2011-02-10 08:40:25

by Ferraton, Jean RegisX

Subject: Advise on how to integrate latest bluetooth updates on linux 2.6.35 kernel

Hi all,

I'm working in the bluetooth part in a project based on the 2.6.35 linux kernel.

We've found some bugs related to bluetooth, and I've seen that most of these bugs have been solved by latest releases (2.6.36 and 2.6.37).

To implement these modifications, I have the following options:

1- Implement all the patches one by one
2- Use the bluetooth modules (*.ko) included in the latest compat-wireless release
3- Overwrite the bluetooth source files in the kernel with the ones coming from compat-wireless ?and rebuild

In my opinion, the 2nd solution seems the cleaner and easier way to achieve this. Could you advise me about the best way to proceed?
Thanks

Regards

Jean R?gis Ferraton
CVE/CWS team
[email protected]

Intel France
134, av Eisenhower
BP 73586
31023 TOULOUSE cedex 1

92196 Meudon Cedex, France
Registration Number: 302 456 199 R.C.S. NANTERRE
Capital: 4,572,000 Euros

by Ferraton, Jean RegisX

I've tried to use the compat-wireless solution, but it is impossible, as in our case we are using a BT driver bt_drv which is in the kernel and depends on bluetooth.h and is incompatible with the compat version. So it is impossible to use the compat solution.

Now I'm trying to use the bluetooth-next tree, replacing the Bluetooth stuff in my kernel. Technically, it works fine.

Do you think this kind of implementation is acceptable?
If not, what would you recommend?

Regards

Jean
92196 Meudon Cedex, France
Registration Number: 302 456 199 R.C.S. NANTERRE
Capital: 4,572,000 Euros

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011, Walter Goldens wrote:
> > I'm working in the bluetooth part in a project based on the
> > 2.6.35 linux kernel.
> >
> > We've found some bugs related to bluetooth, and I've seen
> > that most of these bugs have been solved by latest releases
> > (2.6.36 and 2.6.37).

> Compat-wireless is your best bet. Noninvasive solution to your problem.

There is a 2.6.35 longterm, as well as stable 2.6.36. If these are real
fixes that address bugs users will find on the field, they might well be
candidates for the stable (and longterm) releases. And THAT is always much
preferable over compat-wireless, as it would be helpful to a lot more users.

Henrique Holschuh

2011-02-10 12:51:46

by Walter Goldens

> I'm working in the bluetooth part in a project based on the
> 2.6.35 linux kernel.
>
> We've found some bugs related to bluetooth, and I've seen
> that most of these bugs have been solved by latest releases
> (2.6.36 and 2.6.37).
>
> To implement these modifications, I have the following
>
> 1- Implement all the patches one by one
> 2- Use the bluetooth modules (*.ko) included in the latest
> compat-wireless release
> 3- Overwrite the bluetooth source files in the kernel with
> the ones coming from compat-wireless ?and rebuild
>
> In my opinion, the 2nd solution seems the cleaner and
> easier way to achieve this. Could you advise me about the
> best way to proceed?
> Thanks
>
> Regards

Compat-wireless is your best bet. Noninvasive solution to your problem.

Walter