2008-05-21 09:35:10

by Henning Rogge

Subject: Get adhoc signal strength and bandwith from userspace

Hello,

I'm looking for an easy way to get average signal strength and bandwith=
for=20
each communication partner in adhoc mode. I know this could be done wit=
h=20
radiotap headers, but this would require to parse all incoming frames, =
which=20
can consume lot's of cputime on embedded devices.

Is there a userspace interface to get the bandwith and average signal s=
trength=20
of the communication partners in the 802.11 layer ?

Henning Rogge

Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge
=46orschungsgesellschaft f=FCr
Angewandte Naturwissenschaften e. V. (FGAN)=20
Neuenahrer Str. 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany
Tel.: 0049 (0)228 9435-961
=46ax: 0049 (0)228 9435-685
E-Mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.fgan.de
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Bonn
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Bonn VR 2530
Vorstand: Dr. rer. nat. Ralf Dornhaus (Vors.), Prof. Dr. Joachim Ender=20
(Stellv.)

2008-05-21 10:13:06

by Bruno Randolf

On Wednesday 21 May 2008 11:06:42 Henning Rogge wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for an easy way to get average signal strength and bandwith for
> each communication partner in adhoc mode. I know this could be done with
> radiotap headers, but this would require to parse all incoming frames,
> which can consume lot's of cputime on embedded devices.
>
> Is there a userspace interface to get the bandwith and average signal
> strength of the communication partners in the 802.11 layer ?

i don't think that exists yet, but i'm interrested in something like that too,
and i guess most people involvend in mesh networking protocols and metrics.

however i think "average signal quality" and "thruput" is a bit much to ask
for (average over which period of time? weighted average? moving average?) -
how about signal/noise of the last packet, physical rate and bytes in/out
instead? you can average and calculate bandwidth in userspace.

now a question to the mac80211 maintainers: would that be something to be
implemented with nl80211?

bruno

2008-05-21 10:23:55

by Henning Rogge

Am Mittwoch 21 Mai 2008 12:13:01 schrieben Sie:
> On Wednesday 21 May 2008 11:06:42 Henning Rogge wrote:
> i don't think that exists yet, but i'm interrested in something like =
that
> too, and i guess most people involvend in mesh networking protocols a=
nd
> metrics.
Exactly... a generic interface to this values would be great.

> however i think "average signal quality" and "thruput" is a bit much =
to ask
> for (average over which period of time? weighted average? moving aver=
age?)
> - how about signal/noise of the last packet, physical rate and bytes =
in/out
> instead? you can average and calculate bandwidth in userspace.
At least the bandwith should be directly available from the bandwith=20
algorithm. Signal strength might be a little bit more tricky, but a=20
value "average signal strength within the last 100 ms/1s" would be much=
=20
easier to use than to parse a value for each incoming package.

Henning