2009-01-13 23:28:43

by Delphi Real Estate

Subject: 'N' Mode and 5GHz, Also WPA2

Running the Intel 4965AGP with iwlagn driver that comes in Ubuntu kernel 2.6.27.10, and DLink DIR-825 dual-mode router.

Despite extensive effort and research I have been unable to associate in 'n' mode at 5GHz. I can associate and communicate in 'g' and 'n' mode at 2.4GHz, and in 'a' mode at 5GHz, but it simply does not work in 'n' at 5. Has anyone been able to make this work?

Does anyone know what chipset is in the DIR-825? Should I crack it open?

Also I am unable to associate in any mode in any band, with WPA2. Has anyone got WPA2 working with the iwlagn driver?

Best,

Bill

2009-01-14 00:11:06

by Delphi Real Estate

Subject: Re: 'N' Mode and 5GHz, Also WPA2

On Tuesday 13 January 2009 15:34:47 you wrote:
> Try checking its FCC ID on the Equipment Authorization page. It has
> internal photos.

Thanks, it's here:
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=979202&native_or_pdf=pdf
... looks like an Atheros. Not sure which one is 5GHz tho... and I'm not sure how compatible this is with Intel's 4965AGN at 5GHz.

> > Also I am unable to associate in any mode in any band, with WPA2. Has anyone got WPA2 working with the iwlagn driver?
>
> Are you running the latest wpa_supplicant?

The latest one that comes with updated Hardy, 0.6.0+0.5.8-0ubuntu2. And I'm running an Intrepid kernel on Hardy, so I could get this newer iwlagn driver.

On Tuesday 13 January 2009 15:39:20 you wrote:
> Hi Bill. I use WPA2 with the iwlagn driver on a daily basis, though
> I've never used it for 5GHz. If you are using the stock Ubuntu kernel
> and are having trouble with WPA2 I really suggest using Ubuntu's
> support resources and/or filing a bug there, the linux wireless
> mailing list is probably not the right place. If you are building the
> wireless-testing kernel and wish to discuss your results, this
> probably is the right place if you are very specific about your
> configuration and post useful logs.

Thanks for being kind. I've switched to 5GHz exclusively because I stream H.264 using MythTV, and I don't want to pollute the 2.4GHz airwaves for my neighbors. (Also it prevents interference when I'm microwaving dinner, and gives more bandwidth <g>) But for now I'm limited to 802.11a because 'n' will not associate.

And WPA2 will not associate under any circumstances for me with the combo 4965AGN and DIR-825. What's your combo Andrey?

2009-01-14 22:29:11

by Reinette Chatre

On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 09:21 -0800, Delphi Real Estate wrote:
> Anyone have any idea why 'n' for 5GHz and WPA2 are not working?

Could you please send some debug logs of the association attempts
(driver and wpa_supplicant) for us to look at? When you do, please
consider filing a bug at http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/bugzilla/ to
help us keep track of it.

Thanks

Reinette

2009-01-14 18:21:24

by Delphi Real Estate

On Wednesday 14 January 2009 2:31:14 pm you wrote:
> Could you please send some debug logs of the association attempts
> (driver and wpa_supplicant) for us to look at? When you do, please
> consider filing a bug at http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/bugzilla/ to
> help us keep track of it.

I am not an expert, and the best way I know of evidencing the failure is
ifdown wlan0 && ifconfig wlan0 down
Kill any existing processes: ps aux |grep wpa
# wpa_supplicant -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -iwlan0 -d

Is this the best way?

ifup --verbose and /var/log/wpa_action.log don't seem like alot of use for this.

Best,

Bill

/etc/network/interfaces:
iface wlan0 inet manual
# Linux drivers are moving to use generic wireless extensions
wpa-driver wext
# The file which contains roaming information.
# We are not really concerned about roaming, but
# this file contains all of our preferred networks
# to which wpa_supplicant will connect automatically.
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

# "home" is a keyword which is used in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
# to tie this entry and a network definition in wpa_supplicant.conf
iface home inet static
address 192.168.1.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.5

# Reconfigure firewall after interface has been created
# post-up /etc/init.d/shorewall restart

iface Opensystem inet dhcp

/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
update_config=0

# Cloaked Accesspoint
ap_scan=1

# This is our primary (home) network
network={
# Accesspoint's SSID (cloaked)
ssid="Hex"
scan_ssid=1
# id_str refers to the entry in /etc/network/interfaces
id_str="home"
# Generate key: wpa_passphrase <your_essid> <your_ascii_key>
psk="Freeasinbeer"
# Protocol, keymanagement and ciphers. Must match those that the
# accesspoint uses
proto=WPA
# WPA-PSK=="WPA-Personal"
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
# Give this network the highest priority
priority=100
}

network={
ssid="any"
scan_ssid=1
id_str="Opensystem"
key_mgmt=NONE
priority=99
}

2009-01-13 23:34:49

by Gábor Stefanik

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:02 AM, Delphi Real Estate
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Running the Intel 4965AGP with iwlagn driver that comes in Ubuntu kernel 2.6.27.10, and DLink DIR-825 dual-mode router.
>
> Despite extensive effort and research I have been unable to associate in 'n' mode at 5GHz. I can associate and communicate in 'g' and 'n' mode at 2.4GHz, and in 'a' mode at 5GHz, but it simply does not work in 'n' at 5. Has anyone been able to make this work?
>
> Does anyone know what chipset is in the DIR-825? Should I crack it open?

Try checking its FCC ID on the Equipment Authorization page. It has
internal photos.

> Also I am unable to associate in any mode in any band, with WPA2. Has anyone got WPA2 working with the iwlagn driver?

Are you running the latest wpa_supplicant?

> Best,
>
> Bill

Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)

2009-01-14 23:55:25

by Reinette Chatre

On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 15:01 -0800, Delphi Real Estate wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 January 2009 2:31:14 pm you wrote:
> > Could you please send some debug logs of the association attempts
> > (driver and wpa_supplicant) for us to look at? When you do, please
> > consider filing a bug at http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/bugzilla/ to
> > help us keep track of it.
>
> I am not an expert, and the best way I know of evidencing the failure is
> ifdown wlan0 && ifconfig wlan0 down
> Kill any existing processes: ps aux |grep wpa
> # wpa_supplicant -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -iwlan0 -d
>
> Is this the best way?

Please run wpa_supplicant with "-dd" for increased debugging. It may be
easier to do this manually. You can run "dmesg" to see the driver logs.
You can load the driver with "modprobe iwlagn debug=0x43fff" for
increased debugging.

Reinette