2014-08-16 20:24:45

by Bruno Prémont

Subject: iwlwifi: fix Kconfig issues breaks CONFIG_MODULES=n

Hi,

The commit ae7486a2b734ee03 (iwlwifi: fix Kconfig issues) in 3.17-rc1
breaks iwlwifi for kernels built without support for modules
(CONFIG_MODULES=n).

It changes the dependencies of IWLDVM and IWLMVM from
depends on IWLWIFI
depends on m
(while enclosing the whole set of options in 'if IWLWIFI').

Why that dependency on 'm' for apparently mandatory feature of the driver
(without DVM and MVM, Kconfig comment says
"WARNING: iwlwifi is useless without IWLDVM or IWLMVM"

Up until 3.16 it was very well possible to operate iwlwifi built-in
in a kernel without support for modules, either by building firmware
into the kernel, or as needed re-binding the driver to the PCI device
once filesystems were mounted.

Removing those two 'depend on m' iwlwifi works fine for a 7260
wireless card.

Bruno

2014-08-17 03:17:39

by Emmanuel Grumbach

On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 4:15 PM, Bruno Prémont
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The commit ae7486a2b734ee03 (iwlwifi: fix Kconfig issues) in 3.17-rc1
> breaks iwlwifi for kernels built without support for modules
> (CONFIG_MODULES=n).
>
> It changes the dependencies of IWLDVM and IWLMVM from
> depends on IWLWIFI
> depends on m
> (while enclosing the whole set of options in 'if IWLWIFI').
>

> Why that dependency on 'm' for apparently mandatory feature of the driver
> (without DVM and MVM, Kconfig comment says
> "WARNING: iwlwifi is useless without IWLDVM or IWLMVM"
>

> Up until 3.16 it was very well possible to operate iwlwifi built-in
> in a kernel without support for modules, either by building firmware
> into the kernel, or as needed re-binding the driver to the PCI device
> once filesystems were mounted.
>
> Removing those two 'depend on m' iwlwifi works fine for a 7260
> wireless card.

I know - you are not the first to report that - I have already 2
versions of the exact same patch fixing this.
But I am currently travelling and I'll handle later.