2011-02-02 19:57:17

by Eric Fernandez

Subject: Ralink RT2501/RT2573 USB Wireless Adapter crashes kernel 2.6.37

Hi,

This follows the issue I reported two days ago. I have had two crashes
tonight using kernel 2.6.37-5 on Archlinux 64. Unfortunately, this
leads to no log in the kernel log whatsoever. The machine freezes
completely, if sound is played it loops. I cannot confirm if I can ssh
to the box (have only one computer), however, this is linked to the
usage of my wireless adapter, since switching to wired ethernet does
not lead to this issue.
One thing: when I reboot (hard reset), I need to unplug my adapter so
that it works after login. Otherwise, it seems to associate fine with
the router, but strangely I cannot download anything. Using gkrellm, I
can see that it sends some packets to the router at regular interval,
but does not download. I don't know if this is significant and if this
can help identify the issue.

I would be very keen to help, but without log messages I am stuck. Any
suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Eric

2011-02-03 13:45:23

by John W. Linville

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 07:57:15PM +0000, Eric Fernandez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This follows the issue I reported two days ago. I have had two crashes
> tonight using kernel 2.6.37-5 on Archlinux 64. Unfortunately, this
> leads to no log in the kernel log whatsoever. The machine freezes
> completely, if sound is played it loops. I cannot confirm if I can ssh
> to the box (have only one computer), however, this is linked to the
> usage of my wireless adapter, since switching to wired ethernet does
> not lead to this issue.
> One thing: when I reboot (hard reset), I need to unplug my adapter so
> that it works after login. Otherwise, it seems to associate fine with
> the router, but strangely I cannot download anything. Using gkrellm, I
> can see that it sends some packets to the router at regular interval,
> but does not download. I don't know if this is significant and if this
> can help identify the issue.
>
> I would be very keen to help, but without log messages I am stuck. Any
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Eric

Can you use netconsole over the wired link to capture a backtrace
when the lock-up occurs?

John
--
John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you
[email protected] might be all we have. Be ready.

2011-02-02 21:40:17

by Johannes Stezenbach

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 07:57:15PM +0000, Eric Fernandez wrote:
> This follows the issue I reported two days ago. I have had two crashes
> tonight using kernel 2.6.37-5 on Archlinux 64. Unfortunately, this
> leads to no log in the kernel log whatsoever. The machine freezes
> completely, if sound is played it loops. I cannot confirm if I can ssh
> to the box (have only one computer), however, this is linked to the
> usage of my wireless adapter, since switching to wired ethernet does
> not lead to this issue.
> One thing: when I reboot (hard reset), I need to unplug my adapter so
> that it works after login. Otherwise, it seems to associate fine with
> the router, but strangely I cannot download anything. Using gkrellm, I
> can see that it sends some packets to the router at regular interval,
> but does not download. I don't know if this is significant and if this
> can help identify the issue.
>
> I would be very keen to help, but without log messages I am stuck. Any
> suggestions?

No solution yet, but I'd like to point you to the
thread on the rt2x00-users list:
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/pipermail/users_rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/2011-February/003109.html

Johannes

2011-02-02 22:54:39

by Eric Fernandez

2011/2/2 Johannes Stezenbach <[email protected]>:

> No solution yet, but I'd like to point you to the
> thread on the rt2x00-users list:
> http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/pipermail/users_rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/2011-February/003109.html
>
> Johannes

What Leonardo is reporting might be the same manifestation of the same
issue. This crash does not happen with kernel 2.6.36, and with 2.6.37,
it happens quite rarely. However, I can increase the chances of it
happening by heavily browsing the Internet, and especially when
seekinbg in Youtube videos, leading to a lot of downloading.

Another post in this mailing list is this one:
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/pipermail/users_rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/2011-January/002935.html
since it reports a crash issue specific to 2.6.37 that did not happen
in 2.6.36 (started with
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/pipermail/users_rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/2010-December/002868.html).

Finally, this issue seems to affect other users:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613049&page=2 "There is a
fairly easy to trigger crash in this one with my USB Ralink
Technology, Corp. RT2501/RT2573 Wireless Adapter (rt73/rt2x00lib). I
am trying to get a proper snapshot of the trace for a report but at
least people might want to be a bit careful."

Eric

2011-02-02 07:51:59

by Eric Fernandez

> proprietary modules :-(

This is probably nvidia.

> Can you double check rfkill module is from compat-wireless
> and not from you kernel?

You may be right, I cannot find rfkill in /updates. It should be
compiled with the compat-wireless building?

Actually this problem starts to be reported by others, with other
adapters. I'll try to see what is going on with Arch devs.

Anyway, I still have the original issue of unstability and crashes
(and this is reported too for several distributions that distribute
2.6.37).

Many thanks !
Eric

2011-02-03 14:41:28

by Eric Fernandez

2011/2/2 John W. Linville <[email protected]>:

> Can you use netconsole over the wired link to capture a backtrace
> when the lock-up occurs?
>
> John

Hi John,

Unfortunately I have not got another machine. I'll see what I can do.

Eric