2011-04-11 09:08:57

by Ali Bahar

Subject: Is the todo-list up-to-date?

Hi all,

is
http://linuxwireless.org/en/developers/todo-list
up to date? Can I plan some work on its basis?

I have some time to allocate to a project, and so have scoured that
site, and searched this list -- among others. 802.11s has a list of
outstanding features, so it's in consideration. (Yes I know .11s has a
different mailing list.)

I have a background in embedded, and 802.11, though not specifically
within the Linux kernel. So I'd need something which I can test/debug
in order to slowly get to know the code structures etc.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Regards,
Ali

2011-04-11 10:38:49

by Johannes Berg

Subject: Re: Is the todo-list up-to-date?

> is
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/developers/todo-list
> up to date? Can I plan some work on its basis?

It's pretty much up-to-date (except for some of the "AP support" things
where we decided to do things differently), but most of the items on the
list are under-specified and require a good understanding of the stack.
I'm not saying that you can't do it, but I suspect it will not be very
rewarding initially since you'd probably spend a good deal of time on
understanding what a certain todo item really means since they're just
very short descriptions of mostly complex issues.

That said, if you have a specific thing you'd like to work on I suggest
you come back to the list for pointers and help :-)

johannes

2011-04-11 11:01:46

by Ali Bahar

Hi Johannes,

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 12:40:54PM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:

> > is
> > http://linuxwireless.org/en/developers/todo-list
> > up to date? Can I plan some work on its basis?
>
> It's pretty much up-to-date (except for some of the "AP support" things
> where we decided to do things differently), but most of the items on the
> list are under-specified and require a good understanding of the stack.

Yes, I can see that.

> I'm not saying that you can't do it, but I suspect it will not be very
> rewarding initially since you'd probably spend a good deal of time on
> understanding what a certain todo item really means since they're just

I understand.

I did suspect a substantial overhead. This is why I wanted to make
sure that there is an open road ahead (though long), instead of one
that's already closed.

> That said, if you have a specific thing you'd like to work on I suggest
> you come back to the list for pointers and help :-)

Greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ali