2008-02-04 19:32:58

by Thomas Ilnseher

Subject: b43 doesn't reset hardware when loaded/unloaded [severity: minor]

Hi!

I upgraded my kernel to 2.6.24, and
so I also upgraded from bcm43xx to b43.

There used to be a problem with bcm43xx that after
resuming from Supend-To-Ram, wireless didn't work anymore.

This however could be fixed with bcm43xx using the following
sequence:

killall dhcpcd
killall wpa_supplicant
ifconfig wlan0 down #nb: the if was renamed from eth1 to wlan0 via udev
rmmod bcm43xx
modprobe bcm43xx
ifconfig wlan0 up
wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -Dwext -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf\
-B -P/var/run/wpa_supplicant.pid
dhcpcd wlan0

It doesn't work with b43. (of course replacing bcm43xx with b43).
I *assume* that the core isn't completely reseted on insmod'ing.

regards,
tom

PS: keep the good work!
also, tux-on-ice works, so this is just a minor annoyance.

--
Thomas Ilnseher <[email protected]>

2008-02-04 20:56:15

by Stefano Brivio

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 20:32:55 +0100
Thomas Ilnseher <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I upgraded my kernel to 2.6.24, and
> so I also upgraded from bcm43xx to b43.
>
> There used to be a problem with bcm43xx that after
> resuming from Supend-To-Ram, wireless didn't work anymore.

[...]

> It doesn't work with b43. (of course replacing bcm43xx with b43).
> I *assume* that the core isn't completely reseted on insmod'ing.

This should be fixed in 2.6.24.1. A patch is available in the wireless-2.6
tree.

--
Ciao
Stefano

2008-02-04 20:12:29

by Michael Büsch

On Monday 04 February 2008 20:32:55 Thomas Ilnseher wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I upgraded my kernel to 2.6.24, and
> so I also upgraded from bcm43xx to b43.
>
> There used to be a problem with bcm43xx that after
> resuming from Supend-To-Ram, wireless didn't work anymore.

Fixed in wireless-2.6 and will be fixed in the upcoming 2.6.24.1.

--
Greetings Michael.