2011-06-02 18:27:13

by Arif Ali

Subject: r8192se_pci or rtlwifi/rtl8192ce

Hi,

I was asked to post to this list wrt the problem I have with the wireless on
my new laptop

I have just bought a Thinkpad Edge 15, which has the following card

*-network
product: RTL8191SEvB Wireless LAN Controller
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:09:00.0
logical name: wlan0
version: 10
serial: 5c:ac:4c:bc:27:1e
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl819xSE
driverversion=0019.1207.2010 firmware=63 ip=192.168.10.51 latency=0
multicast=yes wireless=802.11bg
resources: irq:18 ioport:d000(size=256) memory:d0500000-d0503fff

I have then tried to re-compile the drivers from realtek, with no avail,
having similar problems

At the moment in Ubuntu 11.04, I am using r8192se_pci, which seems to be
very flakey to say the least, where my connections from remote servers
disconnect within 5 minutes. It was suggested to me that I use the
compat-wireless drivers, of which I did

I tried loading the rtlwifi with rtl8192ce, but that didn't work and didn't
see my card, but then I guess that would be expected as the aliases were not
there for my card. although the DID is mentioned in the pci.h, so I was
wondering would this driver work with my card, or should I be looking
elsewhere?

Any input on advice on this card would be appreciated
thanks

Arif Ali

--
Arif Ali

2011-06-03 23:01:30

by Larry Finger

Subject: Re: r8192se_pci or rtlwifi/rtl8192ce

On 06/03/2011 12:29 PM, Arif Ali wrote:
> For some reason the rc1 kernel didn't work from the mainline kernels from
> ubuntu, I downloaded the latest kernel from mainline, (although it says it is
> for oneiric)
>
> i.e. The kernel below for me works
>
> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/daily/2011-06-02-oneiric/
>
> i.e. 3.0.0-999-generic
>
> The driver being used here is rtl8192se, and the stability issues I had are now
> gone, will test for a few more days and see how it goes.
>
> Thanks for all those people who replied

Sorry that I did not reply earlier, but I was traveling without access to Email.

The driver rtl8192se in kernel 3.0-rc1 is the correct one as you noted. For me,
it has been very stable. There is one fix that is in the pipeline, in
wireless-testing, but not yet in the mainline tree. The symptoms are kernel
panics due to excessive fragmentation causing buffer allocation failures. This
problem affects both rtl8192ce and rtl8192se. As it took a long time for me to
have problems with the drivers, you will likely not see the problem. The fix
should be in 3.0-rc2. If you want, I can send you the patches.

Larry

2011-06-03 13:43:22

by Arif Ali

On 03/06/11 14:03, Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 07:27:09PM +0100, Arif Ali wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was asked to post to this list wrt the problem I have with the wireless on
>> my new laptop
>>
>> I have just bought a Thinkpad Edge 15, which has the following card
>>
>> *-network
>> product: RTL8191SEvB Wireless LAN Controller
>> vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
>> physical id: 0
>> bus info: pci@0000:09:00.0
>> logical name: wlan0
>> version: 10
>> serial: 5c:ac:4c:bc:27:1e
>> width: 32 bits
>> clock: 33MHz
>> capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
>> configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl819xSE
>> driverversion=0019.1207.2010 firmware=63 ip=192.168.10.51 latency=0
>> multicast=yes wireless=802.11bg
>> resources: irq:18 ioport:d000(size=256) memory:d0500000-d0503fff
>>
>> I have then tried to re-compile the drivers from realtek, with no avail,
>> having similar problems
>>
>> At the moment in Ubuntu 11.04, I am using r8192se_pci, which seems to be
>> very flakey to say the least, where my connections from remote servers
>> disconnect within 5 minutes. It was suggested to me that I use the
>> compat-wireless drivers, of which I did
>>
>> I tried loading the rtlwifi with rtl8192ce, but that didn't work and didn't
>> see my card, but then I guess that would be expected as the aliases were not
>> there for my card. although the DID is mentioned in the pci.h, so I was
>> wondering would this driver work with my card, or should I be looking
>> elsewhere?
>>
>> Any input on advice on this card would be appreciated
>> thanks
>>
>> Arif Ali
>>
>> --
>> Arif Ali
>>

> Hello, Arif.
>
> I have a RTL8191SEvA card, not a vB. But I guess that should work. The
> vendor and product ID are 0x10ec (Realtek) and 0x8171. It's working very
> nicely with rtl8192se driver from rtlwifi from 3.0-rc1. That support
> does not exist for 2.6.39 or previous versions of Linux.
>
> Regards,
> Cascardo.

OK, will try the 3.0-rc1 kernel from ubuntu, see if it will work, thanks
for your reply

--
Arif Ali

Attachments: