2016-05-11 02:05:23

by andy

Subject: wifi driver crashes openwrt device

hello, every body.
I developed an openwrt device based on git clone
git://git.openwrt.org/15.05/openwrt.git.
I found that my device rebooted during wifi initializing sometimes, maybe
one in twenty.
The wifi driver is compat-wireless-2016-01-10.tar.bz2.
Could somebody give some hint or help me to resolve this wired issue?
Thank you very much.

2016-05-16 11:46:11

by Kalle Valo

Subject: Re: wifi driver crashes openwrt device

Bob Copeland <[email protected]> writes:

> On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 03:17:25PM +0000, andy wrote:
>> hello, every body.
>> I developed an openwrt device based on git clone
>> git://git.openwrt.org/15.05/openwrt.git.
>> I found that my device rebooted during wifi initializing sometimes, maybe
>> one in twenty.
>> The wifi driver is compat-wireless-2016-01-10.tar.bz2.
>> Could somebody give some hint or help me to resolve this wired issue?
>> Thank you very much.
>
> Hi Andy,
>
> You will probably need to capture a stack trace from the device in order
> for someone to be able to help, otherwise we can only guess. A serial
> console can help with that.

Didn't openwrt have a some sort ramoops facility to collect the last
kernel logs before a crash? I don't recall the name right now but I'm
pretty sure I used it with one of our APs few years back. That might
help (or not).

--
Kalle Valo

2016-05-15 17:47:38

by Bob Copeland

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 03:17:25PM +0000, andy wrote:
> hello, every body.
> I developed an openwrt device based on git clone
> git://git.openwrt.org/15.05/openwrt.git.
> I found that my device rebooted during wifi initializing sometimes, maybe
> one in twenty.
> The wifi driver is compat-wireless-2016-01-10.tar.bz2.
> Could somebody give some hint or help me to resolve this wired issue?
> Thank you very much.

Hi Andy,

You will probably need to capture a stack trace from the device in order
for someone to be able to help, otherwise we can only guess. A serial
console can help with that.

--
Bob Copeland %% http://bobcopeland.com/

2016-05-18 09:36:34

by Sven Eckelmann

On Monday 16 May 2016 14:46:07 Kalle Valo wrote:
[...]
> Didn't openwrt have a some sort ramoops facility to collect the last
> kernel logs before a crash? I don't recall the name right now but I'm
> pretty sure I used it with one of our APs few years back. That might
> help (or not).

He can just check if /sys/kernel/debug/crashlog exists after the device
crashed+rebooted.

I would also be good to have CONFIG_KERNEL_KALLSYMS=y set and compile the
kernel+modules with "KBUILD_CFLAGS += -fno-optimize-sibling-calls" to get
a (slightly) readable calltrace on things like MIPS.

Kind regards,
Sven

Attachments:
signature.asc (819.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part.