2009-10-26 13:31:15

by Holger Schurig

Subject: RECAP: plan for cfg80211 & mesh

After some talk on IRC I have the following plan:

* all WEXT code for the normal STA code goes into
assoc.c, wext.c and scan.c. Therefore, all my
patches not marked as RFC should be reviewed and
go into the kernel.

* There will be no CONFIG_LIBERTAS_WEXT or
CONFIG_LIBERTAS_CFG80211 command line option, so we
have one "flip-day", where we go from WEXT based
confuguration to CFG80211-based configuration (note
that cfg80211 allowes WEXT-based tools via compat-wext.c)

* for Libertas' mesh, we'll get an CONFIG_LIBERTAS_MESH
config.

* Liberas' mesh code also depend on WIRELESS_WEXT, it needs
4 WEXT ioctls: get ssid, set ssid, get mode and set channel.
For the beginning, libertas+cfg80211 will behave similar to
libertas+wext. That means: at module probing + initialization
time, it probes the firmware for mesh. It will the create a
(cfg80211 controlled) interface for STA, and if firmware
supports MESH, it creates an (wext controlled) mshX device.

* I plan to code the mesh code, as it seems now quite simple.
Testing must be done by third-parties.

I want to move all mesh related code into one or two files,
probably persistcfg+ethtool+mesh-stuff from main.c into
mesh.h/mesh.c. Or rename persistcfg.c to mesh.c, something
around this lines. This makes CONFIG_LIBERTAS_MESH less
intrusive.

* That means we have a bunch of WEXT cleanup patches, that
move things around in order to isolate WEXT related stuff
into some files. And another bunch of MESH cleanup
patches, that isolate MESH in some files.

And then, at "flag day" there will come a patch that
adds the full cfg80211 support, the CONFIG_LIBERTAS_MESH
Kconfig and removes the WEXT-code, now isolated in
scan.c, assoc.c and wext.c.

At some later time, if people are still interested in
MESH (OLPC people should document by maintaining it)
we can fully get rid of MESH-related WEXT code by
converting it to CFG80211, too. Otherwise, we might
rip out MESH, which will also be easier because of
the isolation.

* It's not clear yet if the first libertas+cfg80211
will support adhoc, monitor reception and monitor
packet injection. All of this might come on the
"flag day" --- or later. Full station mode will
come, sans some bugs :-)

Dan, I hope this recap is what we talked about. If not, please
correct me. All other parties, please comment.

--
M&N Solutions GmbH Ein Unternehmen der Datagroup AG
Holger Schurig

Handelsregister Friedberg, HRB 5903
Gesch?ftsf?hrer: P.Schrittenlocher