2015-12-16 17:32:28

by Bob Copeland

Subject: [ANNOUNCE] New location for wireless-testing tree

As reported previously[1], John Linville will be moving on from maintenance
of the wireless-testing[2] tree at the end of the year. A huge thank you to
John for doing all this work for so many years!

We now have a shared wireless directory on kernel.org where we (currently
myself and Kalle as backup) will continue to maintain this tree going
forward. The new tree can be found at:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/wireless/wireless-testing.git

Note: unlike John's tree, we are going to try rebasing this tree on every
build (like linux-next) instead of merging the downstream trees, in order
to avoid certain merge problems when those trees are rebased.

This means that if you are working directly off of wireless-testing, use
'git pull --rebase' to sync, instead of just 'git pull'.

We'll see how this goes and reassess after a couple of cycles.

Please let me know of any issues.

[1] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/145291

[2] wireless-testing is an integration testing tree, consisting of:

* Linus's latest -rc
* patches in mac80211 and wireless-drivers (for the upcoming release)
* patches in mac80211-next and wireless-drivers-next (for the next release)

It is not pulled into any upstream tree, but it should be a pretty good
indication of what is baking in Linux wireless for the next release, without
having unrelated changes from all the other subsystems as in linux-next.

--
Bob Copeland %% http://bobcopeland.com/

2015-12-17 16:00:17

by John W. Linville

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 12:32:23PM -0500, Bob Copeland wrote:
> As reported previously[1], John Linville will be moving on from maintenance
> of the wireless-testing[2] tree at the end of the year. A huge thank you to
> John for doing all this work for so many years!
>
> We now have a shared wireless directory on kernel.org where we (currently
> myself and Kalle as backup) will continue to maintain this tree going
> forward. The new tree can be found at:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/wireless/wireless-testing.git
>
> Note: unlike John's tree, we are going to try rebasing this tree on every
> build (like linux-next) instead of merging the downstream trees, in order
> to avoid certain merge problems when those trees are rebased.
>
> This means that if you are working directly off of wireless-testing, use
> 'git pull --rebase' to sync, instead of just 'git pull'.
>
> We'll see how this goes and reassess after a couple of cycles.
>
> Please let me know of any issues.
>
> [1] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/145291
>
> [2] wireless-testing is an integration testing tree, consisting of:
>
> * Linus's latest -rc
> * patches in mac80211 and wireless-drivers (for the upcoming release)
> * patches in mac80211-next and wireless-drivers-next (for the next release)
>
> It is not pulled into any upstream tree, but it should be a pretty good
> indication of what is baking in Linux wireless for the next release, without
> having unrelated changes from all the other subsystems as in linux-next.

Given this most welcome announcement, I will hereby cease maintenance
of the predecessor wireless-testing tree in favor of this new
canonical source.

Thanks guys!

John
--
John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you
[email protected] might be all we have. Be ready.

2015-12-17 17:41:32

by Emmanuel Grumbach

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 5:56 PM, John W. Linville
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 12:32:23PM -0500, Bob Copeland wrote:
>> As reported previously[1], John Linville will be moving on from maintenance
>> of the wireless-testing[2] tree at the end of the year. A huge thank you to
>> John for doing all this work for so many years!
>>
>> We now have a shared wireless directory on kernel.org where we (currently
>> myself and Kalle as backup) will continue to maintain this tree going
>> forward. The new tree can be found at:
>>
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/wireless/wireless-testing.git
>>
>> Note: unlike John's tree, we are going to try rebasing this tree on every
>> build (like linux-next) instead of merging the downstream trees, in order
>> to avoid certain merge problems when those trees are rebased.
>>
>> This means that if you are working directly off of wireless-testing, use
>> 'git pull --rebase' to sync, instead of just 'git pull'.
>>
>> We'll see how this goes and reassess after a couple of cycles.
>>
>> Please let me know of any issues.
>>
>> [1] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/145291
>>
>> [2] wireless-testing is an integration testing tree, consisting of:
>>
>> * Linus's latest -rc
>> * patches in mac80211 and wireless-drivers (for the upcoming release)
>> * patches in mac80211-next and wireless-drivers-next (for the next release)
>>
>> It is not pulled into any upstream tree, but it should be a pretty good
>> indication of what is baking in Linux wireless for the next release, without
>> having unrelated changes from all the other subsystems as in linux-next.
>
> Given this most welcome announcement, I will hereby cease maintenance
> of the predecessor wireless-testing tree in favor of this new
> canonical source.

Somewhat related. I started a while ago to mirror our internal
development tree to korg. You'll find there the bleeding edge of
iwlwifi's development: both fixes and new features. It is a backport
based tree. Pretty much all the patches for mac80211{-next}.git that
we (Intel) send come from there as well. Note that this is the "raw
data" (including Change-IDs and server that are inside Intel's
intranet) which I later edit to send patches upstream. I merge
mac80211.git and mac80211-next.git to that tree to get mac80211
patches that come from upstream. In a sense, this tree looks like a
backport of wireless-testing with content that is not there yet.
You'll also find there "stable branches" that go through more thorough
test cycles against their matching firmware version.

I am not sure anyone is interested, but if someone wants, the tree is here:
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/iwlwifi/backport-iwlwifi.git/

A bit more info on the "stable branches":
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi/core_release

Drop me an email if you start to use this tree just to know if people
are really using it :)