2009-03-19 17:32:18

by Forest Bond

Subject: VT6656 driver source now GPL

Hi,

VIA has released a new version of the VT6656 driver source, and it now has a
proper license!

http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/VT6656_Linux_src_v1.19_12_x86.zip

As you may recall, the previous version lacked a license altogether, making it
unfit for distribution.

I'd really like to see this driver integrated into the kernel. Does anyone care
to comment regarding feasibility?

Thanks,
Forest
--
Forest Bond
http://www.alittletooquiet.net

Attachments:
(No filename) (473.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Forest Bond

Subject: Re: VT6656 driver source now GPL

Hi Luis,

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 09:45:19AM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Forest Bond <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > VIA has released a new version of the VT6656 driver source, and it now has a
> > proper license!
> >
> > ?http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/VT6656_Linux_src_v1.19_12_x86.zip
> >
> > As you may recall, the previous version lacked a license altogether, making it
> > unfit for distribution.
> >
> > I'd really like to see this driver integrated into the kernel. ?Does anyone care
> > to comment regarding feasibility?
>
> Indeed good news, what is the latest kernel it compiles for? If it
> compiles on Linus' tree it can be stashed into staging while it gets
> properly ported.

Just so I know who to pester*, will you be driving this? Do you have interest
in also pulling in the VT6655 driver?

* I won't pester that much. ;)

Thanks,
Forest
--
Forest Bond
http://www.alittletooquiet.net
http://www.pytagsfs.org

Attachments:
(No filename) (988.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Forest Bond

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:42:56PM -0400, Forest Bond wrote:
> VIA has released a new version of the VT6656 driver source, and it now has a
> proper license!
>
> http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/VT6656_Linux_src_v1.19_12_x86.zip

The good news doesn't end there. VIA has released a GPL-licensed version of the
VT6655 driver as well:

http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/vt6655_linux_src_v1.19.12_x86.zip

Thanks,
Forest
--
Forest Bond
http://www.alittletooquiet.net
http://www.pytagsfs.org

Attachments:
(No filename) (495.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Forest Bond

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 09:45:19AM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Forest Bond <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > VIA has released a new version of the VT6656 driver source, and it now has a
> > proper license!
> >
> > ?http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/VT6656_Linux_src_v1.19_12_x86.zip
> >
> > As you may recall, the previous version lacked a license altogether, making it
> > unfit for distribution.
> >
> > I'd really like to see this driver integrated into the kernel. ?Does anyone care
> > to comment regarding feasibility?
>
> Indeed good news, what is the latest kernel it compiles for? If it
> compiles on Linus' tree it can be stashed into staging while it gets
> properly ported.

I've not compiled it myself, yet.

However, according to a report here, it compiles with Ubuntu 9.04 (2.6.28.11):

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/162671

Thanks,
Forest
--
Forest Bond
http://www.alittletooquiet.net
http://www.pytagsfs.org

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.00 kB)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Luis R. Rodriguez

t> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> VIA has released a new version of the VT6656 driver source, and it no=
w has a
> proper license!
>
> =C2=A0http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/VT6656_Linux_src_v1.19_12_x86.zi=
>
> As you may recall, the previous version lacked a license altogether, =
making it
> unfit for distribution.
>
> I'd really like to see this driver integrated into the kernel. =C2=A0=
Does anyone care
> to comment regarding feasibility?

Indeed good news, what is the latest kernel it compiles for? If it
compiles on Linus' tree it can be stashed into staging while it gets
properly ported.

Luis

2009-04-14 02:21:28

by Forest Bond

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 07:11:19PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 08:04:53PM -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
> > Forest Bond wrote:
> > >
> > > Great, this is enough to get started, at least. I assume that the quality bar
> > > is low for code in drivers/staging. Low quality work is a trademark of mine, so
> > > I should be able to tackle this. ;)
> > >
> > > Is there any reason I ought to think that it would be easier to get this
> > > accepted in linux-staging than drivers/staging? I'll admit that I feel better
> > > about the layout of drivers/staging than I do about the quilt stuff in
> > > linux-staging.
> >
> > GregKH has said that he will take it from here. I think that means that he will
> > add it to drivers/staging and get it to build.
>
> Yes I will. Can someone send me a patch?

I will get you one patch for each driver adding the driver source under
drivers/staging on linux-2.6. If that doesn't sound right, let me know.
Otherwise, expect to hear from me in a day or two.

Thanks,
Forest
--
Forest Bond
http://www.alittletooquiet.net
http://www.pytagsfs.org

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.08 kB)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Greg KH

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 08:22:46PM -0400, Forest Bond wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 05:12:02PM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Forest Bond <forest@alittletooquie=
t.net> wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > I'm getting the sense that there is not a lot of developer intere=
st in these
> > > drivers. =A0Is there anything I can do to aid in getting these dr=
ivers into the
> > > kernel?
> > >
> > > I would be willing to send patches, however, my experience with k=
ernel hacking
> > > is limited and I don't have a lot of time available to contribute=
=2E =A0With a
> > > little direction, though, I might be able to get somewhere.
> > >
> > > Any input would be appreciated.
> > >
> >=20
> > Best thing is to stash them into staging and hope someone will be
> > interested in porting it.
>=20
> Would it be helpful if I sent patches that do nothing more than add t=
he source
> files as they exist currently to staging, or is there more that needs=
to happen
> for the source files to be appropriate for inclusion there?

That would be a good start, I can take it from there.

thanks,

greg k-h

2009-04-14 00:23:18

by Forest Bond

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 05:12:02PM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Forest Bond <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi,

> >> Just so I know who to pester*, will you be driving this? ?Do you have interest
> >> in also pulling in the VT6655 driver?
> >>
> >> * I won't pester that much. ;)
> >
> > I'm getting the sense that there is not a lot of developer interest in these
> > drivers. ?Is there anything I can do to aid in getting these drivers into the
> > kernel?
> >
> > I would be willing to send patches, however, my experience with kernel hacking
> > is limited and I don't have a lot of time available to contribute. ?With a
> > little direction, though, I might be able to get somewhere.
> >
> > Any input would be appreciated.
> >

> Best thing is to stash them into staging and hope someone will be
> interested in porting it.

Would it be helpful if I sent patches that do nothing more than add the source
files as they exist currently to staging, or is there more that needs to happen
for the source files to be appropriate for inclusion there?

Thanks,
Forest
--
Forest Bond
http://www.alittletooquiet.net
http://www.pytagsfs.org

Attachments:
(No filename) (2.04 kB)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Greg KH

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 08:55:23PM -0400, Forest Bond wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [Re-added Cc's, hope you hadn't dropped them on purpose. Sorry for spamming if
> they were trimmed deliberately.]
>
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 07:24:10PM -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
> > Forest Bond wrote:
> >
> > > I'm getting the sense that there is not a lot of developer interest in these
> > > drivers. Is there anything I can do to aid in getting these drivers into the
> > > kernel?
> > >
> > > I would be willing to send patches, however, my experience with kernel hacking
> > > is limited and I don't have a lot of time available to contribute. With a
> > > little direction, though, I might be able to get somewhere.
> > >
> > > Any input would be appreciated.
> >
> > You might be able to get it added to the drivers/staging directory - that is
> > where the c r a p drivers that have no chance of making it to mainline are put.
> >
> > To see what is wrong with that driver, compare its coding style to that of any
> > driver in the drivers/net/wireless directory tree.
> >
> > A second problem is that no new drivers that implement a software-based MAC
> > layer are likely to be accepted - this driver would have to be modified to use
> > mac80211.
>
> Great, this is enough to get started, at least. I assume that the quality bar
> is low for code in drivers/staging. Low quality work is a trademark of mine, so
> I should be able to tackle this. ;)
>
> Is there any reason I ought to think that it would be easier to get this
> accepted in linux-staging than drivers/staging? I'll admit that I feel better
> about the layout of drivers/staging than I do about the quilt stuff in
> linux-staging.

linux-staging is dead and gone and entirely contained within
drivers/staging/ now, so there is no such choice :)

thanks,

greg k-h

2009-04-14 02:36:10

by Greg KH

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 10:20:59PM -0400, Forest Bond wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 07:11:19PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:

> > > GregKH has said that he will take it from here. I think that means that he will
> > > add it to drivers/staging and get it to build.
> >
> > Yes I will. Can someone send me a patch?
>
> I will get you one patch for each driver adding the driver source under
> drivers/staging on linux-2.6. If that doesn't sound right, let me know.

That would be fine.

thanks,

greg k-h

2009-04-14 01:05:11

by Larry Finger

Forest Bond wrote:

> Great, this is enough to get started, at least. I assume that the quality bar
> is low for code in drivers/staging. Low quality work is a trademark of mine, so
> I should be able to tackle this. ;)
>
> Is there any reason I ought to think that it would be easier to get this
> accepted in linux-staging than drivers/staging? I'll admit that I feel better
> about the layout of drivers/staging than I do about the quilt stuff in
> linux-staging.

GregKH has said that he will take it from here. I think that means that he will
add it to drivers/staging and get it to build.

Larry

2009-04-14 02:13:49

by Greg KH

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 08:04:53PM -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
> Forest Bond wrote:
> >
> > Great, this is enough to get started, at least. I assume that the quality bar
> > is low for code in drivers/staging. Low quality work is a trademark of mine, so
> > I should be able to tackle this. ;)
> >
> > Is there any reason I ought to think that it would be easier to get this
> > accepted in linux-staging than drivers/staging? I'll admit that I feel better
> > about the layout of drivers/staging than I do about the quilt stuff in
> > linux-staging.
>
> GregKH has said that he will take it from here. I think that means that he will
> add it to drivers/staging and get it to build.

Yes I will. Can someone send me a patch?

thanks,

greg k-h

2009-04-14 00:12:18

by Luis R. Rodriguez

t> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 09:10:15AM -0400, Forest Bond wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 09:45:19AM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

>> > Indeed good news, what is the latest kernel it compiles for? If it
>> > compiles on Linus' tree it can be stashed into staging while it ge=
ts
>> > properly ported.
>>
>> Just so I know who to pester*, will you be driving this? =C2=A0Do yo=
u have interest
>> in also pulling in the VT6655 driver?
>>
>> * I won't pester that much. ;)
>
> I'm getting the sense that there is not a lot of developer interest i=
n these
> drivers. =C2=A0Is there anything I can do to aid in getting these dri=
vers into the
> kernel?
>
> I would be willing to send patches, however, my experience with kerne=
l hacking
> is limited and I don't have a lot of time available to contribute. =C2=
=A0With a
> little direction, though, I might be able to get somewhere.
>
> Any input would be appreciated.

Best thing is to stash them into staging and hope someone will be
interested in porting it.

Luis

2009-04-14 02:47:25

by Forest Bond

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 07:11:19PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 08:04:53PM -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
> > Forest Bond wrote:
> > >
> > > Great, this is enough to get started, at least. I assume that the quality bar
> > > is low for code in drivers/staging. Low quality work is a trademark of mine, so
> > > I should be able to tackle this. ;)
> > >
> > > Is there any reason I ought to think that it would be easier to get this
> > > accepted in linux-staging than drivers/staging? I'll admit that I feel better
> > > about the layout of drivers/staging than I do about the quilt stuff in
> > > linux-staging.
> >
> > GregKH has said that he will take it from here. I think that means that he will
> > add it to drivers/staging and get it to build.
>
> Yes I will. Can someone send me a patch?

Okay, sent separately. Hope I did things correctly.

Thanks for your help with this.

-Forest
--
Forest Bond
http://www.alittletooquiet.net
http://www.pytagsfs.org

Attachments:
(No filename) (993.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Forest Bond

Hi,

[Re-added Cc's, hope you hadn't dropped them on purpose. Sorry for spamming if
they were trimmed deliberately.]

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 07:24:10PM -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
> Forest Bond wrote:
>
> > I'm getting the sense that there is not a lot of developer interest in these
> > drivers. Is there anything I can do to aid in getting these drivers into the
> > kernel?
> >
> > I would be willing to send patches, however, my experience with kernel hacking
> > is limited and I don't have a lot of time available to contribute. With a
> > little direction, though, I might be able to get somewhere.
> >
> > Any input would be appreciated.
>
> You might be able to get it added to the drivers/staging directory - that is
> where the c r a p drivers that have no chance of making it to mainline are put.
>
> To see what is wrong with that driver, compare its coding style to that of any
> driver in the drivers/net/wireless directory tree.
>
> A second problem is that no new drivers that implement a software-based MAC
> layer are likely to be accepted - this driver would have to be modified to use
> mac80211.

Great, this is enough to get started, at least. I assume that the quality bar
is low for code in drivers/staging. Low quality work is a trademark of mine, so
I should be able to tackle this. ;)

Is there any reason I ought to think that it would be easier to get this
accepted in linux-staging than drivers/staging? I'll admit that I feel better
about the layout of drivers/staging than I do about the quilt stuff in
linux-staging.

Thanks,
Forest
--
Forest Bond
http://www.alittletooquiet.net
http://www.pytagsfs.org

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.61 kB)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Forest Bond

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 09:10:15AM -0400, Forest Bond wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 09:45:19AM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Forest Bond <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > VIA has released a new version of the VT6656 driver source, and it now has a
> > > proper license!
> > >
> > > ?http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/VT6656_Linux_src_v1.19_12_x86.zip
> > >
> > > As you may recall, the previous version lacked a license altogether, making it
> > > unfit for distribution.
> > >
> > > I'd really like to see this driver integrated into the kernel. ?Does anyone care
> > > to comment regarding feasibility?
> >
> > Indeed good news, what is the latest kernel it compiles for? If it
> > compiles on Linus' tree it can be stashed into staging while it gets
> > properly ported.
>
> Just so I know who to pester*, will you be driving this? Do you have interest
> in also pulling in the VT6655 driver?
>
> * I won't pester that much. ;)

I'm getting the sense that there is not a lot of developer interest in these
drivers. Is there anything I can do to aid in getting these drivers into the
kernel?

I would be willing to send patches, however, my experience with kernel hacking
is limited and I don't have a lot of time available to contribute. With a
little direction, though, I might be able to get somewhere.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Forest
--
Forest Bond
http://www.alittletooquiet.net
http://www.pytagsfs.org

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.47 kB)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Harald Welte

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 09:50:42AM -0400, Forest Bond wrote:

> You mention the idea of working on a new driver. Do you see any value in
> merging the vendor drivers and cleaning up from there?

I don't really know. It makes sense to have some repository somewhere public,
where the community can put in fixes and support for new kernel versions as
they come out. Whether or not that should be part of staging, I can't really
comment on it, as I have not been involved with that tree. Also, my opinion
doesn't matter. Greg takes everything that is GPL licensed, builds and
somebody sends to him :)

As for actually cleaning up the driver: I suppose you have seen it. Not only
does it contain its own 802.11 stack, firmware-as-hex-arrays but also its own
OS abstraction layer - similar to many other drivers like some of the early 8686
code that marvell released before the new libertas driver was started.

> BTW, these drivers could certainly use more expert attention than what I can
> offer. I'd be interested in working with you to get the vendor drivers in
> shape, if you think it is worthwhile. I take it no one at VIA is able to look
> at the staging drivers in -next?

No, nobody at VIA's wireless R&D will be able to look at it.

Starting from scratch with a real 'native' linux driver, using the correct
coding style and whatever useful bits from the in-mainline 80211 code is
probably considerably less work than trying to 'clean them up'.

At least we do have some known-working FOSS code that can be used as a reference
and for debugging. And if there is some kind of odd behaviour or a specific
question, I can try to hunt down somebody internally who might have an answer.
That's more than many other linux mainline/community wifi drivers had ;)

Regards.
--
- Harald Welte <[email protected]> http://linux.via.com.tw/
VIA Free and Open Source Software Liaison

2009-06-11 13:58:16

by Forest Bond

Hi Harald,

Glad to hear from you. I was just about to contact you regarding these devices.

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 09:29:54PM +0800, Harald Welte wrote:
> > I'm getting the sense that there is not a lot of developer interest in these
> > drivers.
>
> I am not surprised. I personally have not yet seen any remotely popular
> product in the market that uses a VIA wifi chip. However, this might change
> significantly in Q3/Q4 this year.

I have heard from a few interested parties at this point. Greg has been very
helpful as well, although that doesn't seem to be related to his (lack of)
interest in these particular devices. ;)

> If anyone wants to work on a new driver for the vt6656: I am happy to help with
> interfacing VIA's R&D in case there are some specific questions. I
> unfortunately cannot help with releasing documentation, as there is almost zero
> documentation on that part. (not a big surprise, even Intel has no programming
> manuals for their wifi chips...)

I'm currently working to get the vendor drivers into staging. vt6655 is
currently in linux-next, but there are some stability issues that may have been
introduced by some of my build fixes (or may have been present in the original
driver). I'm currently preparing patches to merge vt6656 into -next as well.

You mention the idea of working on a new driver. Do you see any value in
merging the vendor drivers and cleaning up from there?

BTW, these drivers could certainly use more expert attention than what I can
offer. I'd be interested in working with you to get the vendor drivers in
shape, if you think it is worthwhile. I take it no one at VIA is able to look
at the staging drivers in -next?

Thanks,
Forest
--
Forest Bond
http://www.alittletooquiet.net
http://www.pytagsfs.org

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.74 kB)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Harald Welte

Hi all,

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 08:08:35PM -0400, Forest Bond wrote:

> [...]

Which is what VIA always had intended, but by accident it seemed to go wrong.
What would be the point of having an open-source driver and then not licensing
it under the GPL.

In any case, sorry that it too VIA so long to get to that point.

I was also pushing internally for a new mainline driver that would not come with
its own wifi stack. Unfortunately there are no resources for that, and that
department even lost some of their developers, so I doubt there is change any
time soon.

However, for future VIA wifi products I have a committment that their drivers
will be developed more 'mainline style'.

As for the VT6656: I have recently also received some hardware for testing +
development. I am free to work on a new driver for mainline (I doubt any
cleaning up would help) as I please - but then my time is severely limited,
I'm also trying to improve the situation with regard to tons of other VIA
chips.