2009-01-19 17:38:19

by Delphi Real Estate

Subject: Kernel Compile Fail with 2.6.26 Drivers

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I know that 'n' has problems in later drivers than in kernel 2.6.26, so I am trying to graft the 2.6.26 drivers into the 2.6.27 kernel. Source:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/iwlwifi/iwlwifi-2.6.git;a=summary

I moved the regular Ubuntu kernel 2.6.27.10's iwlwifi directory elsewhere, and copied in Reinette's. But it will not compile, inexplicably:
CC [M] drivers/pci/hotplug/cpcihp_generic.o
LD [M] drivers/pci/hotplug/pciehp.o
LD [M] drivers/pci/hotplug/shpchp.o
CC [M] drivers/pci/hotplug/fakephp.o
LD drivers/pci/hotplug/pci_hotplug.o
LD [M] drivers/media/video/uvc/uvcvideo.o
LD [M] drivers/pci/hotplug/acpiphp.o
LD drivers/pci/hotplug/built-in.o
LD drivers/media/built-in.o
LD drivers/pci/built-in.o
make: *** [drivers] Error 2
#

This kernel does compile with its normal iwlwifi directory. In configuring I only set the iwlwifi driver to be a module, disabled the 4965, and enabled the 5000. I can't use the git kernel because I need the Ubuntu patches.

Is there any other way to get 5GHz 'n'?

2009-01-23 16:51:13

by Reinette Chatre

Subject: Re: Kernel Compile Fail with 2.6.26 Drivers

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 05:50 -0800, Delphi Real Estate wrote:
> It seems that either no one has 'n' working at 5GHz, or are not willing to advise. All I need is a combination that works; I've tried 2.6's iwlwifi in 2.6.27 and it won't compile, and it seems that 2.6.28's iwlwifi doesn't work in 'n'. I've run Debian for eleven years and have always compiled my own custom kernels, but would very much like to get 'n' working. Scripting is no problem, although I am not an actual coder. I wish someone could pitch in briefly.

As a summary of our discussion so far:

80211n currently works, except that you will get slower speeds because
TX aggregation is not working.

If you want TX aggregation support then you can use the iwl5000 branch
of the iwlwifi-2.6 repo on git.kernel.org, which is based on kernel
2.6.26.

We are working on getting TX aggregation working again.

Reinette

2009-01-20 19:29:40

by Delphi Real Estate

Trying to get 5GHz 'n' working, but I just do not understand the advice I'm getting. (below) I am told that TX aggregation support is not expected to be fixed until around 2.6.30.

Goal is to be able to get some version of the iwlagn drivers that will do 'n' mode at 5GHz, which will compile in my Ubuntu 2.6.27 kernel. I tried just grafting in the 2.6.26 iwlwifi directory into my 2.6.27 source tree, but compile fails without explanation.

Can anyone help?

> If you want the driver with TX aggregation support then you need to use
> the iwl5000 branch
> ( http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/iwlwifi/iwlwifi-2.6.git;a=shortlog;h=iwl5000 )

I guess I don't understand this. I hit the first entry's 'snapshot', and I get a blank screen. I click on the heading:
"iwlwifi: fix incorrect monitor mode operation iwl5000"
... and it takes me to the explanation of the bugfix, but navigating to iwl-agn.c or iwl3945-base.c via tree, snapshot or blob just gives me an HTML representation of the files. There doesn't seem to be any way to get the actual source. Why do they prevent you from getting just individual files with this system?

> The branch is based on kernel 2.6.26. If you do not want to give up your
> current kernel you can take a look how compat-wireless works ... but it
> is actually intended to take the most recent wireless-testing to work
> with your current kernel, not an older kernel in itself as what can be
> found in the iwl5000 branch.

I don't mind running the most recent kernel, as long as it works and has Ubuntu patches. I don't see how to get there from here though. I am a commercial real estate broker, after all, not a coder.

> Try diffing the Ubuntu sources against the kernel.org sources, and
> merge the resulting diff into the git tree.

LOL, thanks, but I am a commercial real estate broker, and have about as much chance of doing this as passing a calculus class.

Just trying to get 'n' at 5GHz, so I don't pollute my neighbors' wifi with my MythTV streaming. I am lucky to have working what I do...

2009-01-19 21:48:10

by Gábor Stefanik

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 6:30 PM, Delphi Real Estate
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I know that 'n' has problems in later drivers than in kernel 2.6.26, so I am trying to graft the 2.6.26 drivers into the 2.6.27 kernel. Source:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/iwlwifi/iwlwifi-2.6.git;a=summary
>
> I moved the regular Ubuntu kernel 2.6.27.10's iwlwifi directory elsewhere, and copied in Reinette's. But it will not compile, inexplicably:
> CC [M] drivers/pci/hotplug/cpcihp_generic.o
> LD [M] drivers/pci/hotplug/pciehp.o
> LD [M] drivers/pci/hotplug/shpchp.o
> CC [M] drivers/pci/hotplug/fakephp.o
> LD drivers/pci/hotplug/pci_hotplug.o
> LD [M] drivers/media/video/uvc/uvcvideo.o
> LD [M] drivers/pci/hotplug/acpiphp.o
> LD drivers/pci/hotplug/built-in.o
> LD drivers/media/built-in.o
> LD drivers/pci/built-in.o
> make: *** [drivers] Error 2
> #
>
> This kernel does compile with its normal iwlwifi directory. In configuring I only set the iwlwifi driver to be a module, disabled the 4965, and enabled the 5000. I can't use the git kernel because I need the Ubuntu patches.

Try diffing the Ubuntu sources against the kernel.org sources, and
merge the resulting diff into the git tree.

> Is there any other way to get 5GHz 'n'?

Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)

2009-01-19 18:43:53

by Reinette Chatre

On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 09:30 -0800, Delphi Real Estate wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I know that 'n' has problems in later drivers than in kernel 2.6.26, so I am trying to graft the 2.6.26 drivers into the 2.6.27 kernel. Source:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/iwlwifi/iwlwifi-2.6.git;a=summary

If you want the driver with TX aggregation support then you need to use
the iwl5000 branch
( http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/iwlwifi/iwlwifi-2.6.git;a=shortlog;h=iwl5000 )

> I moved the regular Ubuntu kernel 2.6.27.10's iwlwifi directory elsewhere, and copied in Reinette's. But it will not compile, inexplicably:

The branch is based on kernel 2.6.26. If you do not want to give up your
current kernel you can take a look how compat-wireless works ... but it
is actually intended to take the most recent wireless-testing to work
with your current kernel, not an older kernel in itself as what can be
found in the iwl5000 branch.

I think the easiest will be to use the iwl5000 branch on its own.

Reinette

2009-01-21 16:54:10

by Delphi Real Estate

Has anyone got 'n' working in iwlwifi at 5GHz and kernel =>2.6.27? If so, can you please tell me how?

On Tuesday 20 January 2009 9:42:57 you wrote:

> Trying to get 5GHz 'n' working, but I just do not understand the advice I'm getting. (below) I am told that TX aggregation support is not expected to be fixed until around 2.6.30.
>
> Goal is to be able to get some version of the iwlagn drivers that will do 'n' mode at 5GHz, which will compile in my Ubuntu 2.6.27 kernel. I tried just grafting in the 2.6.26 iwlwifi directory into my 2.6.27 source tree, but compile fails without explanation.
>
> Can anyone help?
>

> > If you want the driver with TX aggregation support then you need to use
> > the iwl5000 branch
> > ( http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/iwlwifi/iwlwifi-2.6.git;a=shortlog;h=iwl5000 )
>
> I guess I don't understand this. I hit the first entry's 'snapshot', and I get a blank screen. I click on the heading:
> "iwlwifi: fix incorrect monitor mode operation iwl5000"
> ... and it takes me to the explanation of the bugfix, but navigating to iwl-agn.c or iwl3945-base.c via tree, snapshot or blob just gives me an HTML representation of the files. There doesn't seem to be any way to get the actual source. Why do they prevent you from getting just individual files with this system?
>

> > The branch is based on kernel 2.6.26. If you do not want to give up your
> > current kernel you can take a look how compat-wireless works ... but it
> > is actually intended to take the most recent wireless-testing to work
> > with your current kernel, not an older kernel in itself as what can be
> > found in the iwl5000 branch.
>
> I don't mind running the most recent kernel, as long as it works and has Ubuntu patches. I don't see how to get there from here though. I am a commercial real estate broker, after all, not a coder.
>

> > Try diffing the Ubuntu sources against the kernel.org sources, and
> > merge the resulting diff into the git tree.
>
> LOL, thanks, but I am a commercial real estate broker, and have about as much chance of doing this as passing a calculus class.
>
> Just trying to get 'n' at 5GHz, so I don't pollute my neighbors' wifi with my MythTV streaming. I am lucky to have working what I do...

2009-01-22 14:24:47

by Delphi Real Estate

On Tuesday 20 January 2009 9:42:57 Delphi Real Estate wrote:

> Trying to get 5GHz 'n' working, but I just do not understand the advice I'm getting. (below) I am told that TX aggregation support is not expected to be fixed until around 2.6.30.
>
> Goal is to be able to get some version of the iwlagn drivers that will do 'n' mode at 5GHz, which will compile in my Ubuntu 2.6.27 kernel. I tried just grafting in the 2.6.26 iwlwifi directory into my 2.6.27 source tree, but compile fails without explanation.
>
> Can anyone help?
>

> > If you want the driver with TX aggregation support then you need to use
> > the iwl5000 branch
> > ( http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/iwlwifi/iwlwifi-2.6.git;a=shortlog;h=iwl5000 )
>
> I guess I don't understand this. I hit the first entry's 'snapshot', and I get a blank screen. I click on the heading:
> "iwlwifi: fix incorrect monitor mode operation iwl5000"
> ... and it takes me to the explanation of the bugfix, but navigating to iwl-agn.c or iwl3945-base.c via tree, snapshot or blob just gives me an HTML representation of the files. There doesn't seem to be any way to get the actual source. Why do they prevent you from getting just individual files with this system?
>

> > The branch is based on kernel 2.6.26. If you do not want to give up your
> > current kernel you can take a look how compat-wireless works ... but it
> > is actually intended to take the most recent wireless-testing to work
> > with your current kernel, not an older kernel in itself as what can be
> > found in the iwl5000 branch.
>
> I don't mind running the most recent kernel, as long as it works and has Ubuntu patches. I don't see how to get there from here though. I am a commercial real estate broker, after all, not a coder.
>

> > Try diffing the Ubuntu sources against the kernel.org sources, and
> > merge the resulting diff into the git tree.
>
> LOL, thanks, but I am a commercial real estate broker, and have about as much chance of doing this as passing a calculus class.
>
> Just trying to get 'n' at 5GHz, so I don't pollute my neighbors' wifi with my MythTV streaming. I am lucky to have working what I do...

2009-01-22 15:17:54

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 05:58:04AM -0800, Delphi Real Estate wrote:

> It seems that either no one has 'n' working at 5GHz

As for Atheros stuff you can use ath9k or otus for 11n 5 GHz. I believe
iwlagn should work but aggregation is not enabled as it still needs
to be fixed.

Luis

2009-01-24 02:17:13

by Delphi Real Estate

Haven't lost track of what we've discussed.

I am unable to make the iwlwifi branch compile in kernel 2.6.27 or .28 with Ubuntu patches. It simply will not compile. I am just looking for a way to make this work.

With the iwlwifi driver that comes with kernel Ubuntu 2.6.27.10 I can not associate in 'n' at 5.2GHz with the 4965AGN and DLink DIR-825. Will not associate. But does in 'a' and works fairly well.

On Friday 23 January 2009 8:53:49 you wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 05:50 -0800, Delphi Real Estate wrote:
> > It seems that either no one has 'n' working at 5GHz, or are not willing to advise. All I need is a combination that works; I've tried 2.6's iwlwifi in 2.6.27 and it won't compile, and it seems that 2.6.28's iwlwifi doesn't work in 'n'. I've run Debian for eleven years and have always compiled my own custom kernels, but would very much like to get 'n' working. Scripting is no problem, although I am not an actual coder. I wish someone could pitch in briefly.
>
> As a summary of our discussion so far:
>
> 80211n currently works, except that you will get slower speeds because
> TX aggregation is not working.
>
> If you want TX aggregation support then you can use the iwl5000 branch
> of the iwlwifi-2.6 repo on git.kernel.org, which is based on kernel
> 2.6.26.
>
> We are working on getting TX aggregation working again.
>
> Reinette

2009-01-23 13:57:08

by Delphi Real Estate