the subject to help catch the attention of
> the Broadcom maintainers. I am definitely not one of them.
>
> Your device is a BCM4345, which uses the brcmfmac driver. The dmesg
> output that you posted shows the firmware loading, but nothing happens
> beyond that. This is the point where I would expect the user-space
> code such as NetworkManager to take over. What code do you use to
> control wifi? Did that change when your kernel was updated?
>
> Larry

Larry,

I'm using NetworkManager but I also tried Wicked with the same results.

NetworkManager tries to connect but fails.

Mike

2023-03-23 21:39:35

by Mourad De Clerck

On 3/20/23 02:41, Michael Ayers wrote:
> On 20/03/23 13:12, Larry Finger wrote:
>> I just noticed that the linux-wireless list was not in the Cc list - I
>> added it. I also changed the subject to help catch the attention of
>> the Broadcom maintainers. I am definitely not one of them.
>>
>> Your device is a BCM4345, which uses the brcmfmac driver. The dmesg
>> output that you posted shows the firmware loading, but nothing happens
>> beyond that. This is the point where I would expect the user-space
>> code such as NetworkManager to take over. What code do you use to
>> control wifi? Did that change when your kernel was updated?
>>
> Larry,
>
> I'm using NetworkManager but I also tried Wicked with the same results.
>
> NetworkManager tries to connect but fails.

Hi,

I think I may be hitting the same bug. I have this device:

02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries
BCM4350 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter [14e4:43a3] (rev 05)

This is a 2017 MacBookPro14,1.

NetworkManager fails to connect when booting Linux v6.2.5, but seems to
have no problems with v6.2.1.

-- Mourad