2013-04-03 13:44:53

by Johannes Berg

Subject: Re: mac80211_hwsim driver attribute

Martin,

> /sys/class/net/wlan0/device/driver -> ../../../../bus/pci/drivers/iwlwifi
>
> But /sys/class/net/wlan1/device/ only has the default "uevent" and
> subsystem link.

I suspect this is because there's no real "device", and therefore no
real driver.

We do play with device_create() in hwsim, which was likely intended to
address something like this, but I have no idea how this should really
work.

johannes

2013-04-08 09:08:48

by Martin Pitt

Hello Johannes,

Johannes Berg [2013-04-03 15:44 +0200]:
> Martin,
>
> > /sys/class/net/wlan0/device/driver -> ../../../../bus/pci/drivers/iwlwifi
> >
> > But /sys/class/net/wlan1/device/ only has the default "uevent" and
> > subsystem link.
>
> I suspect this is because there's no real "device", and therefore no
> real driver.

There are real devices (wlan0, wlan1, etc.); there is also a real
driver (mac80211_hwsim), the only thing that's a bit tricky is that
there is no real bus. My impression is that such devices might belong
to /sys/bus/platform/ ?

> We do play with device_create() in hwsim, which was likely intended to
> address something like this, but I have no idea how this should really
> work.

I figured it out, it works well now. I'll send the patch to the
lists/maintainers, and CC: Dan and you.

Thanks,

Martin
--