2010-12-09 22:20:38

by Luis R. Rodriguez

Subject: Start dropping PCMCIA from compat-wireless for 2.6.38+

I'm going to start dropping PCMCIA stuff from compat-wireless as I
don't think we have any users of it nor interest to keep backporting
it. This entails dropping drivers like orinoco, b43 PCMCIA support,
libertas, as well as bluetooth bluecard_cs, bluecard_cs, dtl1_cs,
bt3c_cs and of course CONFIG_SSB_PCMCIAHOST. If you are a user please
yell now.

Luis

2010-12-09 22:28:14

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm going to start dropping PCMCIA stuff from compat-wireless as I
> don't think we have any users of it nor interest to keep backporting
> it. This entails dropping drivers like orinoco, b43 PCMCIA support,
> libertas, as well as bluetooth bluecard_cs, bluecard_cs, dtl1_cs,
> bt3c_cs and of course CONFIG_SSB_PCMCIAHOST. If you are a user please
> yell now.

Well Haukes just sent me a patch to update some stuff so PCMCIA is
saved until further notice :)

Luis

2010-12-13 07:42:03

by Holger Schurig

Please, if the burden is not too much, keep it for the benefit of
embedded people.

If you have some embedded device (e.g. ARM based), it's usually not so
easy to hieve this device to newest 2.6.3[5-7] kernel. However, it's
easy to use your adapted kernel, and compile compat-wireless against it.

I'm in such a situation with libertas_cs.

Greetings,
Holger

--
Homepage: http://www.holgerschurig.de

2010-12-13 17:26:48

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 11:46 PM, Holger Schurig
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Please, if the burden is not too much, keep it for the benefit of
> embedded people.
>
> If you have some embedded device (e.g. ARM based), it's usually not so
> easy to hieve this device to newest 2.6.3[5-7] kernel. However, it's
> easy to use your adapted kernel, and compile compat-wireless against it.
>
> I'm in such a situation with libertas_cs.

You use libertas_cs on an embedded device with compat-wireless, OK,
thanks for the feedback. If you can help with patches when PCMCIA crap
is advanced that would help too.

Luis

2010-12-09 22:44:30

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Jesper Juhl <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Dec 2010, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>
>> I'm going to start dropping PCMCIA stuff from compat-wireless as I
>> don't think we have any users of it nor interest to keep backporting
>> it. This entails dropping drivers like orinoco, b43 PCMCIA support,
>> libertas, as well as bluetooth bluecard_cs, bluecard_cs, dtl1_cs,
>> bt3c_cs and of course CONFIG_SSB_PCMCIAHOST. If you are a user please
>> yell now.
>>
> Yelling.
> While I'm not personally a user, my mother is. She still has an old IBM
> Thinkpad 600 laptop with a PCMCIA card in it that uses the orinoco driver.

And you have your mother using compat-wireless?

Luis

2010-12-09 22:37:48

by Jesper Juhl

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

> I'm going to start dropping PCMCIA stuff from compat-wireless as I
> don't think we have any users of it nor interest to keep backporting
> it. This entails dropping drivers like orinoco, b43 PCMCIA support,
> libertas, as well as bluetooth bluecard_cs, bluecard_cs, dtl1_cs,
> bt3c_cs and of course CONFIG_SSB_PCMCIAHOST. If you are a user please
> yell now.

Yelling.
While I'm not personally a user, my mother is. She still has an old IBM
Thinkpad 600 laptop with a PCMCIA card in it that uses the orinoco driver.

--
Jesper Juhl <[email protected]> http://www.chaosbits.net/
Plain text mails only, please.

2010-12-09 22:43:26

by Jesper Juhl

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Jesper Juhl <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Thu, 9 Dec 2010, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> >
> >> I'm going to start dropping PCMCIA stuff from compat-wireless as I
> >> don't think we have any users of it nor interest to keep backporting
> >> it. This entails dropping drivers like orinoco, b43 PCMCIA support,
> >> libertas, as well as bluetooth bluecard_cs, bluecard_cs, dtl1_cs,
> >> bt3c_cs and of course CONFIG_SSB_PCMCIAHOST. If you are a user please
> >> yell now.
> >>
> > Yelling.
> > While I'm not personally a user, my mother is. She still has an old IBM
> > Thinkpad 600 laptop with a PCMCIA card in it that uses the orinoco driver.
>
> And you have your mother using compat-wireless?

Yes, as a matter of fact I do.

--
Jesper Juhl <[email protected]> http://www.chaosbits.net/
Plain text mails only, please.

2010-12-16 13:12:57

by Holger Schurig

> You use libertas_cs on an embedded device with compat-wireless, OK,
> thanks for the feedback. If you can help with patches when PCMCIA crap
> is advanced that would help too.

The problem is that I work on this in an on-off way. If a customer
notices some heavy bug with the current kernel on our devices, I'll do
the upgrade dance. As long as everything works, I'm lazy --- or busy
doing other things.

And I'm looking for a new job anyway :-)

Greetings,
Holger

--
Homepage: http://www.holgerschurig.de