2017-10-10 11:44:10

by Himanshu Jha

Subject: Contributing to Linux-wireless drivers.

Hello everyone,

Apologies for that forwarded email which I hurriedly sent without
editing here!

I am an undergraduate student in ECE(3rd year) and wish to contribute to linux-wireless
drivers. I am familiar with the kernel development process and have many
patches accepted in the past 2 months with variety of tools used such as
coccinelle, Kasan, smatch, sparse and checkpatch.

My past contributions can be found here:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/log/?qt=grep&q=Himanshu+Jha

Also, James Cameron suggested me to *not self promot* and other useful
stuff. But I'm not self promoting and the purpose is to avoid the
initial steps that you generally recommend to a newbie like reading the
conding guideline, submitting patches, learn Git etc.

I have basic knowledge of Linux kernel internals and competent C skills,
also planning to learn Device Drivers in future.

Also, since I am beginner is there any small project that I could work on
to enhance my knowledge.
For eg:
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/gsoc/2010/wifi-test-nl80211
It is an excellent page for a beginner like me that states what should
you follow and what documenation to read and other useful stuffs.

Please share any links to Documentation/tutorials which I can follow and
help the community.

Lastly, I will next year surely apply for GSoC under Linux-wireless and
I don't seem to find any participation since 2012. Could someone please
explain ? Also, will Linux-wireless participate next year ?

Basically, I want to be prepared beforehand so that I could contribute
successfully!

Thanks
Eagerly awaiting your response,
Himanshu Jha

2017-10-10 22:23:47

by James Cameron

Subject: Re: Contributing to Linux-wireless drivers.

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 05:14:02PM +0530, Himanshu Jha wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Apologies for that forwarded email which I hurriedly sent without
> editing here!
>
> I am an undergraduate student in ECE(3rd year) and wish to contribute to linux-wireless
> drivers. I am familiar with the kernel development process and have many
> patches accepted in the past 2 months with variety of tools used such as
> coccinelle, Kasan, smatch, sparse and checkpatch.
>
> My past contributions can be found here:
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/log/?qt=grep&q=Himanshu+Jha
>
> Also, James Cameron suggested me to *not self promot* and other useful
> stuff. But I'm not self promoting and the purpose is to avoid the
> initial steps that you generally recommend to a newbie like reading the
> conding guideline, submitting patches, learn Git etc.

Last time I'll try that privately. Now I'm publically outed for it.
I keep making this mistake.

For completeness, what I had said was;

> > Self promotion is not often acceptable. For background on
> > culture, see http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

and Himanshu said they wanted to avoid being told the initial steps
again, to which I replied;

> > Good point. However even as a grey beard, I can still get told
> > these things; it reflects more on them than me.
> >
> > An alternate method would be to say what you have done without
> > using any words that measure or evaluate what you have done.

However, I am curious to know if there will be a GSoC engagement by
Linux Foundation in the linux-wireless scope. It would be fun to
watch and learn.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/