2016-09-15 15:23:46

by Andreas Mohr

Subject: wireless.wiki.kernel.org: lingering status of http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/wl12xx/calibrator/

Dear Mr. Berg,

since we are working with TI WL12xx hardware,
I keep a reference on
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/wl12xx/calibrator/ ,
where it now says:
"NOTE: this page is for archival only, see the note at the end of the page."
"This is a static dump of the old wiki, taken after locking it in January 2015. The new wiki is at https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/."
Trying to find related information
by searching for "calibrator" on https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org
will yield
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/nl80211?s[]=calibrator
where "wl12xx calibrator" is a *dead link*.
The apparent underlying reason for this surfaces when
going through the en ... users ... Drivers hierarchy to
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/wl12xx
where it says
"
For relicensing, the content of this page was removed.

The old website for now has a copy of the old content:

http://linuxwireless.sipsolutions.net/en/users/Drivers/wl12xx/?
"

Somehow I am not quite feeling entirely well with this status quo
(I would expect that that content *will* get lost, and possibly rather sooner than later,
since someone is bound to eventually say "the old site copy is not needed any more").

So,
are there some ways to improve the content situation,
or will this job then eventually need to be done by
last-ditch efforts (web.archive.org etc.)?

BTW, I realized that
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org does not seem to provide
contact information specific to Wiki maintenance aspects.
Perhaps this is because
the usual communication channels as listed e.g. on
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/support
are expected to be used,
but then there still is no explicit statement about Wiki-specific things
(the Best Practice solution would likely be to
add a one-liner saying e.g.
"When intending to provide input about Wiki-specific maintenance aspects,
please refer to the same general communication channels listed above.")

Ah, of course I should be checking out https://wiki.kernel.org/ -
but hmm that one does not list anything either...

Thank you,

Andreas Mohr

2016-09-16 16:27:16

by Andreas Mohr

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 11:31:28AM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> > The apparent underlying reason for this surfaces when going through
> > the en ... users ... Drivers hierarchy to
> > https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/wl12xx
> > where it says
> > "
> > For relicensing, the content of this page was removed.
> >
> > The old website for now has a copy of the old content:
> >
> > http://linuxwireless.sipsolutions.net/en/users/Drivers/wl12xx/?
> > "
>
> Right, so there were some people who couldn't be reached for
> relicensing of their submissions under the license the new wiki
> requires. The wl1251 and wl12xx pages were removed since I couldn't
> reach Gery Kahn and Oz Krakowski, or they couldn't agree to
> relicensing, I don't remember. I still have the Google spreadsheet that
> tells me who it was though :-)

Hmm, would be nice if that situation were sufficiently easily improvable still...
(however sometimes RL ain't that easy after all).

> I have no intention of removing it, since it's a static HTML site and
> has no maintenance overhead.

Sufficiently solid intentions, given status quo.
(so that content likely won't be available in one hundred years,
but now there's hope that it will remain available
over a "sane" remaining lifetime span of these devices... ;)

> > So, are there some ways to improve the content situation,
> > or will this job then eventually need to be done by last-ditch
> > efforts (web.archive.org etc.)?
>
> I can't side-step the licensing issue, so no. You can download and
> store locally everything you need, I guess.

Dito.

(I already had the same thought and had acted accordingly)

Thank you for your service!

Andreas Mohr

2016-09-16 09:31:33

by Johannes Berg

Hi,

> since we are working with TI WL12xx hardware,
> I keep a reference on
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/wl12xx/calibrator/ ,
> where it now says:
> "NOTE: this page is for archival only, see the note at the end of the
> page."
> "This is a static dump of the old wiki, taken after locking it in
> January 2015. The new wiki is at https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/."

Indeed, we migrated the wiki to new infrastructure hosted on kernel.org
back then.

> Trying to find related information by searching for "calibrator" on
> https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org will yield
> https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/nl80211?
> s[]=calibrator where "wl12xx calibrator" is a *dead link*.
> The apparent underlying reason for this surfaces when going through
> the en ... users ... Drivers hierarchy to
> https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/wl12xx
> where it says
> "
> For relicensing, the content of this page was removed.
>
> The old website for now has a copy of the old content:
>
> http://linuxwireless.sipsolutions.net/en/users/Drivers/wl12xx/·
> "

Right, so there were some people who couldn't be reached for
relicensing of their submissions under the license the new wiki
requires. The wl1251 and wl12xx pages were removed since I couldn't
reach Gery Kahn and Oz Krakowski, or they couldn't agree to
relicensing, I don't remember. I still have the Google spreadsheet that
tells me who it was though :-)

> Somehow I am not quite feeling entirely well with this status quo
> (I would expect that that content *will* get lost, and possibly
> rather sooner than later, since someone is bound to eventually say
> "the old site copy is not needed any more").

I have no intention of removing it, since it's a static HTML site and
has no maintenance overhead.

> So, are there some ways to improve the content situation,
> or will this job then eventually need to be done by last-ditch
> efforts (web.archive.org etc.)?

I can't side-step the licensing issue, so no. You can download and
store locally everything you need, I guess.

johannes