2011-08-25 14:42:11

by Pavel Roskin

Subject: Re: [ath9k-devel] is nl80211 being used now?

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 01:09:51 +0800
pangyunong <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I see something in
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/developers/Documentation/nl80211
>
> it said nl80211 still be under development. does the current version
> we use use nl80211 already?

You are writing to a wrong mailing list. The ath9k-devel list is
about specific hardware from Atheros. This question belongs to the list
about Linux wireless subsystem, [email protected], so I'm
copying your message there.

Yes, nl80211 is used by all drivers supporting cfg80211, which includes
mac80211 based drivers and some other drivers (orinoco, I believe,
although it's not supported well).

The wording on the nl80211 page needs fixing, as it leaves a wrong
impression that nl80211 is some new immature project. But the actual
text is probably correct. nl80211 is new, it's developed, it's a
replacement for Wireless Extensions.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough knowledge of the state of nl80211 to
rewrite the page. But it needs to be improved.

Pavel Roskin