2011-10-27 09:46:09

by David Goodenough

Subject: does the creation of a mesh interface trigger a udev event?

When I create a mesh interface:-

iw dev wlan0 interface add mesh0 type mp ...

does a device creation event appear through udev? Similarly while
the creation of wlan0 for a wireless card does create such an event,
do the monitor interfaces and phy's also create such events?

As far as I can see they do not, but I may be wrong - I may just be
listening for them wrongly. If they do, any clues as to how to spot
them?

I ask for two reasons:-

1) It would seem consistent if they did.

2) For a configuration system like the one Debian uses, it is those
events that cause configuration to happen and so it would be easier
to configure things like a mesh network if the events occur.

David