2009-11-07 12:27:40

by Janusz Krzysztofik

Subject: Looking for a low power wireless USB adapter

Hi,

I am developing software for Amstrad E3 (Delta), an ARM OMAP based videophone.
The machine is not a new design and has no network adapter on board, but
forunately it has USB port. I have no problems connecting it to a wired
network using an Ethernet dongle.

However, trying to use a wireless USB adapter, I have hardware issues. I
suspect it is USB power consumption that matters (the port was designed for
connecting a printer).

My wireless adapter is rt73 based, lsusb -v shows MaxPower 300mA. The wired
adapter that works for me shows MaxPower of 144mA. Rather that using an
external powered USB hub, I'd like to find a wireless adapter that is
supposed to consume less than 300mA (while not in idle :-)). However,
hardware vendors seem to not publish such information at all.

I'm sure that many of you, wireless developers, have a few different USB
adapters on hand. I'd be glad if you could have a look at them and give me
information on power consumption of your device as shown by lsusb if less
than 300mA.

Thanks,
Janusz

PS. Sorry for abusing a developer list.