2018-08-07 00:20:15

by Tomasz Kalbarczyk

Subject: Promiscuous (not monitor) Mode support for ath10k

Hello,

I have a QCA6174 and I'm running tcpdump on the wireless interface to
listen for packets. I can receive packets addressed directly to the
device, but not any other packets on the network.

Does anyone know the status of promiscuous mode support on ath10k?
Note that this is different from monitor mode / supported on a larger
subset of hardware. Dmesg merely indicates that the device has
"entered promiscuous mode" when tcpdump is initiated.

Here is a link to similar discussion regarding the ath9k a few years
back: https://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=135936563626791&w=2

Thanks for the help!
Tomasz

2018-08-14 01:25:01

by Brian Norris

On Mon, Aug 06, 2018 at 06:08:46PM -0400, Tomasz Kalbarczyk wrote:
> Hello,

Hi!

> I have a QCA6174 and I'm running tcpdump on the wireless interface to
> listen for packets. I can receive packets addressed directly to the
> device, but not any other packets on the network.
>
> Does anyone know the status of promiscuous mode support on ath10k?
> Note that this is different from monitor mode / supported on a larger
> subset of hardware. Dmesg merely indicates that the device has
> "entered promiscuous mode" when tcpdump is initiated.
>
> Here is a link to similar discussion regarding the ath9k a few years
> back: https://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=135936563626791&w=2

This might be relevant:

commit df1404650ccbfeb76a84f301f22316be0d00a864
Author: Johannes Berg <[email protected]>
Date: Wed Apr 22 14:40:58 2015 +0200

mac80211: remove support for IFF_PROMISC

This support is essentially useless as typically networks are encrypted,
frames will be filtered by hardware, and rate scaling will be done with
the intended recipient in mind. For real monitoring of the network, the
monitor mode support should be used instead.

Removing it removes a lot of corner cases.

Regards,
Brian

2018-08-14 02:53:20

by Tomasz Kalbarczyk

Thanks for the info, Brian! This is unfortunate. Coincidentally, I
came across this commit earlier today...I=E2=80=99ll see what I can do abou=
undoing the changes in my kernel or at least making the necessary
changes to prevent the driver from filtering non-multicast packets
addressed to other destinations.

Best,
Tomasz