2008-03-12 21:35:19

by Anders Eriksson

Subject: bulk vs. interactive bandwidth

Hi,

I have an issue which I can't really narrow down and it might be wlan related.
It occurs both from a couple of PCs sharing a rt2500 to the internet, and a
iwl3945 (no sharing) to the net.

The thing is that, normal sufing works ok. But, whenever there is a big
download going on (say grabbing a kernel tarball), the interactive performace
drops to pretty much nothing. Getting a prompt from ssh can take close to a
minute. I'm thinking tha, tperhaps, there is someting buffer related which makes
the wlan buffers "deeper than normal" and thus makes it hard for the
interactive tcp's to crate room for themselves in the transmission queues or
somehting.

I can't recall seeing this phenomenon over a wired connection (with roughly
the same link bandwidths.)

Dows this sound at all familiar? If so, what's the cure? (I'd rather not go
into traffic shaping...)

/Anders

2008-03-13 16:21:58

by Reinette Chatre

Subject: RE: bulk vs. interactive bandwidth

On , Anders Eriksson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an issue which I can't really narrow down and it might
> be wlan related.
> It occurs both from a couple of PCs sharing a rt2500 to the internet,
> and a iwl3945 (no sharing) to the net.
>
> The thing is that, normal sufing works ok. But, whenever there
> is a big
> download going on (say grabbing a kernel tarball), the
> interactive performace
> drops to pretty much nothing. Getting a prompt from ssh can
> take close to a
> minute. I'm thinking tha, tperhaps, there is someting buffer related
> which makes the wlan buffers "deeper than normal" and thus makes it
> hard for the interactive tcp's to crate room for themselves in the
> transmission queues or
> somehting.
>
> I can't recall seeing this phenomenon over a wired connection (with
> roughly the same link bandwidths.)
>
> Dows this sound at all familiar? If so, what's the cure? (I'd rather
> not go into traffic shaping...)

Which version of the iwl3945 driver are you using? The iwl3945 recently
received some patches to fix its rate scaling ... see
http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=120485409525437&w=2. Can you test
the latest iwl3945 driver from wireless-testing?

Thanks

Reinette