2015-03-14 19:54:04

by Arend van Spriel

Subject: Re: Broadcom 43340

+ linux-wireless

On 03/14/15 20:27, Ochal Christophe wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>
> On 03/14/2015 08:12 PM, Arend van Spriel wrote:
>> The nvram file is board specific and so Asus should be able to provide
>> that. What OS does Asus provide on this eee book? The firmware file
>> will be submitted to linux-firmware soon, but in the mean time you can
>> also find it in Android repository [1]. Just rename the file
>> fw_43341.bin to brcmfmac43340-sdio.bin.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Arend
>>
>> [1]
>> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/hardware/broadcom/wlan/+/master/bcmdhd/firmware/bcm43341/
>>

> Thank you for the link, the Asus eebook x205ta comes with Windows 8.1,
> no idea how I'm going to get Asus to deliver that nvram, but at least
> I'm halfway there now, the firmware loads correctly.

For Windows 8.1 the nvram file is stored in EFI variable space. This is
accessible in Linux as well. If I recall correctly it should be in
/sys/firmware/efi/efivars. There should be a file named nvram-*. Copy
that to /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43340-sdio.txt.

Regards,
Arend

2015-03-14 20:07:38

by Ochal Christophe

Dear Sir,

On 03/14/2015 08:54 PM, Arend van Spriel wrote:
> For Windows 8.1 the nvram file is stored in EFI variable space. This
> is accessible in Linux as well. If I recall correctly it should be in
> /sys/firmware/efi/efivars. There should be a file named nvram-*. Copy
> that to /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43340-sdio.txt.

Okay.... Kind of wish I knew that a few hours ago before I formatted the
thing :)
I'll see if I can either reinstall Windows on it (somehow) or find
someone with the same machine, I'm getting close to get pretty much
everything running

If I can get the file, should I send it to you?

With kind regards,
Christophe Ochal

2015-03-14 22:13:55

by Ochal Christophe

All,

On 03/14/2015 09:39 PM, Stefan Lippers-Hollmann wrote:
> You don't need to run windows for that, the nvram (calibration data,
> probably the MAC address and related device specific data) is stored
> in your mainboard's firmware - and exposed to userspace (under linux)
> via /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/. You just need to identify the correct
> file and copy it to a place where linux expects to find it
> (/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43340-sdio.txt). Regards Stefan
> Lippers-Hollmann

Thanks for the hint, that did it, I'm online!

With Kind Regards,
Christophe Ochal

2015-03-14 20:45:18

by Stefan Lippers-Hollmann

Hi

On 2015-03-14, Ochal Christophe wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>
> On 03/14/2015 08:54 PM, Arend van Spriel wrote:
> > For Windows 8.1 the nvram file is stored in EFI variable space. This
> > is accessible in Linux as well. If I recall correctly it should be in
> > /sys/firmware/efi/efivars. There should be a file named nvram-*. Copy
> > that to /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43340-sdio.txt.
> >
> Okay.... Kind of wish I knew that a few hours ago before I formatted the
> thing :)
> I'll see if I can either reinstall Windows on it (somehow) or find
> someone with the same machine, I'm getting close to get pretty much
> everything running

You don't need to run windows for that, the nvram (calibration data,
probably the MAC address and related device specific data) is stored in
your mainboard's firmware - and exposed to userspace (under linux) via
/sys/firmware/efi/efivars/. You just need to identify the correct file
and copy it to a place where linux expects to find it
(/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43340-sdio.txt).

Regards
Stefan Lippers-Hollmann

2015-03-15 11:37:34

by Arend van Spriel

On 03/14/15 23:13, Ochal Christophe wrote:
> All,
>
> On 03/14/2015 09:39 PM, Stefan Lippers-Hollmann wrote:
>> You don't need to run windows for that, the nvram (calibration data,
>> probably the MAC address and related device specific data) is stored
>> in your mainboard's firmware - and exposed to userspace (under linux)
>> via /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/. You just need to identify the correct
>> file and copy it to a place where linux expects to find it
>> (/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43340-sdio.txt). Regards Stefan
>> Lippers-Hollmann
>
> Thanks for the hint, that did it, I'm online!

Apparently my hint was not clear enough. Good to hear it works for you.

Regards,
Arend