2012-10-23 20:51:46

by Larry Finger

Subject: Driver for USB device with ID 050d:615a

Arend and Franky,

I recently purchased a Belkin N600 DB USB dongle on Ebay. I wanted to get the
model with a Realtek RTL8192DU chip. Instead I got a version with a Broadcom
chip, which lsusb identifies as

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 050d:615a Belkin Components F7D4101 / F9L1101 802.11abgn
Wireless Adapter [Broadcom BCM4323]

I have since acquired a different device with the Realtek chip, thus I could
return the Belkin device; however, the cost was minimal and I will keep it if
there is a driver for it. Is it a brcmfmac device that is not yet in the device
tables, or is it some other sort of unit that may never be supported under Linux?

Thanks,

Larry

2012-10-24 13:59:37

by Larry Finger

Subject: Re: Driver for USB device with ID 050d:615a

On 10/24/2012 06:01 AM, Arend van Spriel wrote:
> On 10/23/2012 10:51 PM, Larry Finger wrote:
>> Arend and Franky,
>>
>> I recently purchased a Belkin N600 DB USB dongle on Ebay. I wanted to
>> get the model with a Realtek RTL8192DU chip. Instead I got a version
>> with a Broadcom chip, which lsusb identifies as
>>
>> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 050d:615a Belkin Components F7D4101 / F9L1101
>> 802.11abgn Wireless Adapter [Broadcom BCM4323]
>>
>> I have since acquired a different device with the Realtek chip, thus I
>> could return the Belkin device; however, the cost was minimal and I will
>> keep it if there is a driver for it. Is it a brcmfmac device that is not
>> yet in the device tables, or is it some other sort of unit that may
>> never be supported under Linux?
>
> Hi Larry,
>
> I went digging and this chip requires a different driver model (basically a
> split stack between host and dongle). This model is being abandoned for newer
> chips so we decided not to support it in mainline linux.

Thanks for the info. I will try to return the device.

Larry

2012-10-24 16:35:57

by Arend van Spriel

On 10/24/2012 06:04 PM, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> 2012/10/24 Arend van Spriel <[email protected]>:
>> On 10/23/2012 10:51 PM, Larry Finger wrote:
>>>
>>> Arend and Franky,
>>>
>>> I recently purchased a Belkin N600 DB USB dongle on Ebay. I wanted to
>>> get the model with a Realtek RTL8192DU chip. Instead I got a version
>>> with a Broadcom chip, which lsusb identifies as
>>>
>>> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 050d:615a Belkin Components F7D4101 / F9L1101
>>> 802.11abgn Wireless Adapter [Broadcom BCM4323]
>>>
>>> I have since acquired a different device with the Realtek chip, thus It
>>> could return the Belkin device; however, the cost was minimal and I will
>>> keep it if there is a driver for it. Is it a brcmfmac device that is not
>>> yet in the device tables, or is it some other sort of unit that may
>>> never be supported under Linux?
>>

>> Hi Larry,
>>
>> I went digging and this chip requires a different driver model (basically a
>> split stack between host and dongle). This model is being abandoned for
>> newer chips so we decided not to support it in mainline linux.
>
> What do you think about listing not supported chipsets on your
> brcm80211 wiki page? Thay way users will get clear overview of this
> situation. I think I already heard similar answer about BCM43236 V2
> (found by Hauke in his router).

It has been suggested before (by you if I recall correctly). Howeverm
the number of chip programs is extensive and it is hard to find out
which went into production and are available to end-users. So we decided
only list what we know.

> Btw. your http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/brcm80211
> doesn't say anything about BCM43143, which (I believe) is supported by
> brcmfmac.
> Oh and one more thing: I believe putting minimal kernel version
> requires is also a good idea. Something like:
> "BCM43143 - supported since 3.123"

The bcm43143 (and bcm43242) support is in the driver, but the firmware
for these chips have not been released yet. With that I mean not
released at all so we can not submit any firmware for those chips to the
linux-firmware git repository. Consequently, it does not make sense to
list them on wireless.kernel.org.

Thanks for the kernel version suggestion. I will add that info although
there is always compat-wireless...eh...compat-drivers ;-)

Gr. AvS

2012-10-24 11:01:34

by Arend van Spriel

On 10/23/2012 10:51 PM, Larry Finger wrote:
> Arend and Franky,
>
> I recently purchased a Belkin N600 DB USB dongle on Ebay. I wanted to
> get the model with a Realtek RTL8192DU chip. Instead I got a version
> with a Broadcom chip, which lsusb identifies as
>
> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 050d:615a Belkin Components F7D4101 / F9L1101
> 802.11abgn Wireless Adapter [Broadcom BCM4323]
>
> I have since acquired a different device with the Realtek chip, thus I
> could return the Belkin device; however, the cost was minimal and I will
> keep it if there is a driver for it. Is it a brcmfmac device that is not
> yet in the device tables, or is it some other sort of unit that may
> never be supported under Linux?

Hi Larry,

I went digging and this chip requires a different driver model
(basically a split stack between host and dongle). This model is being
abandoned for newer chips so we decided not to support it in mainline linux.

Gr. AvS

2012-10-24 16:05:00

by Rafał Miłecki

--
Rafał

2012-12-16 01:54:16

by Stefan Lippers-Hollmann

Subject: Realtek RTL8192DU

Hi

On Tuesday 23 October 2012, Larry Finger wrote:
> Arend and Franky,
>
> I recently purchased a Belkin N600 DB USB dongle on Ebay. I wanted to get the
> model with a Realtek RTL8192DU chip.
[…]
> I have since acquired a different device with the Realtek chip, thus I could
> return the Belkin device;
[…]

As I just got hold of a Realtek RTL8192DU device (DeLock 88540[1]), I'm
curious if you had a go with a driver for this chipset. The vendor
driver seems to have issues with 64 bit operation (and kernel 3.7).

usb 3-1.1: new high-speed USB device number 6 using ehci_hcd
usb 3-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8194
usb 3-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 3-1.1: Product: 802.11n NIC
usb 3-1.1: Manufacturer: Realtek
usb 3-1.1: SerialNumber: 00e04c000001

Regards
Stefan Lippers-Hollmann

[1] http://www.delock.com/produkte/G_88540/merkmale.html?setLanguage=en

2012-12-16 04:00:29

by Larry Finger

Subject: Re: Realtek RTL8192DU

On 12/15/2012 07:54 PM, Stefan Lippers-Hollmann wrote:

> As I just got hold of a Realtek RTL8192DU device (DeLock 88540[1]), I'm
> curious if you had a go with a driver for this chipset. The vendor
> driver seems to have issues with 64 bit operation (and kernel 3.7).
>
> usb 3-1.1: new high-speed USB device number 6 using ehci_hcd
> usb 3-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8194
> usb 3-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
> usb 3-1.1: Product: 802.11n NIC
> usb 3-1.1: Manufacturer: Realtek
> usb 3-1.1: SerialNumber: 00e04c000001

Stefan,

I have made some progress with the driver merged into staging. In addition, I
have fixed the problems with 64-bit operation and the lack of kernel_thread() in
3.7 for driver rtl8192DU_linux_v4.0.0_5260.20120921. As I'm not sure the list
wants to get the patch, I'll send it separately via private email.

Your tests will be useful as my device has USB ID 0bda:8193.

Larry