2013-07-09 08:47:40

by Hendrik-Jan Heins

Subject: intel 4965 fails to set channel 12 or 13

Dear list,

On Debian Wheezy, kernel 3.2, I am trying to get my iwl4965 to
scan/find/connect on channels 13 and 13. As I am in Europe, this
should be no issue.
However: I can not get these channels activated on my card at all!
I tried the following:
- Using the regdom option, setting to EU, DE, or PL (I see the correct
setting in /sys/modules/cfg80211/parameters/ieee_regdom...
- Completely disabling CRDA, and manually loading regdom through iw
reg set EU/DE/PL/US

In all cases, I see some changes in the channels listed, but I never
get 12 and 13 enabled.

Does anyone has an idea on this?

thanks,

Hendrik-Jan

2013-07-10 07:55:47

by Stanislaw Gruszka

Subject: Re: intel 4965 fails to set channel 12 or 13

On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 08:00:19PM +0200, Hendrik-Jan Heins wrote:
> Frequencies:
> * 2412 MHz [1] (14.0 dBm)
> * 2417 MHz [2] (14.0 dBm)
> * 2422 MHz [3] (14.0 dBm)
> * 2427 MHz [4] (14.0 dBm)
> * 2432 MHz [5] (14.0 dBm)
> * 2437 MHz [6] (14.0 dBm)
> * 2442 MHz [7] (14.0 dBm)
> * 2447 MHz [8] (14.0 dBm)
> * 2452 MHz [9] (14.0 dBm)
> * 2457 MHz [10] (14.0 dBm)
> * 2462 MHz [11] (14.0 dBm)
> Bitrates (non-HT):

Your device does not support channels 12 & 13. This limit is coded
in device EEPROM. Is not possible to workaround that in driver or
user space, as (closed source) firmware will force EEPROM regulatory
limits.

Stanislaw

2013-07-09 14:10:28

by Stanislaw Gruszka

On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 10:47:37AM +0200, Hendrik-Jan Heins wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> On Debian Wheezy, kernel 3.2, I am trying to get my iwl4965 to
> scan/find/connect on channels 13 and 13. As I am in Europe, this
> should be no issue.
> However: I can not get these channels activated on my card at all!
> I tried the following:
> - Using the regdom option, setting to EU, DE, or PL (I see the correct
> setting in /sys/modules/cfg80211/parameters/ieee_regdom...
> - Completely disabling CRDA, and manually loading regdom through iw
> reg set EU/DE/PL/US
>
> In all cases, I see some changes in the channels listed, but I never
> get 12 and 13 enabled.
>
> Does anyone has an idea on this?

Please provide output of "iw phy" and "iw dev wlan0 scan".

Stanislaw

2013-07-09 18:00:21

by Hendrik-Jan Heins

As attached the requested output.

best regards,

Hendrik-Jan

2013/7/9 Stanislaw Gruszka <[email protected]>:
> On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 10:47:37AM +0200, Hendrik-Jan Heins wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> On Debian Wheezy, kernel 3.2, I am trying to get my iwl4965 to
>> scan/find/connect on channels 13 and 13. As I am in Europe, this
>> should be no issue.
>> However: I can not get these channels activated on my card at all!
>> I tried the following:
>> - Using the regdom option, setting to EU, DE, or PL (I see the correct
>> setting in /sys/modules/cfg80211/parameters/ieee_regdom...
>> - Completely disabling CRDA, and manually loading regdom through iw
>> reg set EU/DE/PL/US
>>
>> In all cases, I see some changes in the channels listed, but I never
>> get 12 and 13 enabled.
>>
>> Does anyone has an idea on this?
>
> Please provide output of "iw phy" and "iw dev wlan0 scan".
>
> Stanislaw

Attachments:
iwdevwlan0scan.txt (19.08 kB)
iwphy.txt (4.10 kB)