2009-11-11 21:40:19

by Janusz Krzysztofik

Subject: Please share info about power consumption characteristics of your USB adapter

Hi,

Please anyone owning one of adapters listed below: if the adapter is supported
by linux-wireless, please check for MaxPower with lsusb -v and give me the
result. I am looking for an adapter with MaxPower less than 300mA and would
rather not buy them all to learn they all do not fit :-).

Once again, sorry for abusing a devel list for this.

Thanks,
Janusz

Asus WL-167g V2 (90-I8N2E0-0UAZ)
D-Link DWA-125
D-Link DWA-140
D-Link DWL-G122
Intellinet 503457
Linksys WUSB100-EU
Linksys WUSB54GC-EU
Modecom WIFI-CARD-USB-MC-0105
Modecom WIFI-CARD-USB-MC-0106
Netgear WG111TEE
Netgear WPN111EE
OvisLink WL-1600USB
Pentagram P 6132-08
TP-Link TL-WN422G
TP-Link TL-WN721N
TP-Link TL-WN821N

2009-11-11 23:10:36

by Janusz Krzysztofik

Hi,

Thanks for all answers so far.

Regarding Luis suggestion: I don't know how to edit wireless wiki, but I
promiss to collect all information I get from you and post it in a tabular
form here. Then, you can safely send more answers to my private address if
you don't want to overload the list too much :-).

Thanks,
Janusz

2009-11-12 16:31:49

by Janusz Krzysztofik

Wednesday 11 November 2009 22:52:16 Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz napisał(a):
> On Wednesday 11 November 2009 22:19:07 Janusz Krzysztofik wrote:
> > Pentagram P 6132-08
>
> 450mA so you can cross this one out from your list.

Dzięki.

Gdyby podał mi Pan więcej danych: pasujący sterownik, identyfikator USB, to
wpisałbym to do odpowiedniej tabelki, tak jak zrobiłem z danymi otrzymanymi
od innych.

Janusz

On Thursday 12 November 2009 18:11:32 Janusz Krzysztofik wrote:
> Thursday 12 November 2009 17:31:33 Janusz Krzysztofik napisał(a):
> > Wednesday 11 November 2009 22:52:16 Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz napisał(a):
> > >
> > > 450mA so you can cross this one out from your list.
> >
> > Dzięki.
> >
> > Gdyby podał mi Pan więcej danych: pasujący sterownik, identyfikator USB, to
> > wpisałbym to do odpowiedniej tabelki, tak jak zrobiłem z danymi otrzymanymi
> > od innych.
> >
> > Janusz
>
> Sorry, I didn't inted to send that message to the list. I asked for more data
> (driver, USB ID) on Pentagram P 6132-08 to put it into the wiki.

USB IDs:

idVendor 0x148f Ralink Technology, Corp.
idProduct 0x3070

and the driver is rt2800usb (or alternatively staging/rt2870sta).

Pozdrawiam.
--
Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz

2009-11-22 00:15:13

by Janusz Krzysztofik

Wednesday 11 November 2009 22:19:07 Janusz Krzysztofik wrote:
> Please anyone owning one of adapters listed below: if the adapter is
> supported by linux-wireless, please check for MaxPower with lsusb -v and
> give me the result. I am looking for an adapter with MaxPower less than
> 300mA and would rather not buy them all to learn they all do not fit :-).

Hi,

Thank you all who shared their adapter data. All info I got from you should
now be available in device tables on the linux-wireless wiki.

BTW, I didn't find what I was looking for. Now I'm going to investigate if I
could switch to using bluetooth networking, that seems less power hungry.

Thanks,
Janusz

2009-11-12 01:51:17

by Janusz Krzysztofik

Thursday 12 November 2009 00:22:54 Luis R. Rodriguez napisał(a):
> Just go to:
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/
>
> sign up for an account and edit the stuff into any page. We can help
> you organize it.

Luis,

As you have been probably notified, I entered some info into several
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/*/devices pages, introducing a new
column: MaxPower. I hope you accept it.

I will add more if I get more answers (not found any adapter with less then
300mA yet :( ).

BTW, I'm not sure how to get the MaxPower column dispayed on
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Devices/USB page. Shall it appear if I
add that column to every USB driver devices table?

Thanks,
Janusz

2009-11-12 17:11:42

by Janusz Krzysztofik

Thursday 12 November 2009 17:31:33 Janusz Krzysztofik napisał(a):
> Wednesday 11 November 2009 22:52:16 Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz napisał(a):
> > On Wednesday 11 November 2009 22:19:07 Janusz Krzysztofik wrote:
> > > Pentagram P 6132-08
> >
> > 450mA so you can cross this one out from your list.
>
> Dzięki.
>
> Gdyby podał mi Pan więcej danych: pasujący sterownik, identyfikator USB, to
> wpisałbym to do odpowiedniej tabelki, tak jak zrobiłem z danymi otrzymanymi
> od innych.
>
> Janusz

Sorry, I didn't inted to send that message to the list. I asked for more data
(driver, USB ID) on Pentagram P 6132-08 to put it into the wiki.

Janusz

2009-11-11 23:23:10

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Janusz Krzysztofik
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for all answers so far.
>
> Regarding Luis suggestion: I don't know how to edit wireless wiki, but I
> promiss to collect all information I get from you and post it in a tabular
> form here. Then, you can safely send more answers to my private address if
> you don't want to overload the list too much :-).

Just go to:

http://wireless.kernel.org/

sign up for an account and edit the stuff into any page. We can help
you organize it.

Luis

2009-11-11 22:11:36

by Stefan Lippers-Hollmann

Hi

On Wednesday 11 November 2009, Janusz Krzysztofik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please anyone owning one of adapters listed below: if the adapter is supported
> by linux-wireless, please check for MaxPower with lsusb -v and give me the
> result. I am looking for an adapter with MaxPower less than 300mA and would
> rather not buy them all to learn they all do not fit :-).
>
> Once again, sorry for abusing a devel list for this.
>
> Thanks,
> Janusz

[...]
> Linksys WUSB54GC-EU
MaxPower 300mA
but this is the original revision using real rt73usb, I have read that
never revisions use a different chipset[1].

[...]
> TP-Link TL-WN821N
MaxPower 500mA

Regards
Stefan Lippers-Hollmann

[1] http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5245

2009-11-11 21:43:36

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Janusz Krzysztofik
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please anyone owning one of adapters listed below: if the adapter is supported
> by linux-wireless, please check for MaxPower with lsusb -v and give me the
> result. I am looking for an adapter with MaxPower less than 300mA and would
> rather not buy them all to learn they all do not fit :-).
>
> Once again, sorry for abusing a devel list for this.
>
> Thanks,
> Janusz
>
> Asus WL-167g V2 (90-I8N2E0-0UAZ)
> D-Link DWA-125
> D-Link DWA-140
> D-Link DWL-G122
> Intellinet 503457
> Linksys WUSB100-EU
> Linksys WUSB54GC-EU
> Modecom WIFI-CARD-USB-MC-0105
> Modecom WIFI-CARD-USB-MC-0106
> Netgear WG111TEE
> Netgear WPN111EE
> OvisLink WL-1600USB
> Pentagram P 6132-08
> TP-Link TL-WN422G
> TP-Link TL-WN721N
> TP-Link TL-WN821N

May want to slap this on the wireless wiki somewhere.

Luis

2009-11-11 22:05:04

by Larry Finger

On 11/11/2009 03:19 PM, Janusz Krzysztofik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please anyone owning one of adapters listed below: if the adapter is supported
> by linux-wireless, please check for MaxPower with lsusb -v and give me the
> result. I am looking for an adapter with MaxPower less than 300mA and would
> rather not buy them all to learn they all do not fit :-).
>
> Once again, sorry for abusing a devel list for this.
>
> Thanks,
> Janusz
>
> Asus WL-167g V2 (90-I8N2E0-0UAZ)
> D-Link DWA-125
> D-Link DWA-140
> D-Link DWL-G122
> Intellinet 503457
> Linksys WUSB100-EU
> Linksys WUSB54GC-EU
> Modecom WIFI-CARD-USB-MC-0105
> Modecom WIFI-CARD-USB-MC-0106
> Netgear WG111TEE
> Netgear WPN111EE
> OvisLink WL-1600USB
> Pentagram P 6132-08
> TP-Link TL-WN422G
> TP-Link TL-WN721N
> TP-Link TL-WN821N

I do not have any of the specific models you mention, but here are the 3 that I
have:

Netgear WG111v2 [Realtek RTL8187L] USB ID 0846:6a00 MaxPower 500mA
Level One 0301USB [Realtek RTL8187B] USB ID 0bda:8187 MaxPower 500mA
Dell 1450 USB [uses p54usb] USB ID 413c:8104 MaxPower 500mA

There seems to be a pattern!

Larry

On Wednesday 11 November 2009 22:19:07 Janusz Krzysztofik wrote:

> Pentagram P 6132-08

450mA so you can cross this one out from your list.

--
Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz

2009-11-12 16:37:08

by Johannes Stezenbach

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:19:07PM +0100, Janusz Krzysztofik wrote:

> Please anyone owning one of adapters listed below: if the adapter is supported
> by linux-wireless, please check for MaxPower with lsusb -v and give me the
> result. I am looking for an adapter with MaxPower less than 300mA and would
> rather not buy them all to learn they all do not fit :-).

> D-Link DWL-G122

Although I think you cannot rely on the numbers in the USB descriptor, FWIW:

idVendor 0x07d1 D-Link System
idProduct 0x3c03 DWL-G122 802.11g Adapter [ralink rt73]
MaxPower 300mA

Johannes

2009-11-11 23:43:11

by Johannes Berg

On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 22:19 +0100, Janusz Krzysztofik wrote:

> Please anyone owning one of adapters listed below: if the adapter is supported
> by linux-wireless, please check for MaxPower with lsusb -v and give me the
> result. I am looking for an adapter with MaxPower less than 300mA and would
> rather not buy them all to learn they all do not fit :-).

Mind you, the USB MaxPower is often incorrect. I've had devices that
draw significantly more than what the advertise, and I'm sure there are
devices that draw less...

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (801.00 B)