2015-02-12 12:17:44

by Johannes Löthberg

Subject: rtl8192ce kernel panics since 3.17(?)

Since sometime around version 3.16 or 3.17 I've been getting a lot of
occasional kernel panics related to my wifi driver. My laptop has a
Realtek RTL8188CE wireless card and uses the rtl8192ce driver.

I have pictures of what I think is two identical kernel panics, a couple
of days apart:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/yjwOnrDmioCwuC8FqIXlKMiBTOXddLyJkWTiInJoX2o=w421-h569-no
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xM-1wSsVu4c/VKxDnlkgBbI/AAAAAAAAIng/HxtqgHgglHY/w421-h569-no/IMG_20150106_212020.jpg

It only seems to happen when I have several days of uptime on my laptop
and just use sleep all the time instead of shutting it down.

Also I have a picture of a kernel panic that is different from the
previous ones:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Hj06Csglpa0/VKrI1al6QbI/AAAAAAAAImk/VzhmN-dfSB0/w657-h486-no/IMG_20150105_182236.jpg

Not sure how to debug it really, but figured that sending in a report
would be worth a shot.

[Note: I'm not subscribed to the ML, so please CC me in replies.]

--
Sincerely,
Johannes Löthberg

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.09 kB)
(No filename) (1.46 kB)

by Johannes Löthberg

Subject: Re: rtl8192ce kernel panics since 3.17(?)

On 12/02, Larry Finger wrote:
>On 02/12/2015 06:10 AM, Johannes Löthberg wrote:
>>Since sometime around version 3.16 or 3.17 I've been getting a lot of occasional
>>kernel panics related to my wifi driver. My laptop has a Realtek RTL8188CE
>>wireless card and uses the rtl8192ce driver.
>>
>>I have pictures of what I think is two identical kernel panics, a couple of days
>>apart:
>>
>>https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/yjwOnrDmioCwuC8FqIXlKMiBTOXddLyJkWTiInJoX2o=w421-h569-no
>>
>>https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xM-1wSsVu4c/VKxDnlkgBbI/AAAAAAAAIng/HxtqgHgglHY/w421-h569-no/IMG_20150106_212020.jpg
>>

>>It only seems to happen when I have several days of uptime on my laptop and just
>>use sleep all the time instead of shutting it down.
>>
>>Also I have a picture of a kernel panic that is different from the previous ones:
>>
>>https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Hj06Csglpa0/VKrI1al6QbI/AAAAAAAAImk/VzhmN-dfSB0/w657-h486-no/IMG_20150105_182236.jpg
>>

>>Not sure how to debug it really, but figured that sending in a report would be
>>worth a shot.
>>

>What kernel were you running when you made the photos? Use the command
>'uname -r'. When I get that information, I can then use the dump trace
>to determine the locations of the oops.
>
>Larry

For the first photo it was 3.18.3 and for the second one it seems like
it should be 3.18.1 from looking at my package manager's log.

--
Sincerely,
Johannes Löthberg
PGP Key ID: 0x50FB9B273A9D0BB5
https://theos.kyriasis.com/~kyrias/

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.47 kB)
(No filename) (1.46 kB)

by Johannes Löthberg

On 12/02, Larry Finger wrote:
>OK, that makes more sense than your original report of problems
>starting with 3.16 or 3.17. That bug was fixed in 3.18.4.

Well, I'm rather sure that I had some panics in 3.17 due to it, but I
have no photographic evidence anymore alas. And d'oh, should have tried
a newer kernel before sending it in, was meaning to report it for a
while but never ended up to, sorry.

Any idea about the third kernel panic photo?

--
Sincerely,
Johannes Löthberg
PGP Key ID: 0x50FB9B273A9D0BB5
https://theos.kyriasis.com/~kyrias/

Attachments:
(No filename) (561.00 B)
(No filename) (1.46 kB)

by Larry Finger

On 02/12/2015 11:27 AM, Johannes Löthberg wrote:
> On 12/02, Larry Finger wrote:
>> On 02/12/2015 06:10 AM, Johannes Löthberg wrote:
>>> Since sometime around version 3.16 or 3.17 I've been getting a lot of occasional
>>> kernel panics related to my wifi driver. My laptop has a Realtek RTL8188CE
>>> wireless card and uses the rtl8192ce driver.
>>>
>>> I have pictures of what I think is two identical kernel panics, a couple of days
>>> apart:
>>>
>>> https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/yjwOnrDmioCwuC8FqIXlKMiBTOXddLyJkWTiInJoX2o=w421-h569-no
>>>

>>> https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xM-1wSsVu4c/VKxDnlkgBbI/AAAAAAAAIng/HxtqgHgglHY/w421-h569-no/IMG_20150106_212020.jpg
>>>

>>> It only seems to happen when I have several days of uptime on my laptop and just
>>> use sleep all the time instead of shutting it down.
>>>
>>> Also I have a picture of a kernel panic that is different from the previous
>>> ones:
>>>
>>> https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Hj06Csglpa0/VKrI1al6QbI/AAAAAAAAImk/VzhmN-dfSB0/w657-h486-no/IMG_20150105_182236.jpg
>>>

>>> Not sure how to debug it really, but figured that sending in a report would be
>>> worth a shot.
>>>

>> What kernel were you running when you made the photos? Use the command 'uname
>> -r'. When I get that information, I can then use the dump trace to determine
>> the locations of the oops.
>>
>> Larry
>>

> For the first photo it was 3.18.3 and for the second one it seems like it should
> be 3.18.1 from looking at my package manager's log.

OK, that makes more sense than your original report of problems starting with
3.16 or 3.17. That bug was fixed in 3.18.4.

Larry

2015-02-12 16:38:34

by Larry Finger

On 02/12/2015 06:10 AM, Johannes Löthberg wrote:
> Since sometime around version 3.16 or 3.17 I've been getting a lot of occasional
> kernel panics related to my wifi driver. My laptop has a Realtek RTL8188CE
> wireless card and uses the rtl8192ce driver.
>
> I have pictures of what I think is two identical kernel panics, a couple of days
> apart:
>
> https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/yjwOnrDmioCwuC8FqIXlKMiBTOXddLyJkWTiInJoX2o=w421-h569-no
>
> https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xM-1wSsVu4c/VKxDnlkgBbI/AAAAAAAAIng/HxtqgHgglHY/w421-h569-no/IMG_20150106_212020.jpg
>

> It only seems to happen when I have several days of uptime on my laptop and just
> use sleep all the time instead of shutting it down.
>
> Also I have a picture of a kernel panic that is different from the previous ones:
>
> https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Hj06Csglpa0/VKrI1al6QbI/AAAAAAAAImk/VzhmN-dfSB0/w657-h486-no/IMG_20150105_182236.jpg
>

> Not sure how to debug it really, but figured that sending in a report would be
> worth a shot.

What kernel were you running when you made the photos? Use the command 'uname
-r'. When I get that information, I can then use the dump trace to determine the
locations of the oops.

Larry

2015-02-12 22:51:14

by Larry Finger

On 02/12/2015 03:54 PM, Johannes Löthberg wrote:
> On 12/02, Larry Finger wrote:
>> OK, that makes more sense than your original report of problems starting with
>> 3.16 or 3.17. That bug was fixed in 3.18.4.
>>

> Well, I'm rather sure that I had some panics in 3.17 due to it, but I have no
> photographic evidence anymore alas. And d'oh, should have tried a newer kernel
> before sending it in, was meaning to report it for a while but never ended up
> to, sorry.
>
> Any idea about the third kernel panic photo?

Trying to trace it back on my kernel leads to a nonsense location. If it happens
again, capture the trace as you did, then find the location in one of the rtl*
routines that crashed. In the picture you sent, that is
"_rtl_pci_interrupt+0x3d0" and that is in rtl_pci. To find the code section that
crashed, start in the kernel source directory and do the following:

gdb drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtl_pci.ko
l *_rtl_pci_interrupt+0x3d0
quit

Adjust the driver and location to match the new crash. Send me the output of the
"l" command.

Larry