2009-11-18 19:18:15

by Luis R. Rodriguez

Subject: Re: [ath5k-devel] "iwlist scan" shows same ap twice

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Florian Engelhardt <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:35:24 -0800, "Luis R. Rodriguez" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> That's wild. What kernel are you using?
>
> # uname -a
> Linux eka 2.6.31-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Nov 10 19:48:17 CET 2009 i686
> Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
>
>> Have you tried:
>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download/stable
>> or
>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download
>
> Tried both, no change.
>
>> Can you provide the output of 'iw list', your dmesg, and your 'iw dev
>> wlan0 scan'.
>
> See attached files. Despite that i can add one additional information: I
> have a second Laptop with Intel WLAN Chip, and it shows exactly the same
> behaviour, MA-WLAN two, sometimes three times, with none of the addresses
> being correct.
>
> Somehow, i can not reproduce this kind of behaviour with my own wlan. It
> shows up only one time, not multiple, but it did two days ago on the ath5k
> chipset based netbook

As Bob pointed out your scan shows two beacons received on different BSSes:

00:80:48:5c:86:5d
00:80:48:5c:86:48

The TSF on the second one seems odd though. Do you have access to the
AP? Can you change the channel to see if you see the two beacons on a
new channel?

Can you try rebooting it?

BSS 00:80:48:5c:86:5d (on wlan0)
TSF: 276107264385 usec (3d, 04:41:47)
freq: 2457
beacon interval: 100
capability: ESS Privacy ShortPreamble (0x0031)
signal: -92.00 dBm
SSID: MA-WLAN
Supported rates: 1.0* 2.0* 5.5 11.0
DS Parameter set: channel 10
Country: NA (in/outdoor), data: 0a 02 12
ERP: <no flags>
Extended supported rates: 6.0 9.0 12.0 18.0 24.0 36.0 48.0 54.0
RSN: * Version: 1
* Group cipher: TKIP
* Pairwise ciphers: TKIP CCMP
* Authentication suites: PSK
* Capabilities: PreAuth (0x0001)
BSS 00:80:48:5c:86:48 (on wlan0)
TSF: 921985 usec (0d, 00:00:00)
freq: 2457
beacon interval: 100
capability: ESS Privacy ShortPreamble (0x0031)
signal: -99.00 dBm
SSID: MA-WLAN
Supported rates: 1.0* 2.0* 5.5 11.0
DS Parameter set: channel 10
Country: NA (in/outdoor), data: 0a 02 12
ERP: <no flags>
Extended supported rates: 6.0 9.0 12.0 18.0 24.0 36.0 48.0 54.0
RSN: * Version: 1
* Group cipher: TKIP
* Pairwise ciphers: TKIP CCMP
* Authentication suites: PSK
* Capabilities: PreAuth (0x0001)

2009-11-18 19:55:18

by Luis Chamberlain

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 08:31:56PM +0100, Florian Engelhardt wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:18:01 -0800
> "Luis R. Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Florian Engelhardt <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > # uname -a
> > > Linux eka 2.6.31-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Nov 10 19:48:17 CET 2009
> > > i686 Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

> > > Tried both, no change.

> > > See attached files. Despite that i can add one additional
> > > information: I have a second Laptop with Intel WLAN Chip, and it
> > > shows exactly the same behaviour, MA-WLAN two, sometimes three
> > > times, with none of the addresses being correct.
> > >
> > > Somehow, i can not reproduce this kind of behaviour with my own
> > > wlan. It shows up only one time, not multiple, but it did two days
> > > ago on the ath5k chipset based netbook
> >
> > As Bob pointed out your scan shows two beacons received on different
> > BSSes:
> >
> > 00:80:48:5c:86:5d
> > 00:80:48:5c:86:48
> >
> > The TSF on the second one seems odd though. Do you have access to the
> > AP? Can you change the channel to see if you see the two beacons on a
> > new channel?
> > Can you try rebooting it?
>
> Sorry, no. I have no access to that AP, but i can ask the owner if he
> may reboot it, or if he faces any problems with it.

Yeah ask him for the actual MAC address of the BSS you are supposed to
be connecting to. Did you tell him your cards are seeing two beacons
from it?

Might want to get a sniffer an capture two beacons to show this info.

Luis

2009-11-18 19:41:34

by Florian Engelhardt

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:18:01 -0800
"Luis R. Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Florian Engelhardt <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:35:24 -0800, "Luis R. Rodriguez"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> That's wild. What kernel are you using?
> >
> > # uname -a
> > Linux eka 2.6.31-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Nov 10 19:48:17 CET 2009
> > i686 Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
> >
> >> Have you tried:
> >> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download/stable
> >> or
> >> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download
> >
> > Tried both, no change.
> >
> >> Can you provide the output of 'iw list', your dmesg, and your 'iw
> >> dev wlan0 scan'.
> >
> > See attached files. Despite that i can add one additional
> > information: I have a second Laptop with Intel WLAN Chip, and it
> > shows exactly the same behaviour, MA-WLAN two, sometimes three
> > times, with none of the addresses being correct.
> >
> > Somehow, i can not reproduce this kind of behaviour with my own
> > wlan. It shows up only one time, not multiple, but it did two days
> > ago on the ath5k chipset based netbook
>
> As Bob pointed out your scan shows two beacons received on different
> BSSes:
>
> 00:80:48:5c:86:5d
> 00:80:48:5c:86:48
>
> The TSF on the second one seems odd though. Do you have access to the
> AP? Can you change the channel to see if you see the two beacons on a
> new channel?
> Can you try rebooting it?

Sorry, no. I have no access to that AP, but i can ask the owner if he
may reboot it, or if he faces any problems with it.

/Florian