2011-11-22 10:44:36

by Jan Dvořák

Subject: rtl8192cu not working with Edimax EW-7811Un

Hi,

I have Edimax EW-7811Un USB dongle.

The reason I purchased it was that I needed as small close-range AP to
connect my laptop to my work PC. Now, I have not managed to make it even
connect as client.

I have attached various logs and information about the HW from when I
was attempting to use it as AP. The client kept repeating

wlan0: authenticate with 00:1f:1f:e4:5b:67 (try 1)
wlan0: authenticated
wlan0: waiting for beacon from 00:1f:1f:e4:5b:67

over and over, but never really connected.

Can you give me some advice on how to debug this? Where can I create a
formal bug report, with kernel bugzilla down?

Oh, this is with 3.1.0-5.fc16.x86_64 (Fedora 16).

Thanks for your help,
Jan Dvorak

Attachments:
dmesg.txt (2.04 kB)
hostapd.conf (191.00 B)
hostapd.txt (2.48 kB)
iw-phy0-info.txt (2.87 kB)
lsusb-v.txt (3.13 kB)

by Jan Dvořák

Subject: Re: rtl8192cu not working with Edimax EW-7811Un

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 10:59:35 -0600
Larry Finger <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm trying to find the differences between the data flow in rt2800usb and rtl8192cu.

I'll try debug mode at home.

Best regards,
Jan Dvorak

2011-11-24 15:40:43

by Larry Finger

On 11/24/2011 07:03 AM, Jan Dvořák wrote:

>> When I try it, I get rtl8192cu to beacon, and it is possible to authenticate and
>> associate, but the second computer never gets an IP number.
>
> Even without DHCP, no traffic ever comes through. Plus from here it looks like
> the client is reconnecting (quickly, let's say once per 5s) to no end.
>
> So, how do I debug this properly? Can I turn on some kind of verbose mode?
> Is there a way to sniff the communication (kismet or something)?

You could look at what the device is putting on the air with kismet or
wireshark. Another option would be to see the flow through the driver by loading
the driver with the debug option. The maximum debug level of 5 is likely too
much output, but using 4 should be OK. You need a recent kernel to use this
option. I'm not sure if it is in 3.1 or not. Use 'modinfo rtl8192cu' to see the
module parameter list.

Larry

2011-11-24 16:59:38

by Larry Finger

I was able to form an AP using my RT2870 device, thus my script is OK.

I'm trying to find the differences between the data flow in rt2800usb and rtl8192cu.

Larry

2011-11-23 15:40:30

by Larry Finger

On 11/23/2011 09:24 AM, Jan Dvořák wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 15:33:05 +0100
> Stanislaw Gruszka<[email protected]> wrote:
>> Another kernel to test :-)
>> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=3534603
>
> OK, I have no idea if this is because of the new kernel, but
> client mode works. I can't still use hostapd, however.
>
> So, in hope this does not get old too soon, any ideas? :-)

Stanislaw,

What patches did you put in that koji kernel? I'm not a Fedora user, and I'm not
sure what base that Jan started with and what updates were needed.

I know that the initial driver had a problem connecting to 802.11n-only
channels, but this was fixed in wireless-testing some time ago. Is this the patch?

Thanks,

Larry

2011-11-23 16:52:17

by Jan Dvořák

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 16:51:09 +0100
Stanislaw Gruszka <[email protected]> wrote:
> Could you confirm that on previous kernel client mode does not
> work, and work with that new kernel?

I'll try it when I get home or first thing yesterday.

> > I can't still use hostapd, however.
> Hmm, I'm not sure if rtl92c works in AP mode, Larry?

The iw says it should.

> > >So, in hope this does not get old too soon, any ideas? :-)
> Eeee..., I do not understed this question.

Never mind.

Best regards,
Jan Dvorak

2011-11-24 13:03:57

by Jan Dvořák

> >> Hmm, I'm not sure if rtl92c works in AP mode, Larry?
>
> When I try it, I get rtl8192cu to beacon, and it is possible to authenticate and
> associate, but the second computer never gets an IP number.

Even without DHCP, no traffic ever comes through. Plus from here it looks like
the client is reconnecting (quickly, let's say once per 5s) to no end.

So, how do I debug this properly? Can I turn on some kind of verbose mode?
Is there a way to sniff the communication (kismet or something)?

Best regards,
Jan Dvorak

2011-11-22 13:59:07

by Stanislaw Gruszka

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 11:34:27AM +0100, Jan Dvořák wrote:
> Oh, this is with 3.1.0-5.fc16.x86_64 (Fedora 16).
Try 3.1.1-1 or newer from koji:
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=8

Stanislaw

2011-11-23 15:24:28

by Jan Dvořák

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 15:33:05 +0100
Stanislaw Gruszka <[email protected]> wrote:
> Another kernel to test :-)
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=3534603

OK, I have no idea if this is because of the new kernel, but
client mode works. I can't still use hostapd, however.

So, in hope this does not get old too soon, any ideas? :-)

Thanks for your help and patience,
Jan Dvorak

2011-11-23 14:30:34

by Stanislaw Gruszka

Hello,

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 11:23:01AM +0100, Jan Dvořák wrote:
> Thank you for your time. The problem persists with 3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64.
> Anything else comes to mind?

Another kernel to test :-)

Thanks
Stanislaw

2011-11-23 15:48:39

by Stanislaw Gruszka

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 09:40:00AM -0600, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 11/23/2011 09:24 AM, Jan Dvořák wrote:
> >>http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=3534603
> >
> >OK, I have no idea if this is because of the new kernel, but
> >client mode works.
Could you confirm that on previous kernel client mode does not
work, and work with that new kernel?

> I can't still use hostapd, however.
Hmm, I'm not sure if rtl92c works in AP mode, Larry?

> >So, in hope this does not get old too soon, any ideas? :-)
Eeee..., I do not understed this question.

> What patches did you put in that koji kernel?

Full revert of:

commit b23b025fe246f3acc2988eb6d400df34c27cb8ae
Author: Ben Greear <[email protected]>
Date: Fri Feb 4 11:54:17 2011 -0800

mac80211: Optimize scans on current operating channel.

> I know that the initial driver had a problem connecting to
> 802.11n-only channels, but this was fixed in wireless-testing some
> time ago. Is this the patch?
No.

Thanks
Stanislaw

2011-11-23 10:23:03

by Jan Dvořák

Hi,

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 15:01:40 +0100
Stanislaw Gruszka <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 11:34:27AM +0100, Jan Dvořák wrote:
> > Oh, this is with 3.1.0-5.fc16.x86_64 (Fedora 16).
> Try 3.1.1-1 or newer from koji:
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=8

Thank you for your time. The problem persists with 3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64.
Anything else comes to mind?

Thanks for help,
Jan Dvorak

2011-11-23 18:41:38

by Larry Finger

On 11/23/2011 10:52 AM, Jan Dvořák wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 16:51:09 +0100
> Stanislaw Gruszka<[email protected]> wrote:
>> Could you confirm that on previous kernel client mode does not
>> work, and work with that new kernel?
>
> I'll try it when I get home or first thing yesterday.
>
>>> I can't still use hostapd, however.
>> Hmm, I'm not sure if rtl92c works in AP mode, Larry?

When I try it, I get rtl8192cu to beacon, and it is possible to authenticate and
associate, but the second computer never gets an IP number. I think my script to
set up dhcpd is faulty, but I cannot find the problem. I attached it - perhaps
one of you can find what I'm doing wrong. BTW, the script also fails when I try
to use b43 as an AP, and I know it works.

Larry

Attachments:
control_ap (3.15 kB)