2008-12-24 20:25:16

by Delphi Real Estate

Subject: 4965AGN Not Associating

I was running the iwl4965 git driver successfully from 6 June up until two days ago, when I decided to be a smart-aleck and try to get 802.11n working. After two 12 hour days of struggle, I now have no wifi.

Running Kubuntu Hardy and typically compile a custom kernel. First I downloaded and compiled compat-wireless-old.tar.bz2 and compiled it to my kernel 2.6.24. Driver loaded fine and the wlan0 interface came up, but would no longer associate as the old driver did. Rebooted, but a second or so after the blue wireless light came on, the kernel crashed with an Aieeee! No way to see exactly where or why, as it'd scrolled off the screen and there's nothing in the logs.

So I tried just compiling kernels 2.6.27 and .28 to test their iwlagn functionality, but unfortunately no version of .27 or .28 will compile on my laptop. .27 does compile on my HTPC, but not where it counts:
OFFSETS arch/x86/boot/offsets.h
OBJCOPY arch/x86/boot/vmlinux.bin
AS arch/x86/boot/header.o
LD arch/x86/boot/setup.elf
OBJCOPY arch/x86/boot/setup.bin
BUILD arch/x86/boot/bzImage
Root device is (8, 1)
Setup is 11916 bytes (padded to 12288 bytes).
System is 2904 kB
CRC 30db084d
Kernel: arch/x86/boot/bzImage is ready (#1)
ERROR: "snd_hwdep_new" [ubuntu/misc/media/snd-bt-sco.ko] undefined!
WARNING: modpost: Found 4 section mismatch(es).
To see full details build your kernel with:
'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y'
make[1]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
make: *** [modules] Error 2
#

So I gave up on a new kernel and compiled 2.6.22, booted, and compiled compat-wireless-old.tar.bz2 to it, which went fine. I even get a blue light for the radio switch now. But it will not associate. I am using the exact same interfaces file as before. I tried network manager, but it doesn't even recognize this as a wireless device.

# iwconfig
wlan0 IEEE 802.11abgn ESSID:"Hex"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=14 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

# iwpriv
wlan0 no private ioctls.

# iwpriv wlan0 network_type g
wlan0 no private ioctls.

# iwlist wlan0 auth
wlan0 Authentication capabilities :
WPA
WPA2
CIPHER-TKIP
CIPHER-CCMP
Current Authentication algorithm :
open

So for some reason it is not recognizing my WPA commands in /etc/network/interfaces (which worked before). Or maybe it's in 'n' or 'a' mode, rather than g. I've searched everywhere and can not find how to set it to g mode now that it has no private ioctls.

/etc/network/interfaces:
iface wlan0 inet static
pre-up /sbin/iwpriv wlan0 network_type g
pre-up ip link set wlan0 up
address 192.168.1.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.5
wireless-essid Hex
wpa-scan-ssid 0
wpa-ap-scan 1
wpa-ssid Hex
wpa-psk Freeasinfreedom

2008-12-25 00:55:23

by Zhu Yi

Subject: Re: 4965AGN Not Associating

On Thu, 2008-12-25 at 03:58 +0800, Delphi Real Estate wrote:
> Running Kubuntu Hardy and typically compile a custom kernel. First I
> downloaded and compiled compat-wireless-old.tar.bz2 and compiled it to
> my kernel 2.6.24. Driver loaded fine and the wlan0 interface came up,
> but would no longer associate as the old driver did. Rebooted, but a
> second or so after the blue wireless light came on, the kernel crashed
> with an Aieeee! No way to see exactly where or why, as it'd scrolled
> off the screen and there's nothing in the logs.

You can either use fb to make your console show more lines and take a
picture for it or use netconsole to capture the log.

> So I tried just compiling kernels 2.6.27 and .28 to test their iwlagn
> functionality, but unfortunately no version of .27 or .28 will compile
> on my laptop. .27 does compile on my HTPC, but not where it counts:
> OFFSETS arch/x86/boot/offsets.h
> OBJCOPY arch/x86/boot/vmlinux.bin
> AS arch/x86/boot/header.o
> LD arch/x86/boot/setup.elf
> OBJCOPY arch/x86/boot/setup.bin
> BUILD arch/x86/boot/bzImage
> Root device is (8, 1)
> Setup is 11916 bytes (padded to 12288 bytes).
> System is 2904 kB
> CRC 30db084d
> Kernel: arch/x86/boot/bzImage is ready (#1)
> ERROR: "snd_hwdep_new" [ubuntu/misc/media/snd-bt-sco.ko] undefined!
> WARNING: modpost: Found 4 section mismatch(es).
> To see full details build your kernel with:
> 'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y'
> make[1]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
> make: *** [modules] Error 2

CONFIG_SND_HWDEP?

Also make sure you get the correct firmware.

Thanks,
-yi

2008-12-25 20:00:27

by Delphi Real Estate

On Wednesday 24 December 2008 16:56:51 Zhu Yi wrote:
> CONFIG_SND_HWDEP?

Actually, it turned out to need snd-emu10k1 enabled, amazingly. Then it compiled fine, but crashed on boot when it was time to pivot to /dev/sda1. Found the problem was the disk controller driver needed to be compiled in, not a module.

So I now have kernel 2.6.27-11.22 running and the nice little blue wifi light which I'd never had before, and it twinkles, apparently with network access. iwconfig, and indeed it is associated as it should be, showing 54Mb/s. No need for the external driver compile.

All right, so the kernel iwl modules are working with this kernel, good enough for me... although iwconfig shows, "Encryption key:AM32-52G0-50D6-130B-6AF0-201D-9450-H978 [2] Security mode:open".

'Open'? Homey don't think so. The AP us set to WPA AES. Why would it say it's open?

Also, I want to switch to 802.11a for streaming media, so I'm not polluting everyone else's bandwidth. How do I set this card to 'a' or 'n'? Is there any way to set it to dual-band for the new routers which send normal traffic on 'g' and stream on 'a'? How do I set it to WPA2?

IOW, how do I control this card? Instructions are nowhere to be found.

Currently my /etc/network/interfaces file is set thus and works (Network Manager is uninstalled and I don't trust it):
iface wlan0 inet static
pre-up /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 txpower 5
pre-up ip link set wlan0 up
address 192.168.1.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.5
wireless-essid Hex
wpa-scan-ssid 0
wpa-ap-scan 1
wpa-ssid Hex
wpa-psk Freeasinfreedom

2008-12-25 00:51:03

by techmin

Delphi Real Estate ha scritto:
> I was running the iwl4965 git driver successfully from 6 June up until two days ago, when I decided to be a smart-aleck and try to get 802.11n working. After two 12 hour days of struggle, I now have no wifi.
>

> cut...
Yes,
same problem with b and g connection.
Disassociating by local choice.
I have already sended mail with all info to this list.